SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - now with FIXED head gasket

Guest Breadvan72

The modern Jag lights are totes shizbat.

Same with one of my Mercedes - the S211 headlights are tragic, whereas those on the X164 would, conservatively, light Wembley Stadium. All the way from Watford.

Then again, those on the 164 are Xenon (yay!), the others were designed to be but as it's a poverty model have cheapo halogen (boo, utter bag of weasels) instead. You'd get more light from a candle. Even an unlit candle. 

I bet they have been replaced with this semi newfangled H4 bollox.

Rip them out and put back proper Sealed Beams.

You could get sealed beams on the XJ40. SNG Barratt were selling them for pennies in a stock clearance a few years back, so I got a set to try out. Honestly, they were dimmer than a sunburned glow worm. They even looked a bit orange to the eye.

X-Type lights are fairly tragic but the headlights on my XJ40 are pretty good, especially on dip beam. Notably better than the E91 BMW I also sometimes drive.

I had twin headlights on my XJ40, I honestly think they are the best headlights I've owned.

I had twin headlights on my XJ40, I honestly think they are the best headlights I've owned.

My car has the Fishtanks. They are similar to the twin headlights on dipped beam, but not quite as strong as them on full beam. The full beam on the twin-headlight XJ40 is the most powerful I have seen on a car as well.

Guest Breadvan72

Oil pressure gauge now fixed.  

Oil level warning light may have dodgy wire, tbc.

Losing some coolant, to be investigated.  Previous owner did head gasket, hope he did it propah like.  No major OMGHGF signs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Breadvan72

At last, proper Rover happiness!

I can haz OMGHGF!

Not catastrophic, but a small leak somewhere.  The car still drives OK at present, and isn't overheating, mayonnaising, or spaffing about in general.

The bloke who sold the car to me told me that he had had the gasket done "just in case".  I wondered about this.  Maybe it had gone before, and was replaced badly, or there was some warpage not attended to, but I have a spare gasket kit in the shed and the mechanic will come and fix it shortly, and check for warpage or other borkage while he is at it. 

Guest Breadvan72

It hasn't broken down!  I have just been for a zippy drive in it, up and down some actual roads.  Coolant level stable.  K Seal WINNAFLUID seems to be working.    Anyway, the plan is to torture you in the Dolly, or even the super-shonkster XJS if that gets fixed in time.   

Guest Breadvan72

There is a brown V12 pre facelift one at that car auction today, estimate only 2 to 3K , which seems low.   The best bargs currently are the late full-facelift 6 cylinder cars, as they are not as popular as early cars and V12s, but have useful things like coil packs and ABS and so on, and are viable daily drivers if you don't might mid 20s pez bills.  

I am hoping that mine (half facelift 6 cyllinder) will be rescued and painted and so forth later this year, but I might have to sell the Rover to fund that, so, tricky one.

My ideal one would be a facelift BRG with light interior 4.0 manual on lattice wheels. I'd keep that forever.

However what with needing a place to live etc it won't be happening this year :(