Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - coming on the market for sale

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#451 OFFLINE   somewhatfoolish

somewhatfoolish

• Full Members
  • 203 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationArgyll&Buteshire

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

I think ARONLINE goes into a little detail about the detuning done to avoid embarrassing the V8. A bunch of bananas exhaust manifold shouldn't outrageously spendy, although an injection inlet manifold would be spenner unless you have workshop skilz and the patience to wrangle a Megasquirt into functionality; Perhaps the advent of affordable additive manufacturing will allow dedicated BL lickers to find out how much OMGBHP a 24V 2.9 would have put out. An OMGTURBO!!! 2.6 would be more practical if rather less OMG!
  • Breadvan72 and Stevebrookman like this

#452 ONLINE   Lord Sward

Lord Sward

• Full Members
  • 1,449 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

The engine could have been developed for the 80s and 90s, but wasn't.  A twin cam head, 24 valves, fuel injection, and all that sort of thing.  In the event it never went beyond its initial incarnation. 

Rumour has it, there is DNA from this engine in my TD5. Solihulls legacy?

Thanked by 1 Member:
Skizzer

#453 OFFLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 5,379 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

In the late 80's piper made a cam for this engine and GDS exhausts also made a performance system.

#454 OFFLINE   Rovorsche

Rovorsche

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 46 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

Those engines never fail to amuse me.  Such a large block, such restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds.

I broke a valve spring on mine many years ago and decided to investigate the head, a Dave Vizard article on "How to gas flow your head for beginners" was my start point.

It is a 2300 so not a powerhouse by any measure and I wanted enough power to beat my work colleagues Capri 2.0S.

So I bought a full set of springs and valves and set about the head with a 3000rpm Black&decker and a grindstone on a flexi drive.

I never worked out if it was the better springs, the number of casting defects I smoothed out or the six cans of Stella I went through whilst grinding away but the finished article was night and day difference. 

Solid front discs suddenly became  a huge liability but my friend had a drive of it and within weeks had chopped his Capri in for an Xr4x4i

The shims are a pain in the arse though, still remember that bit, it was made easier by having a bloke in a brown overcoat at Hartwells that could dissapear into the stores with a list of shim sizes and just come up with the goods.

Its still in the garage, with rebuilt carbs needing a tune and I too would like to see how it runs with mega-squirt.

I just need to come up with a clear plan of what I need to do make it run squirted rather than aim for a fantasy wish list and build from there.

• Lord Sward, oman5, somewhatfoolish and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users