Le Mans - A place where you can see heroes weep

Junkman

The site we were on is mostly French and very quiet no knobs on there. It is right next to the Thomas Cook site where there are plenty of twats with too much money driving Lambo's and Aston's like idiots up the entrance road. The worst offenders were Brits in a Boxster with a lack of talent and some dick in an M3, they both had near misses. Ticket prices are still reasonable so it isn't as if the average punter is priced out of it. They still had a grid of 60 cars but the lack of LMP1's may of put people off

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again. I am off on Saturday night with the caravan heading for my new favourite campsite chateaux de houx. We will be there from Sunday afternoon up until the Monday morning after the race. I think it will be even quieter this year with only really Toyota likely to take the win as Porsche have pulled out. There are rumours that from 2020 it might go back to a proper sportscar race getting rid of the prototypes. If any one needs any assistance whilst there or access to the ACO then pm me for my number.

I am leaving Chez Saabnut post Shitefest on Tuesday morning in the Cobra heading for Crawley. Thursday my brother in his Cerbera and I are convoying down to Le Mans, staying at Le Bounty until the Monday  whence we return.

The Classic is the main event this year for us.

I'm off there tomorrow, picking a friend up on route to Hull for the overnight to Zeebrugge then just over 500km to a  lady friend who lives near the Porsche Curves. I've not been for the last couple of years, be interesting to see how it compares to the Nurburgring 24h I was at a month ago.

I think my son was on the money when he said there have been a lot of changes at LM in the short time he's been going (1998) but none have improved it for him. Perhaps the ACO will think about the spectators a little more now the manufacturers are leaving.

That's why I stay at home and watch it via the cameras placed near the corporate hospitality units and the track.

Anyway, the preliminary entry list has been published: https://assets.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/courses/2018/24-heures-du-mans/entry-list-24-heures-du-mans-2018.pdf

Please note that the sports car makes participating outnumber the LMP1 manufacturers merely by 1!

Had Porsche and Audi not pulled out, there would be MOAR different LMP1 cars than sports cars.

The only trouble is that as a paying spectator you can't see them for all the corporate hospitality units and the 200 metre wide run off areas.

Ah, you need to stray past the confines of the pit and village area mon brave.

Or cross the track to the grandstand area opposite the pits. maybe that is 5 metres from the trackside

shit loads of viewing areas, 

arnage, mulsanne and tetre rouge are the furthest I have been. porsche curves can be accessed from beausejour campsite. you have to be pretty beeereed up not to find some pretty good quality trackside viewage.

Will be off tomorrowz evening

The comparison was with N24, though LM has gone hugely downhill from a spectators point of view compared to when I first went there in the 1980's. Last time I was there (2015?) the 1st right hander of the Porsche curves had no access to the outside, only the inside which is piss poor by comparison. My favourite viewing point was rooftop of the Alain Prost Karting on the outside of the last of the Porsche Curves but I fear this years 'improvements' will have taken that away too.

Don't forget to turn the heating on full and empty the bin on floor for maximum effect!  :-D

and when you want a shit and it is not 2:30 in the morning, stand outside the shithouse door with a soggy bog roll under you arm, looking at your watch for 45 minutes. then pretend that a cubicle has suddenly become free - anticipate a burly Danish bloke in a vest and loud patterned shorts exiting and shaking his head slowly at you.

If you are brave you go in, Hold your breath until you have dumped, if you dont pass out then fabulous. time for a victory beer.

sadly madame pipi no longer exists outside the camp shitakabins. while she scowled at you if you tipped less than a euro at least the place was clean. gladly pay 1 euro for my daily turkout at Lemons.

The LM toilet experience is something I'm spared these days as we stay at a private house close to the Porsche Curves but this is something I remember all too well, including the squat 'n' gos near the main entrance. 

By contrast last year at the N24 the temperature was in the 30's with 200000+ spectators and an hour after the race finished the toilet block in the dust bowl main campsite looked like this.

post-17633-0-06136000-1528828837_thumb.jpg

It may seem a bit pervy taking a pic of a public toilet block but folk who've been to LM or Santa Pod will understand!

I don't suppose the French thought twice about it, I used to stay with friends in Normandy quite often and the local bar just used the back garden as a urinal.

Where the British would be looking for a tree to hide behind it's common to see a Frenchman pissing at the side of the road waving to the traffic!

TBH the last time I was at the Classic the campsite at Maison Blanche was shite with no atmosphere due to reduced capacity; corporate bollocks I think . You couldn't even get onto the banking opposite the entrance when you couldn't be arsed going all the way to the grandstand, wankers!

I don't suppose the French thought twice about it, I used to stay with friends in Normandy quite often and the local bar just used the back garden as a urinal.

Where the British would be looking for a tree to hide behind it's common to see a Frenchman pissing at the side of the road waving to the traffic!

Its a national pastime. 

The bogs were quite shut some years ago but it has really changed in the last few years. On our campsite they are clean and well looked after. Security is certainly a lot better than it ever was. It was never easy to find a good viewing spot without paying for it which is why I have an aco membeship and get grandstand seats for the start. Like all events watching it on tv will give you a better idea of what is going on but where is the fun in that. It was an autograph session in the pits this afternoon and my Lad has his book signed by jenson button who really is a nice bloke.

Six-cylinder and I went to Le Mans in 2005 and stayed in a lovely old house in the middle of town.

post-22262-0-56504000-1528837267_thumb.jpg

From here we walked in to the town centre to see the Friday parade, which IIRC was celebrating the Corvette. There were several privately owned cars that had come over from the USA to take part in it.

post-22262-0-53450200-1528837278_thumb.jpg

It was very hot, around 34C for the Saturday and we took a couple of folding seat/stick things, lots of water and wide-brimmed hats to set up at the grid about 3 hours before the start of the race, to make sure we got a good view. Poor Six-cylinder doesn't like hot weather and found it quite hard going, but gamely he stayed put and was rewarded with a great view and the whole 'surround sound' experience at the off.

We took the car out later in the evening to drive around various viewing sites and were very pleased to discover the strength of its A/C. It was a bit of a surreal drive, but brilliant to get out to places where we could see all the action as the sun went down.

post-22262-0-54324800-1528837888_thumb.jpg

On advice from a friend, the following day we positioned ourselves at the finish line for, well, the finish...

post-22262-0-40962600-1528837273_thumb.jpg

We then made our way to the nearby trackside gates, in anticipation of them being opened. They were, so we crossed the track and stood in the crowd under the podium, just close enough to receive a few flicks of champagne.

post-22262-0-34520900-1528837282_thumb.jpg

It was great fun and I look forward to going again sometime. I still have a blue and a yellow painted stone liberated from one of the corners!

It got progressively worse to stay in though. The Danish and Swedes' who turned up on their party buses were good value as were most of the other campers, but dick heads racing Impreza's and Lancer's between the tents (yes, really) at silly speeds Sunday night, fuckwitts driving round sounding train horns on their cars at all hours and the like made me knock it on the head for good. I really must go back, but not to BSJ.

This is what drove us out of the sites, along with French neighbours blasting techno until after dawn and a large group straight opposite who turned up with a generator, mixing desk and mahoosive sound system. This wouldn't be so bad if the fuckers weren't nocturnal and never went anywhere near the track, mebby I'm just a grumpy old twat but it ain't no fun if you've actually gone to watch some racing. 

Tried to watch LeMans qualifying this evening but Eurosport won't work on Sky go for some reason.

Anyone have any idea where I can watch it live at the weekend...other than getting over there that is?

Cheers.

Shirley the place indicated by the thread title is the queue to the bogs, just near the end and the queue-ees get the full reality hit of what they're about to face in terms of the aroma of ten thousand open 3rd world sewers and the vision of watching all the preceding facilities users exit the area leaving a trail of shite and letters prohibiting bathing from their footwear?