Vectra on watchdog...

retrogeezer

The Clio bonnet catch thing on there seemed to go on for ever, a chap a work bought one in the last year and it is believed to already have a modified mechanism, fitted whilst with the previous owner. Renault recently sent him instructions on opening and closing the bonnet correctly, which was nice.

Hey I need a clutch kit for my old Galant and it's going to cost £15 for a new one, bonkers. About time I got rid of all these old motors, they're costing me a fortune, etc.

There's a whole heap of recalls from Vauxhall, but they seem particually lax in actually notifying owners, or even admitting to manufacturing defects.Example: Chap at work has a 53-plate Vectra. Alternator went pop, into the garage it went. Whilst it was there, he happened to google the fault and found the Vectra forum had dozens of posts about it, including some people who had it repaired for free. So he rang the dealer who had his car... "Oh no Sir, there's no known issues. £400 please". He finally tracked down the VX reference for the recall and went to the dealer in person, saving himself £400.Same guy, same car, coil pack or something went last year. Another recall. Different dealer. Another battle to get it fixed free.

I missed this, but assume it's the fuel pump on the 2.0DTI? There's loads of non-running Vectras and Mk4 Astras with this engine on the Bay, needing a new pump, at any given time.A friend of mine had the Mk2 Clio bonnet catch issue and the car is still in his garden - with a nicely creased bonnet and broken 'screen - 18 months later. No idea when he's going to get round to fixing it...

any wonder we buy £50 crap cars??

True, in most cases the faults would have been solved by now. I do remember some pretty serious defects 'Which' magazine and the other scare mongering media pointed out several years ago - most involved the words 'structural', 'rust', and 'deathtrap'. A neighbour had a Datsun Cherry FII in the mid 80's, and that was dispatched back to the Nissan garage to address a serious rust issue - I mean most Datsuns had a serious rust issue, but this was borderline suicide - something to do with the rear trailing arms/ suspension collapse I think. Nissan kept it mostly quiet but did manage to trace most cars - quite an achievement considering the oldest examples would have been 10 years old and owned by their 3rd or 4th owner. The Stanza had a serious recall too, I think to do with the handling - I can't be totally sure - I'll have to check my beloved 'what car' back issues.I would love to see lynfoldswood harping on about the inherit danger of loose valves firing into the passenger compartment of a Talbot Horizon.

The recall on Picasso's for the front springs were quite alarming, apparently the front springs would fracture allowing the raw edge of the spring to foul the inner edge of the tyres, scary or what. the cure was to fit shrouds around the bottom of said springs. however everyone I serviced shows signs of the shrouds rubbing on the inner wing cover :?:shock:

The recall on Picasso's for the front springs were quite alarming, apparently the front springs would fracture allowing the raw edge of the spring to foul the inner edge of the tyres, scary or what. the cure was to fit shrouds around the bottom of said springs. however everyone I serviced shows signs of the shrouds rubbing on the inner wing cover :?:shock:

Yeh, but any broken spring could foul a tyre...my neighbour asked me what the strange noise on his mondeo was once and it was the front spring digging into the tyre.Another few miles and it would have gone through for sure.

Oh. Very ungood. I have just been looking at the same page as you. Should I make Er Indoors aware of it...?Also note the Picasso page makes reference to "service brake linkage may become disconnected", I assume this alludes to the constant buggeration with the brake lights being either always on or always off?

Also note the Picasso page makes reference to "service brake linkage may become disconnected", I assume this alludes to the constant buggeration with the brake lights being either always on or always off?

I think that referred to a loss of handbrake :shock:Refer to the parking in gear thread :D :DI think the brake light thing is something to do with the multiplex wiring, no?

Brake light switch for Picc is located in the brake pedal (under rubber bit) and like mny Cirroens with this design is prone to phailing - usually in the on position. I went trough two switches ith the Xantia, but oddly none with the Blingo. The blingo did however bang and clang allarmingly over bumps in the roadd from the front suspension. Did I fix it? Did I fook like.....

Yes, I am now well versed in the act of contortion required to change said brake light switch. Our Picasso is now onto it's 3rd one, we have only had it 6 months. It's incredibly irritating, especially when you don't know it's gone... when it fails in the 'on' position you get some warning because you get a nice red glow from the high level brake light onto the parcel shelf at night. When it fails 'off' the first you know is when you get a tirade of abuse from some disgruntled chap who has narrowly avoided rear-ending you. Frustratingly we bought this car as a nice 'safe' option for running the poglets about in rather than some ancient 'death trap' that I would prefer, but that all becomes academic when you get shunted by someone who doesn't know you are stopping all due to a poxy design fault.

I always just expect new cars to have hugely expensive parts but I was alarmed to discover that a new hydraulic pump for a BX costs £2500 from the stealer! the parts guy reckons it is to actually stop people ordering it - what gives? is there only ONE in existence?Clio bonnet catch! I'd thought this was all old history until I saw a broken down car on the other side of the carriageway on half way along the Erskine Bridge the bonnet was snugly shaped to the windscreen! the winds can get high up on the bridge but that must have been a "FOOOOOOOOOOK!" situation. Just shows that some slip through the recall net!

Parts prices must be set at that level to encourage disposal of old BX and purchase of new C5 . The cycle of course being repeated in 10-15 years time to encourage disposal of old C5 and purchase of new C@%! .The Clio problem was surely exaggerated by thousands of fuckwitts not closing the bonnet properly, or pulling the release lever thinking it was the steering adjustment control or sommat. :roll:

As said thankfully for me its 2.2 Vectras. Still a bloody pain though for those who do own one.Where Vauxhall really dropped a bollock with the Vectra B was the 1,548,884 parts to the independent rear suspension, and the fact that the rose bushes wear out prematurely and are vary labour-intensive and therefore expensive to replace, as the whole suspension system has to be dismantled.I expect this type of car to quickly become rare as a result.

IainL, the Vectra A is our Cavalier Mk3, The Vectra B from 1996 to 2003, Vectra C from 2002 to 2009. The rear bushes on the Vectra B take about 25 minutes each, as they are part of the rear hub carrier assembly. It all stays on the car, and the best way out is with an air chisel. They need to be fully dismantled in order to remove them. (remove the steel rings that hold all the gubbins in. Then remove the rubbers,and then push the nylon centres out) Use the proprietary press tool to get them back in. Genuine bushes are £21 each plus vat.Vectra C upper rear arm bushes wear also, but are replaceable as arms. About 20 minutes a side. Genuine arms are about 75 quid a shot plus vat. The lower wishbones for the front are £180 ish each!!!!!

Blimey, this thread makes for some rather worrying reading, what's the story with the Clio bonnet catch? I picked a 1999 example for my old Father last summer, is there something I should be checking....

There was a issue originally where the bonnets were coming open and Renault were saying no problem its the punters' fault but in the end they did a modified catch, so should be OK now. But As xr1984 was saying it was getting a bit hyped up because it was on Watchdog nearly ever week so ther was probably at of a F/wit factor as well.

This is all reminiscentof the Ford Pinto scandal in the States in the late sixties/early seventies. The Pinto was designed with the fuel tank over the rear axle, unfortunatley, in even a low speed rear end shunt, the tank would rupture, and usually fry the unfortunate occupants. Ford knew all about this, but kept it quiet, as it was cheaper to pay the compensation than to re-design the car. Unfortunatley, someone in the press got hold of an internal Ford memo stating this, and the shiy promptly hit the fan....