SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - now with FIXED head gasket

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

Mine is BRG (or will be when the scabby and multicoloured bits are painted) and has a light interior and lattices, but is an auto.  I think that I saw a manual facelift car for sale online the other day, but am not sure that it was green.     I agree that this tedious stuff about having to pay for food, digs, tax and stuff is a right pain and a most unreasonable impediment to car buyage.

Guest Breadvan72

On Thursday I drove the SD1 through OMGSTROMKAOS to that London for a bit of work and fun related stoppage over.  The big old thing feels the wind a bit, but has pretty good aerodynamics and a big chinny spoiler and so forth, so doesn't get blown around like, say, the Dolomite does. The coolant level in the expansion tank has not gone down, and the coolant light hasn't come on again, so thus far the K Seal seems to be doing its bodgetastic best.

It was pleasant driving down Regent Street with the roof and windows open yesterday morning. Van drivers like the car.  Lots of oi mates, what's that, and what year, and thumbs ups, and so forth. The car park dude at Middle Temple came over as I parked up, I thought to give me a bollocking for not displaying a parking sticker, but in fact to glom the car, and tell about his love of 827s.

Trip Advisor bit:  Here is the car outside a pretty good and not stupidly priced hotel in Marylebone, called Durrant's. Old school, slightly faded small hotel that has not gone hipster-boutique (with corresponding price hike), and has a decent bar and restaurant, although we went out to get pissed with my nephew and his charming, clever and sensationally smoking girlfriend at a groovy fakey Austrian place called Fischer's on Marylebone High Street.  Note to self: do not drink like thirty year old when out with thirty year old.   I am supposed to be doing culcha and lunch and stuff today, but think that I may bail on hangover grounds.

post-5528-0-00780100-1488008047_thumb.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

The Rover has just spent almost four days sat on its arse at a railway station, because I mistakenly thought that it was borked.  I had stupidly hit the switch to turn the interior lights on (while fumbling to switch on the rear wiper), and ran for a train before I could figure out what I had done.  I went and jump-started the unjustly accused car earlier today. 

As usual when not driving the car, I had again been thinking of selling it (not because of the supposed but not existent lights fault but just because).  Then I drove it back home today, and as usual decided that I really like it.  Mrs BV likes it too, which is something, as she hates most of the old skankers that I buy.

Guest Breadvan72

The cheapo card surface above the instrument pod is making the usual bid for freedom, and the gap between it and the instruments is becoming a bit of a chasm, getting worse every time that the car goes out in the sunshine.

Have any of the local SD1-botherers had any success with glue, double-sided tape, hitting it with massive hammers, swearing, setting fire to it, etc?

Can you fashion a new one from better material? Anyone got a flat one for sale?   3D print?

Mine is sort of tan coloured - I will check the correct name for the colour in due course.

It may be possible to buy an Indian one as used in the Indian Standard cars. I haven't done any eBay or Rimmer etc browsing yet, but wonder if there are any favoured solutions to this familiar problem.

Thanks for all helpful suggestions, and also for (most) unhelpful ones. Bonus points for "scrap the heap, M8, it's a goner".

post-5528-0-98083200-1488889887_thumb.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

Apparently Rimmer Bros do a fibreglass thing in grey, that you can paint, or summat.  I will check.  Probably costs eleventy zillion quid, because Rimmer, but I shall see.

Guest Breadvan72

post-5528-0-55614900-1489094732_thumb.jpg

Rover used as transport for a dirty stop out night in Oxford - the old prison is now a Malmaison, and one of the better ones.  I went off and drank 97 Negronis with an old friend, whilst Mrs BV hooked up with one of her old friends for some culture and eats.  The studes were being a bit quiet last night, but there were quite a few townies out on the lash and being a bit lairy.

Then today the car got a good wash as it is off on a collection mission tomorrow. 

Guest Breadvan72

That is indeed the consensus on the FB SD1 Club chatterings.

PS: nearside rear tyre was a bit low, as picture shows, so have pumped it up and will keep and eye on it in case of slow puncture or whatevs.

Guest Breadvan72

Booking.com discount deals can take the edge off the bill.  It's a good building and the conversion has been done well, I reckon.  Two cells make up each room in the main bit, but we were in the bit that used to be the Governor's pad.

Guest Breadvan72

All that playing with Granada Ghia toys has helped me to discover two things that I previously didn't know about my SD1.  First, it has a lumbar support thing that you can adjust.  Secondly, it has a map light. Luxo, or what?

I shall stop driving the car for a bit.  The oil has no evident mayo, and the coolant isn't oily, and the car runs fine and doesn't get hot, but I don't want to corrode or otherwise knacker the insides of the engine (or add to whatever borkage I may already have inflicted). Mech bloke is still waiting for his arm to recover from an op, so it may be a few weeks before he can change the head gasket.  I might ask a local garage who are OK with old cars to do it.

Guest Breadvan72

There are definitely some gases getting into the cooling system - hence the bubbling and spaffing from the header tank.  I lobbed a glug of coolant in through the filler aperture (not the header tank) on Saturday, as the system had lost a bit during our exploits (and the car had used a bit of oil as well).  The exhaust isn't appearing to emit undue amounts of steam, or oil smoke, or owt like that.  

You will have noticed that on the open road the temp needle rarely gets above the 1/4 position.  In slow City traffic it sits at half way.   When I left the car running at Chieveley Services while we chatted to that bloke with the Jag (after your attempt at off road adventure-driving the Granny), the needle climbed to the right of centre, but didn't get into or even very near the red zone.  

• 1 month later...

Head gaskets aren't a bad job on the 2600 and bits are cheap from Rimmers.

I'd have thought so, it is based on the Standard/Triumph pushrod 6 which is simple as a simple thing, the only added complication being the cam belt and the OMGNOOILFEEDTOTHECAMSHAFT valve.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Breadvan72

The previous owner of this SD1 had the head gasket done.  The person who did that job failed to tighten one of the head bolts.    It was completely loose. Thus the head gasket popped again.  Mark the mobile mech, whom I warmly recommend, has taken the cylinder head off, and his tame engineering firm are skimming the head for £85 quid.  

The head has also been de-sludged.  The valves and camshaft seem OK.

Once all back together again, I will prep the car to be sold.  

18519867_1431070343582682_53445521510257

18527656_1431070470249336_26818024486171

18527972_1431070640249319_38815176522782

Guest Lord Sward

Those engines never fail to amuse me.  Such a large block, such restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds.

Guest Breadvan72

The engine could have been developed for the 80s and 90s, but wasn't.  A twin cam head, 24 valves, fuel injection, and all that sort of thing.  In the event it never went beyond its initial incarnation. 

I am getting the cam belt and alternator belt changed when the head goes back on, and a couple of other little things fixed.  I shall miss this car if I sell it, but I don't use it enough.  

I think ARONLINE goes into a little detail about the detuning done to avoid embarrassing the V8. A bunch of bananas exhaust manifold shouldn't outrageously spendy, although an injection inlet manifold would be spenner unless you have workshop skilz and the patience to wrangle a Megasquirt into functionality; Perhaps the advent of affordable additive manufacturing will allow dedicated BL lickers to find out how much OMGBHP a 24V 2.9 would have put out. An OMGTURBO!!! 2.6 would be more practical if rather less OMG!

Guest Lord Sward

The engine could have been developed for the 80s and 90s, but wasn't.  A twin cam head, 24 valves, fuel injection, and all that sort of thing.  In the event it never went beyond its initial incarnation. 

Rumour has it, there is DNA from this engine in my TD5. Solihulls legacy?