Sold Renner 5 Eckstra.

yellowperil

I didn't get to do a Collectshun thread and my Internet has reverted back to dial up for the last three weeks so at last here is an update...

The collectshun went ok and when i got there the vender pointed out a few things that he hadn't mentioned on the Ebay listing.

These were new alternator, glow plugs, tyres and a full tank of diesel.

The tank is a 5 gallon jobbie that lives behind the drivers seat.

post-19675-0-77954000-1434982219_thumb.jpg

The first thing i noticed when i drove away was a strong diesel smell...

The van ran perfectly at 70mph the 150 miles home, unfortunately i didn't fare so well, developing a headache within minutes of getting on the M25.

I had taken my medicine with me but it was in our other car with the wife following. As soon as we got on the M11 i stopped at the first services and downed three aspirin, it didn't really help and by the time i had got to Wymondham about 20 miles from home the pain in my head was intense and my speech had gone all slurred,

I then took one of my prescription Migraine melts and carried on, somehow i made it home to bed.

I am still not sure if it was diesel fumes or bad luck that i got a migraine.

I have taken the tank out and it isn't leaking and none of the connections are either, but the diesel smell has been quite bad although it seems to be better now.

There was a spill mat under the tank and this was saturated and so was the carpet, both were binned and everything scrubbed with listerene and then a layer of soda crystals put down.

Don't try and clean diesel with Listerene as the smell of both of them mixed is terrible and twice as strong.

My guess is that the hose from the filler to the tank has split at some time ( it looks quite new) and caused a leak and been replaced, but the van wasn't cleaned out properly.

The condition of the van is very good and i can only find one bit of rust under the windscreen

post-19675-0-56989300-1434984188_thumb.jpg

The faults i have found so far are... The windscreen washer doesn't work and the instrument lights are very dim.

I must admit it is a bit of a novelty going to work with a roof, windscreen and a heater. I usually leave my house at 05:50 and it is still chilly even this time of year sometimes.

There was a fair bit of mickey taking the first time i turned up to work in it, but some people did say it they actually liked it. I don't really care either ways. A 660 litre bin was put in the back when i got back to the yard on the first day, luckily i noticed before i drove home.

In the last three weeks i have done 750 miles with no trouble apart from this morning when she stopped on the way to the garage, luckily some lads pushed me onto the forecourt and i filled her up.

She then refused to start and that point i realised i know nothing about diesels.

post-19675-0-77483800-1434985186_thumb.jpg

When the ignition is turned off the needle on the fuel gauge goes right down, but when the diesel tank is empty and the ignition is turned on the needle stays on the first line. How even! The low fuel warning light never came on. The result was she had run out of Diesel.

A quick call to the wife who is in the RAC and she came out in her car and rang them up before she left.

The RAC man showed me how to bleed the system and she fired up straight away.

A few photos...post-19675-0-80778100-1434981255_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-77954000-1434982219_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-56989300-1434984188_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-77483800-1434985186_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-08184500-1434985678_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-29959800-1434986117_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-05867300-1434986205_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-51656700-1434986463_thumb.jpg

post-19675-0-04928000-1434986588_thumb.jpg

I have yet to try and put a motorcycle in the back, but i am pretty sure it will fit, i did talk to a racer at Mallory Park a few years ago and he had all his gear, tools and a Vincent in a Renault 4, and that's like one less than a Renault 5, Man.

post-19675-0-26282300-1434985970_thumb.jpg

I had the 1.6D van (L reg NEW) and it had an appetite for injector pipes - cracking at the head not the dist end.

Breakdown guy fitted a 'hard/flexi plastic' one to get me home once... I kept it... then, after the dealer fitted the new pipe - and it went again -  I spannered my own way home.. :-P

I drove down a 'spiral ramp' out of a car park once [tank low] and it stopped... I didn't know how to prime it... breakdown guy gave the 'pompe balloon' a couple of puffs & off I went.

The starter motor went - it has an unusual number of teeth (not common part).

The steel pipe, behind the head for coolant (mebbies a w/pump link pipe) rotted away.

No PAS.... shoulders of Hercules, I had....  :?

It was OK

TS

Looking at those photos i can see my lawn looks terrible, I was going to cut it this afternoon but the rain put paid to that.

I said to the missus it looked a bit like a Rancho and then had to Google Rancho because she no understand what they look like.

I was lucky i spotted it on Ebay minutes before it ran out, nobody bid on it except me after speed reading the listing.

After i won it i read the listing through slowly quite a few times looking for the catch as it were, but i think it was just a badly worded listing.

Somebody at work gave me a bottle of polish the other day, so it might even get a spruce up soon.

One thing i have noticed is most other drivers seem to be kind when i'm driving it, it must get the sympathy vote.

• 7 months later...

Slight update...

Le fourgonnette de la merde est mort.

It is currently languishing in a yard with OMGHGF.  The cost of repair exceeds the amount she is worth and the MOT is spent.

I am currently trying to find a Renner 5 diesel engine so i can get her up and running, i have been advised that even if i do the gasket myself it will still be too expensive.

Most people who have looked at it have told me to scrap it, but i can't.

Fugging old heap is slow and loud, but i think i have fallen in love with its Anti-coolness and i know if i get rid i will regret it.

It does. I'd like to take this opportunity to issue an official warning that is not acceptable to have a lawn on this forum.

We have standards,they're just a little bit lower than you might expect.

Those Extras must be pretty rare now, can't remember the last time I saw one.  Good luck with the repairs, if you're able to do the work yourself surely a gasket and head skim wouldn't be too expensive?

There's plenty of crashed Clio 172s around...... just saying, like.

Anyway, I sort of missed this the first time around. Honest question, is it actually a Renault Five underneath? I thought these were just called the Express, they don't seem to have much in common cosmetically with the 5 hatch. But this has weird back lights compared to a regular Express too.

Anyway, I sort of missed this the first time around. Honest question, is it actually a Renault Five underneath? I thought these were just called the Express, they don't seem to have much in common cosmetically with the 5 hatch. But this has weird back lights compared to a regular Express too.

I think the R5 is to the Extra what the Visa is to the C15, and the SEAT Ibiza to the SEAT Inca - similar to the passenger car versions up to the B-pillar, where a box takes over.

IMG_20140726_162720_zpsgmwv2xep.jpg

There's an Extra with 225bhp on Retro-Rides, it looks great.

Another update...

I have been given a Citroen Xsara,  free, gratis and for nothing. I am picking that up from its MOT on monday ( have had to sell a pair of unused early eighties Micron expansion chambers to pay for that.)

After sitting down and discussing the situation with The Wife i have come to the conclusion that the Fourgonnette de la Spaccy has got to go. Transport has to be my priority.

So She is up for sale... 

Offers around £150 if any Autoshiter wants to save a rare two seater french (anti) cool vehicle.

Even if i factor in doing the work myself and everything going right, the cost of parts etc makes it uneconomic for me to do.

This is a decision i havn't taken lightly at all, but i have to concentrate my resources on getting the new car on the road.

The vehicle is located just off the A11 near Wymondham, Norfolk.

• 1 year later...