For sale - Peugeot 305 gtx estate, 75k miles

John F

Yeah i got some pictures off the bloke (who is very friendly and helpful), it looks alright to be fair, but its in Pembrokeshire of all places and has rotten tyres apparently so shifting it will be a reasonably energetic operation. I think on reflection, too energetic for me. PM me your email address colc and I'll send over what i have.

Hi,

I am the chap selling this (on behalf of my landlord).  As mentioned I said that the tyres are perished, 3 are still holding air one has gone.  Not tried the spare on it, but would not fancy towing it.    I know someone who has a trailer who could transport it to the buyer, obviously he would charge.  If anyone is interested I can forward the pics.

Many thanks

Caron

P.S.  Whats wrong with Pembrokeshire? :-(

Hi,

I am the chap selling this (on behalf of my landlord).  As mentioned I said that the tyres are perished, 3 are still holding air one has gone.  Not tried the spare on it, but would not fancy towing it.    I know someone who has a trailer who could transport it to the buyer, obviously he would charge.  If anyone is interested I can forward the pics.

Many thanks

Caron

P.S.  Whats wrong with Pembrokeshire? :-(

Caron, hoy some pics up so we can have a look at it.

To add, if anyone would like any specific pics I will try and sort it. 

But it is a very very solid car, I was a bit surprised myself.  I was going to give it a damn good clean and cut it back a bit but thought it was best left 'as is'.

Normally with my vehicles I am looking for the bits which are not rotten ;-)

How much?

No Idea.

To clarify;  I have been asked to sell this on behalf of my landlord, I will get a percentage of the selling price so  I am looking to get as much as I can :-) .

I (nor he) has any idea of how much it may be worth.  So will consider offers.

Thanks

Caron

I love Pembrokshire and 305s. I own a trailer too

All we have to discuss now is the price.....

Lets start with an offer, more than welcome to come and have a look. Or start with an rough offer of what you think it is worth?

cheers

Caron

T-cut, Vax, MOT, four new decent-midrange tyres, clean up the engine bay, bung a timing belt and new filters on, I'd say probably £1K maybe a bit more if you're dead patient and ambitious. £2K if you can make up an amazing story about how the first owner walked up a hill both ways in the snow to buy it on a cold Winter's September day and it is of course in pristine condition with only a part respray, deteriorating trim and "a funny noise our Mechanic Lee things might be big ends or a ghost in the airbox".

Seems like an awful lot of work to effectively end up with about £3-400 for the car though.

Oh, don't even. In 2001 I thought I'd 'buy a couple of cars to try and make a profit'.

One was a 1986 Peugeot 305 SR or GR estate, in silver, with just 39,000 miles on it. It was, to use a much abused term, mint. The seats were scotchguarded, the thing smelled like a new car. I paid £350 for it. Figured it had to be worth £700+ easily, it was such a lovely thing to drive, so clean.

I swapped it for a CX Safari, which then imploded, after finding no-one was remotely interested in the 305. Heathens.

The other car was a Renault 19 Sham-ade. Bastard thing cost more than it was worth simply by dint of the stupid words said to a mechanic "MOT it, if it's more than £300, don't bother". Got it back with all manner of alleged repairs it had needed, including some ridiculous figure for a new Renault number plate light unit when any sane person would have been shoving it in the back of random bits from the scrappy. Bill was £500 give or take a few quid. Swapped the car for something else just because I hated the sight of it.

I am not excited by it all tbh, I am aware that my percentage will not get me villa in spain.  I was wondering if putting tyres on, cleaning it up etc would get more or is it better left as is?

I was planning on just leaving it as is and putting it on e-bay to see how it goes?

Cheers

Caron

There's no sense doing tyres etc. unless you MOT it too.

eBay auctions are a waste of time for the most part. Classified ad is a fixed fee, people can make you offers, no 'sudden' buyer claiming it then pissing you about (my advice, never accept an offer from someone but always make it clear they need to see it, THEN offer). Depends on how much spare time you have,

Here, you'll get a fair price for it as a project, but it'll be fair in the most literal sense of the word.

It is undoubtedly going to get more with good tyres, a polish, service and MOT. But whether it gets more than your time & money spent doing all of those things is another matter. You can see already the values of 305s, it would take a very patient seller to find someone willing to pay a premium for one. The time & money spend is going to be better value for someone who actually wants to get the use out of the car.