Your ideal car?

Jason A

I know most of you seem to get through an awful lot of cars, but I got to wondering, what would be your ideal steed? Be more specific than just to say 'anything under £500 with a years tax and test. For my part, I'd go for a pre-facelift 2.8 Mk2 Granada (manual), as standard spec as poss (i.e. no electric windows which always seemed to stick on them)Had two now and apart from the thirst for fuel, was delighted with the mix of power and comfort.

Guest greenvanman

If by 'ideal' you mean 'something I'd love to own regardless of the fact that it would be completely impractical for daily use' then I'll say a Citroen Mehari. A bright orange one please.

Oh my God... don't think I can pick just one! Mk 1 Cortina 2 door GT with a V6 in it, in black with a silver "lotus" stripe, is probably top of the list... or would it be a Ford Pop street rod? Or a 57 Chevy Nomad? Then of course, there's always a Renner 25 V6 turbo Bacarra, also in black. Mercifully, these are choices I'll never have to make!! :lol:

I'd love a Lotus Carlton, such an awesome beast! Although I'd happily work my way upto that by starting off with a Lotus Sunbeam! :D I'd also rather like a very tasty BMW M635i in black of late 80s vintage.A Rover SD1 Vitesse is also something I like the thought of at least.None of these cars are a good idea in the current climate! :lol:

Alfa 155 Q4 or MG ZT 260 for me :D

I had a 155 Q4 when I worked in Italy many moons ago, replaced it with a 164 Q4.The 155 is like an Integrale with no soul. Quick and comfy, but not that much more interesting than much else out there - I actually preferred the 155 1.8 widebody to throw about, perversely enough.The 164 Q4 - now THAT is a car. Unfortunately I only had mine for about 3 months then had to give it back and come back to the UK :-(Traded a MG ZT-T 260 last year, probably my favourite car out of everything I've ever driven - and that ranges from Yugo 45s to Ferrari 355s. The only thing with the ZT-T 260 is it needs more power. Lovely car, fabulous soundtrack, excellent handling, but another 50 bhp would make the world of difference. Not having a spare is a slight irritation with them as well, on the ZT-T the engine management gubbins and sat nav stuff lives in the spare wheel well - although they do give you a bottle of tyre weld gunk.As for my perfect car, it's either a ZT-T with more power, or an alloy XJR.

1963 Ford Cortina 1500 Super :D

Any Mk 1 would be nice, and I do like the extra chrome trim on the Supers. But, I prefer 2 to 4 doors, and I much prefer the post face-lift front end and air-flow dash, and opening quarterlights, so it's got to be '65 for me!! Not too picky then! :lol:

Posted Image

A Diesel one too. Used to have one as a Taxi in the early 90's-comfy economical and a perfect normal car for me. But if anything goes then

Posted Image

One of my all time want's 8)

Alfa 155 Q4 or MG ZT 260 for me :D

I had a 155 Q4 when I worked in Italy many moons ago, replaced it with a 164 Q4.The 155 is like an Integrale with no soul. Quick and comfy, but not that much more interesting than much else out there - I actually preferred the 155 1.8 widebody to throw about, perversely enough.The 164 Q4 - now THAT is a car. Unfortunately I only had mine for about 3 months then had to give it back and come back to the UK :-(Traded a MG ZT-T 260 last year, probably my favourite car out of everything I've ever driven - and that ranges from Yugo 45s to Ferrari 355s. The only thing with the ZT-T 260 is it needs more power. Lovely car, fabulous soundtrack, excellent handling, but another 50 bhp would make the world of difference. Not having a spare is a slight irritation with them as well, on the ZT-T the engine management gubbins and sat nav stuff lives in the spare wheel well - although they do give you a bottle of tyre weld gunk.As for my perfect car, it's either a ZT-T with more power, or an alloy XJR.
Didn't even think of the 164 Q4,& I don't think I've ever seen one,I've only ever seen 2 or 3 155 Q4s.I'm used to having an MG with no spare though,my Express has a metal frame to support the wooden floor in the rear.This means a spare won't fit in the wheel well(not a full size one anyway),when it was new it came with a can of sealant too,a space-saver was optional :o

Posted Image

This, but with a non-emissions controlled, carb-fed 502. Possibly supercharged coupled to the strongest 5 speeder I could find. And twin exhaust pipes with no silencers. On the chassis side I'd uprate the brakes and stuff.

Inside I'd have a complete re-trim in the finest blue dralon, fit deep pile white floormats and a white mink headlining. I'd also try to make some modifications for lightness too, but god knows how.

ICE would have to be a full logic casette deck and AM/FM tuner with four speakers, and a graphic equaliser. Maybe a CB too.

Finally I'd get a cheapo Northern Irish plate "OIL 8200" or something rubbish.

At this moment in time.... Well if I could have anything at all it ould have to be a Landcrab with 2.0 perkins prima dnkey mated to a slushbox. Would of course have to have leather and wallnut.

You, are beyond perverse.
Just thinking the interoir would be a lovely place to insert myself into, whilst the donkey and cogs combo woud ensure gentle economy and pace. Why rush? it was rushing that got me into this mess, I need to take a leaf out f Hirst's book and slow down. Plus, all that chrome and all those grease nipples would make a lovely sunday morning.