A Prelude to a nightmare

J-T

I really should keep off ebay! I have no use for this thing whatsoever, other than the fact I've always quite liked them. I saw it this morning with no bids on an auction that ended today and it was only 20 mins away, and it looked quite straight so I went and had a look and...well you can guess the rest! Don't even have a petrol station shot as it had a quarter tank in it, I is failing at the collectionz...

411410390.jpg

Eric the cat had a good look and deemed it worthy. So it's a '92 Prelude auto (as they always seem to be) 87k miles, giffer bumper protectors, giffer fog lamps and is quite a nice old thing really.

411410793.jpg

Sadly, my cat has no head.

411410794.jpg

Very deep space 9 in there.

411410795.jpg

That's brand new. £240 for a mid and centre section, jeeez!! No wonder there's not many left.

411410397.jpg

Dealer plates and shiz. Got they keyring too. Not really travelled far in 23 years.

411410796.jpg

Still got the mats too.

Drives nicely. It's not all sweetness though, it needs one or both wheelbearings at the back, one rear arch has a bleb at the end and the other is just starting, there's a similar bleb in the corner of the rear windscreen too but I don't think that's too bad for a 23 year old Honda. It's obviously been looked after and has clean oil. The gearbox has a sports mode which appears to put a light on the dash and not much else, it's certainly no ball of fire but can be cajoled along nicely. Although I did shit myself when the limits of its 'Tigar' tyres were reached somewhat earlier than I anticpated in the wet earlier. I think you'd get more grip from soap dipped in washing up liquid but there's loads of tread on them all so they're staying. Oh yeah, check out my OZ rims yo! The bloke selling it said it desperately needed 'a good set of 18"s" about which I quietly witheld judgement so I'm at least glad it's been saved that indignity in it's autumn years.

So what now? Errrr, don't know really. I'll clean it up a bit, give it a service and probably move it on again when I'm bored. I'm cornering the market in 90s coupes.

Oh and how's this for annoying - I had a load of change fall out my pocket when I got in as it's sat on the frigging floor and a coin rolled into seat mechanism. For reasons unknown my stepdad got in and immediately decided to adjust the backrest (it was fine) and now it's jammed virtually bolt upright, so looks like I'll be ripping the seat apart. Thought the 20p was meant for the handbrake?.....

My first true love had one of these brand new years ago. We went to loads and loads of gigs around the country in it. It was awesome and felt very solid inside, it was a manual P reg with digital dashboard. I forgot these existed, it's something I want to own soon, they can't be cheap for long.

The dash looks fairly modern now, it must have looked from the future in 1992!

It's just the 2.0, single cam I think, no VTEC gubbins here so quite sedate but nice to bumble about in. I'm not mad on the wheels but they're faily in keeping with the car. If I can find some standard ones or some off a Civic VTI I may swap them.

The seat recline lever is a general Honda 'feature' - 3dr Civics up to 2001, later Preludes and such do it too, it's a real PITA to adjust.

It's only the 1.8 five door VTi that's 4x114.3, the 1.6 3dr with fanblades is 4x100. There's a host of '90s Honda wheels that'd suit it.

I like these old 'Ondas, my cousin had  a similar age & spec one with the fancy-nancy electronic dash. I turned my nose up a bit at first when she offered to loan it to me, I was less picky when I drove it, I was impressed, not a ball-of-fire with the self-shifter but fun & I borrowed it quite often after that!

I agree with the sentiment made earlier that these were pretty much the zenith of Hondas style-wise I think.

What month was it registered?

Twas put on the road in May 1992.

Yeh, I'll be punting it on at some point. Still in the new purchase honeymoon period at the moment but I shall update on here when it's going.

They represent the peak of Honda as a car manufacturer - their later cars were uglier, less focussed, more cheaply built.

You're right but not just Honda, all Japanese cars peaked at that time before the bubble economy went belly-up. However Honda seemed to lead the others in terms of innovation. The design, engineering and build really was cost-no-object, as I suppose Mercedes-Benz used to be.

I like these, a lot. I imagine Michael Knight would have had one of these, if he was 73 and lived in a bungalow in Eastbourne. They seem (and I could be totally wrong about this) to have avoided the VTECKICKEDINYOSUBWAYRINGSTANCEJDM bellendery.

Another request for a night-time dash picture please.