Normal Car Insurance

theorganist

I am looking to aquire a cheap "modern" car mainly for mother to drive.

I hadn't actually realised the classic policies meant you didn't aquire a NCB and lost any aquired from previous policies. I know I should have known about classic policies will teach me to do more research in future!

I was looking at a mark 1 Y reg Megane Alize Sport which I quite fancied however the cheapest quotes I can find is nearly £600 thats for a 40 year old man who hasn't made any claims in well over 12 years and the last one was a successful claim against a third party! This were the big boys like Aviva and Churchill, the compare sites are little better.

I was hoping to get something I would find vaguely interesting and mum has driven a Megane before however I may be looking at a Fiesta or something!

Can anyone recommend anyone that they use who they consider to be good value?

Try Chris Knott Insurance, they are a broker who I've used for a while now, they'll basically beat whatever you have been quoted elsewhere by around 10%, provided you give them evidence this was a genuine quote - a screengrab of confusethemeerkatsupermarket.ru is absolutely acceptable.

You need to call them, but they are very helpful and efficient and UK based (Hastings I think). They have got a website and offer further discounts if you are a member of one of a long list of forums - not sure if it includes AS though!

The only caveat is that they won't be able to beat whatever else you throw at them if you've had a crash within the last 12 months and it was your fault. This was the only time I have defected to another provider (Swiftcover) and as soon as a year had elapsed I went right back.

Give them a go, ideally with another quote in hand - otherwise they haven't got a target to beat.

| have mine on a Aviva multi-car at just over £400 but i have 20+years NCB.As said your lack of NCB could be the problem.

You could try one of the small high street outlets that could be more personal.

What about getting your mother to insure it and putting you down as a named driver? That might cut the price a bit.

I did try that but mother hasn't her own policy for some time and also has zero NCB.

I have just tried the AA which I have breakdown cover with and previous insurance and they seemed quite a lot more competitive. £100 less on the Renault.

When I briefly returned to a modern in the 90s after 15 years of classic insurance and Yank stuff there were companies who only wanted some driving history and offered introductory discounts equivalent to NCB. There must still be some out there who can help but uselessly I cannot remember who! Must be the same kind of thing for folk giving up company cars etc....Might be why the AA were cheaper?

I can't understand why the quote is so high, unless you're in a claims hotspot postcode.

Earlier in the year i bought a Landcruiser, went on the meerkat and found a quote for £300 for a new policy with no NCD which Cornhill matched as they nearly always do for HGV/PSV/IAM drivers, ok i'm knocking on the door of 60 but LC's aint cheap to insure.

Have you tried more conservative motors in the quote machine?

I can't understand why the quote is so high, unless you're in a claims hotspot postcode.

Earlier in the year i bought a Landcruiser, went on the meerkat and found a quote for £300 for a new policy with no NCD which Cornhill matched as they nearly always do for HGV/PSV/IAM drivers, ok i'm knocking on the door of 60 but LC's aint cheap to insure.

Have you tried more conservative motors in the quote machine?

Yes Fiesta and Corsa 1.2's and Volvo 440's, they do knock around £200 off the price.  IIRC when the parents had a Megane 1.6 a few years ago they remarked on the cost of the insurance. I did fancy another as they were comfortable cars and the one my parents had were pokey, plus I like the design of the mark 1's, plus I knew they were are car mum would like.

I think we are in a decent area for insurance claims from what I discovered in the past.

I will put my dream of owning a Renault with the word "sport" in it's title on hold!