SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - now with FIXED head gasket

Guest Breadvan72

Those engines never fail to amuse me.  Such a large block, such restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds.

I broke a valve spring on mine many years ago and decided to investigate the head, a Dave Vizard article on "How to gas flow your head for beginners" was my start point.

It is a 2300 so not a powerhouse by any measure and I wanted enough power to beat my work colleagues Capri 2.0S.

So I bought a full set of springs and valves and set about the head with a 3000rpm Black&decker and a grindstone on a flexi drive.

I never worked out if it was the better springs, the number of casting defects I smoothed out or the six cans of Stella I went through whilst grinding away but the finished article was night and day difference. 

Solid front discs suddenly became  a huge liability but my friend had a drive of it and within weeks had chopped his Capri in for an Xr4x4i

The shims are a pain in the arse though, still remember that bit, it was made easier by having a bloke in a brown overcoat at Hartwells that could dissapear into the stores with a list of shim sizes and just come up with the goods.

Its still in the garage, with rebuilt carbs needing a tune and I too would like to see how it runs with mega-squirt.

I just need to come up with a clear plan of what I need to do make it run squirted rather than aim for a fantasy wish list and build from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Those engines never fail to amuse me.  Such a large block, such restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds.

I wonder if there was some BL thinking behind that, since the manifolds on my XJ40 are notoriously restrictive, particularly the exhaust. The AJ6 block is also huge but it did start out with a diesel option, so it was engineered to be stronger than a normal petrol engine so it may just be a conincidence. Did 'The Rover' even talk to the spivs at Jaguar?.

I wouldn't use Megashit, but would use the ECU, loom, injectors and so on from a late 80's Motronic 1.3 such as an E34. That stands a chance of being reliable. You'd need to fit/machine a pick up point on the front pulley and drill tap the head for coolant sensors. A big project but worthwhile.

Friend had a B reg 2600SE in Oporto red. Very quick-quicker than my 3500SD1. Both cars were manual although I suspect my 3500 was not up to scratch. The 2600 would not have got close to my P6 3500S though-now that was quick-would wheelspin in 2nd.

Glad to see your keeping it- makes an ideal motorway muncher much like my Senstor.

Steve

A mate had an ex Met 2600, CYW576V. Based on a 2300 (no Nivomat, basic trim) with a 5 speed box, Minilites, Jaguar front brakes etc - it was a serious weapon and drove superbly. If you watch the very first episode of "Just Good Friends" from 1983, it appears in the scene where the law turn up to break up a pub fight. 

Guest Breadvan72

I need better brakes on the SD1, as now it is driving mucho well.   Maybe I should get some venty discs and have the calipers refurbed.  Or maybe I could try Jag XJS front brakes - which, apropos of nowt, is a common mod on Jensen Interceptors, which are underbraked in factory spec.

The brake pads on my Dolomite Sprint are living a short but cheerful life.  The front wheels are more black than silver most days.   

Guest Breadvan72

That was a lunch stop at a pub called the Old Ram, on the road between Ipswich and Norwich.  I had been to watch my daughter play cricket at an away match in  Ipswich (she goes to school in Holt).   The car is currently at Burnham Overy Staithe, north Norfolk. 

Guest Breadvan72

It's all rather simple, really, although my ex wife's decision to live in north Norfolk (my daughter goes to school in Holt) adds some logistical blah.  Anyway, the SD1 behaved itself well over several hundred hot miles.   It still has a problem with its oil pressure gauge, but is otherwise pretty spot on at present.  I even kept up with a BMW M4 which was caravan-hopping on a stretch of A road near Fakenham, as at high revs in third gear the Rover is quite a handy overtaking device.  

I'm all for people publicly denigrating both North Norfolk AND Rover SD1s.  This way, the former remains 'off the radar' and I can continue to enjoy it at leisure, and the latter remains a hopeful future purchase.

It really does look nice, BV.  Well done for sticking with it.

The brake pads on my Dolomite Sprint are living a short but cheerful life.  The front wheels are more black than silver most days.   

I put greenstuff pads in the staaag, only reason was the promise of reduction is brake dust

they are not bad, still get dust but I dont have to wash the front wheels after every journey now

Guest Breadvan72

Does that Engine Hoist have 'hover-pads' fitted?

Enabling movement on gravel..??

TS

It's actually an Idiran gun platform lying in wait for a Culture GCU.  It does not realise that the Sherpa van is in fact an ROU.