Focus 1.6 manifold removal

sierraman

Plusgas, lots of. Apply liberally several hours before attempting to remove anything and that might save you a load of hassle later. If accessible I try and wire brush as much of the old rust off first so the Plusgas doesn't have so much to try and penetrate.

Might help with the rusted exhaust bolts too but in more extreme cases you might be looking at dusting off that old blowtorch in the shed in order to apply maximum heat.

Obviously ensuring you aren't using naked flames near petrol tanks and hoses! Good luck!

Hi, wot is the engine? Zetec SE? I have one I dismantled earlier so could send photos as you cant.see bugger all when its still in situ. Worst was the rusted manifold to flexy coupling at a silly angle in a cramped space.

put a picture of 6 spanners here

Yes the 1.6 Zetec SE. I can get the actual replacement for the flexi for £30 but the garage said labour would be negligible between replacing the manifold and grafting a new flex on. If a stud shears then its head off time i imagine given the access?

At a guess I'd say it looks like an hour or so labour if you had access to a lift so might get the garage to have a look. I hate giving easy jobs away but when it's financially not worth tackling laid on your back on the drive you have to.

I did one not long ago. One of the easiest manifolds ever, did the swap in 1.5 hours start to finish. If the nuts are seized the whole stud unwinds = so wind it back in again. Aftermarket ones don't last that long so it's a toss up between that and the possible/probable arse rapeage by Ford.

You do the manifold the head bolts from up top and are surprisingly easy to get to once you overcome the fear of doing it.

Did the Golf exhaust today strangely enough as I had a broken stud. plus gassed it then took it for a short drive then while it was still warm re plus gassed it then loosened the other nuts just half a turn waited for it to cool down a bit then wound them all off.This left me with the broken stud. Luckily it was long enough to put two nuts onto which I tightened against each other and wound the stud out... easy. replaced the broken stud and bolted it all together again. took me an hour ....

The ford ones are I believe £95. The aftermarket ones are £45. Since I last posted, I've been out and had a look, whipped the heat shield off, sprayed on loads of Plusgas onto the threads, doesn't look too bad access now I've faced the beast. Most difficult bit looks the Cat/manifold joint as the bolts here looked rusted/seized to fuck, again a blast of Plusgas and hopefully it will start to release. In any case if the bolts shear I can just put a M15 bolt through. Might give it a go now... I'll post when I'm giving it a go!

• 2 years later...