SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - now with FIXED head gasket

Guest Breadvan72

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Breadvan72

Minor sunroof faff.   When driving at high speed the roof comes slightly open at the front right, so that at the rear right it sits slightly low. It does not appear to let in water, but I think that the wind noise is increased. One of the SD1's relatively few vices in use is wind noise, so adding to this isn't a good idea. I don't mind the noise, of course, when I choose to have the sunroof open 

I can't see an obvious fix at the moment, but will do some jiggling.

Guest Breadvan72

Acording to SD1 wonkery in Facebook, there is an adjustment screw underneath the runners that should fix this.  I will give it a try.

Guest Breadvan72

Manual seems to have been the spec for 1982 judging by the brochure.  A power sunroof might have been an option on yours. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Breadvan72

This thread started off in mid 2015 with me wondering whether to buy a mid noughties Jaguar X Type Estate.  I went off that idea and, encouraged by various feckless loons on here, I bought an SD1 instead.

As it happened, I ended up buying a mid noughties X Type Estate last November (so far seems to be OK), and in the recent past I had rather gone off the Rover, so it had been sat on its arse for a while. Until tonight, that is, when on a random whim I took it out for a night drive on ye countrye lanes, and was reminded what a good car it is.  Hey, it even has headlights that illuminate more than a metre in front of the car (X Type take note).

The car has a couple of minor niggles at present.  The low coolant light keeps coming on even though there is plenty of coolant, and the low oil light also comes onfor a few seconds after starting even though the oil is up to the top of the dipstick.  The oil pressure gauge is lacking a feed at present. These are, however, small matters. The small bit of bleb that the car had near its tailgate when I bought it has not got any worse in 18 months, but a bit of grot has started on the rear passenger door. Otherwise, all good.

I still might try to sell the Rover in a bit, as it is to be honest a bit surplus to requirements, and I could do with a few quid.  Rofflage would involve a bit of an expensive ticket, although the chance of getting a much better than average SD1 for (say) something under £100 might appeal to some. Anyway, in the meantime I must drive the car more.  It's really quite a good thing.

Hey, it even has headlights that illuminate more than a metre in front of the car (X Type take note).

You know, I always thought the trade off of this newfangled globaltosh dazzling the living daylights

out of my sore old eyes is that their drivers can see all the way to Norfolk at night, but having driven

some of this novel clobber recently, I also noticed that one can't see shit.

So effectively, they burn away my retina for sod all benefit.

Well, why am I not surprised?

Guest Breadvan72

Yup, the lights on the SD1 are acetastical.  The Dolomite lights are dire, but it is from the proper olden days.  The modern Jag lights are totes shizbat.

PS: go to bed.