Here we go again, part three. Triumphant NOW FORK SNAIL

Cavcraft

Because I'm lazy and travel like a fat man walking up the Horsehoe Pass with a builder's bag of wet sand on his back, I'm travelling about 7 miles to view a car that I cannot afford and don't need.

It's three years newer than the Cavalier, isn't a Vauxhall but can rust like one without even breaking into a sweat. Conveyance shall be done via the medium of a soot showering scattergun shitmobile, aka the Vectra.

No camera but just spotted a couple of very worried looking pikies on the hard shoulder of the M53 next to a police car with a recovery truck behind them.

Why? Why do I go and look at things that I know I'll want, but will break my budget to purchase?

DSCF2514 (2).JPG

DSCF2515 (2).JPG

DSCF2516.JPG

DSCF2521 (2).JPG

DSCF2520.JPG

This is about the most worrying bit, I'm guessing the windscreen surround seal has gone?

DSCF2518.JPG

So, all in a really nice car with a similar story to my Cavalier: the lady had passed away and the car was taken to the garage that always serviced/MOT'd it, where it sits now. It's really tidy for one of these (they rotted like hell as they were wheeled out of the factory) but not concourse. 

It looks like it can be tested again, the garage had done massive amounts of welding to it last year and seemed a decent place, quite old school and were nice to chat to. 

It's been local all it's life I believe, unsure on amount of owners, but it's bearing it's original plates from James Edwards, who were a BL dealer in Chester and had depots on the Wirral and possibly Wrexham, too.

I reckon it's had a re-spray as there's a little bit over on the 'screen rubber and one or two places if you look carefully aren't perfect matches. It's also had some lovely comedy giffer 'repairs' to the rear bumper. 

It's not mine yet, negotiations start sort of now/tomorrow/whenever, thought I'm really sold on the car, it's just a matter of my budget finding a place by their asking price, I suppose.

*Edit: Bit of late registration madness, too. I think they stopped production in 1980, when this one was registered (9th September, I think) and though I'm sure I have seen X plate one years back, this must be one of the later ones about, I reckon. 

*Edit again: Two previous owners.

This is about the most worrying bit, I'm guessing the windscreen surround seal has gone?

Could be that the drainage passage down the inside of the A-pillar/bulkhead has gotten blocked and rotten through. It's a common problem and both my Dolomites fill with water in the same place. Drill a hole in the floor pan (there is supposed to be one anyway) and it'll be fiiiiiiiiiine*.

Deffo' had a respray and it should have fetching gold stripes as mine does although it's unsurprising as Brooklands Green fades like a bitch and Doloshites rust like crazy. That one looks really solid, usually the front valance, door bottoms and rear arches are a mess (like mine). The OHV engines are simple and economical (38mpg!) although 60mph = something silly like 4,000rpm and at sustained "high" speeds the big end bearings go, I've been using my 1300 as a daily driver for the last month doing 50 miles a day and you do have to take a slightly slower pace although at 45-55mph the car really shines and you can throw it around corners with a surprising amount of confidence and comfort.

On the flipside Dolomites will entirely ruin your life at any opportunity and are spiteful, ungrateful cars and pampering them only makes them worse. I find they behave best when the live outside and are driven hard on a daily basis, being nice to them merely makes them misbehave..

In summary: DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

P2186244_1024x768.jpg

The Toledo name, and its short tail, and the two-door shell, were all dropped in about 1975 and replaced by the Dolomite 1300, which really was the same car with a longer tail, as worn by all the other Dolomites.  I suspect the two-doors had no more than trickled out of the factory for a couple of years anyway.  They didn't seem to sell nearly as well as the fours.

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!

I'm not there yet, price wise. A four figure sum has been suggested but although it's worth the money imho, it doesn't make it attractive enough for me to buy at that figure, purely because I want it, as opposed to need it.

I'm not there yet, price wise. A four figure sum has been suggested but although it's worth the money imho, it doesn't make it attractive enough for me to buy at that figure, purely because I want it, as opposed to need it.

My idea of a 4 figure sum for that would be £400, tops.

Don't feel the love for these whatsoever.

Have to say, a 4 figure sum for a OHV Dolly with no MOT seems steep. Having said that values are on the up and I may be getting behind the times, was only a few years ago you could pick up a good example with a long MOT for £800 and that just doesn't happen any more...

It'll have 12 months MOT and last year's saw a metric shit load of welding done. There are one or two other bits that will want doing but the garage where the car is at said they're not failures. Given that I'll only be being it with a test on (done by them) I took them at their word. 

Hallelujah - at last, a car I know tons about!!!!

Values of the Dollys are on the way up. That looks solid enough and would expect to fetch between a grand and 1300 of anyone's money nowadays. The 1300 is a great engine, more sturdy than the 1500.

Rust is the killer of these, the wet floorpan is likely to be a dead screen rubber or as Capt 70's described. Check for rust along the wheel arches at the rear, that bit under the outer blades of the bumper and the boot floor. The rear of the roof, front of the bonnet and the entire front end, oh and the bits around the front subframe and behind the front wheels. Bits are pretty cheap apart from a couple of bits of suspension. Wings can be pricey but less so than the bigger saloons. Headlinings can rip easily as they go brittle. Don't worry about brown bits, I haz a trick for that. Velour seat fabric is NLA and can become very thin along the top of the rear seat. Beige is the worst, followed by black. Rear view mirrors can fall apart but Ford Ka stick on ones look reasonably close to stock.

Make sure the indicator/stalks work as they can be electrically fragile. Steering column bushes can wear and that will cause column clunkiness. Most things to do with electrics will be due to dodgy connections and earths.  Electrics are simple, there are only a couple of fuses for the whole car. Clutches are easy, take out the front seats, gearbox cover and do it from inside the car. 

Mechanically dead easy to work on, I changed the HG on one of my Toledos and I am useless but managed to do a damn good job.

Odd gauge readings can be down to the small rectangular thingy in the engine bay. 2 minutes to swap out. 

Just fecking buy it you big girlie. I have had about 13 or 14 of these small Triumphs and can confirm that for the money they are ace. A green one even appeared in Life on Mars. 

Oh, there was a Y reg Dolly by the way. A bit of an anomaly but it did exist. 

Joe Public reckons that the best Dolly is the Sprint. However, the basic 1300 cars are lovely but an 1850 auto Dolomite is superduper and is a car to cherish.

This is making me want to keep my TR Toledo and bugger the consequences.

Buy, use, polish up and sell for profit. Look at it as a potential investment as chod like this has a good following.

That's how I would justify it to Mrs P anyway....

Nice nice nice. I have to say though, I don't think 1300s are really £1k+ cars yet, maybe with a larger engine yes, but a 1300? I'd say £750-800.

(trivia: there's an identical S-reg 1300 in the first series of Ashes to Ashes, was eBayed a couple of years ago).