Volvo 480ES 2.0 - UPDATE

garycox

Been meaning for ages to stick an ad up for this, but as per usual I have been incredibly lazy. As such, it kinda needs to go ASAP as there are too many cars hanging about again.

It's in tidy condition generally, I've not been underneath but would be surprised if there are any major issues lurking.

The MOT's expired and it won't pass another without work to the brakes at least. They were advisories on the last MOT and while they do stop the car, they're really juddery and awful. I can't take it for a test to see what it needs unfortunately, as the insurance has also expired. Other issues include:

- The gearbox. This is the main thing, it started making a horrible grindy noise when reversing at certain angles. Then it was when reversing at most angles. Now it's when reversing at most angles and sometimes going forwards. It has been suggested that this might be a failed engine mount causing all the angles to be out of whack and therefore the noise. It might well be, but assume the worst and you might be pleasantly surprised.

- Speedo is also intermittent (and has gone from 'sometimes not working' to 'rarely working' - could be related to the above?

- Exhaust vibrates on something.

- The passenger door electric window doesn't work. The motor seems to work as you can hear it, but the glass stays shut. Probably something come adrift.

- The paint on the nose cone and passenger front wing is a slightly different shade. This looks really obvious in some pictures but in real life is not actually very noticeable.

- Dents in each rear corner between the bumper and the lights. Also the lights are cracked and faded etc. The bit of parcel tape covers a hole.

It's not all bad though:

- The engine (2.0 NA - Renault engine?) seems good, and it has a brand new alternator.

- Mileage is low (about 54k).

- The CEM (computery thing) works although the display is a bit dim

- The interior and wheels are good; and

- It has a load cover and also rigid plastic floor and boot 'mats', which are apparently a bit rare and worth money separately (not loads like).

Also it has POP UP LIGHTS!! That work!!

Oh, also it has a boot full of used spares with it, mainly electrical and a few small trim bits.

It's in LEWES, EAST SUSSEX

Can't think of anything else, but feel free to ask any questions and that.

post-3248-0-12213600-1431368768_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-40594500-1431368823_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-03231300-1431368865_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-10616800-1431368955_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-04399500-1431369008_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-64885100-1431369047_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-28928700-1431369088_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-25323200-1431369127_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-09450300-1431369168_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-32513800-1431369219_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-52351600-1431369325_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-53966300-1431369371_thumb.jpgpost-3248-0-18802700-1431369397_thumb.jpg

Yep 2.0's are a renner engine. Like to drink a little oil.

Trip Computer's never lit up properly, I'm surprised it still works at all.

Lower arm bushes always need changing on any 400 series, and rear lamp units leak A LOT.

GLWTS.

But I'd prefer a V40. Sorry.

That's a thing of beauty.... I always wanted one of those back in the 80s as it had computers and looked space age lol..

If I didn't have two cars already I would have that in an instant plus my garage already is occupied... I wouldn't mind so much but I know a train ticket to Lewes is only about 12 quid for me and is half hours journey..

I could of done a short collection thread and even booked it into my local MOT station just for the drive home and put it on a days insurance.

I'm wishing it would of been in the Outer Hebrides now as most things Volvo to put it way out of reach.

I think I had that lump in a Renault Laguna RTi years ago and it's a great engine as I found it really smooth with bags of torque (mine never used a drop of oil).

I think Someone's going to get a bargain with that one and with that mileage it must be a real rarity..

• 1 month later...

I bought one identical to this at four years old (the car, not me) for £5k. It's still the most money I've ever spent on a car. I wrote it off on my honeymoon in the south of France.

If only this was closer ...

• 1 month later...

Come on guys, I fell for Gary's previous last-chance car and ended up on a train to Lewes shortly afterwards, it's someone else's turn!  I can recommend the seller, thoroughly honest and helpful that he is, and the car's not bad either - I've only been a passenger but I'd be sure it's exactly as described.  I'd almost be tempted to go again for the sake of saving it but there's no room and absolutely no money to spare right now so I'm out.

• 2 months later...

Love these, really - anything which is a shooting brake AND has pop up lights and much '80sness, but mostly because I wanted one from their launch and the little Matchbox model (which has cast in ribs to strengthen the roof and allow full-length windows with moulded B-pillar) and then I finally got one - white 2.0i Auto with leather, sunroof (tilt only) and aircon. Felt properly upmarket.

They only made as many of these as they made Razoredge Karmann Ghias. And the attrition rate is high. Any effort saving them is worthwhile, and the 2.0 is a nice torquey lump.

Guest Breadvan72

Well, I did almost spaff some several bags on a Volvo Estate (XC 70 or whatever those big 4x4 mofos are called), but I bought an SD1 instead.   So now - heys, Volvo estate car (sort of) , eh?  When someone said the words "shooting brake", that was me on it like three Metpol coppers on a harmless tramp (I just saw this happen on the way in to work, the bastards.  Talk about effective use of limited public resources, eh?).

OMG I haz popped my Volvo cherry.   Shit just got real.

Guest Breadvan72

Logistical plans of fearful and needless cmplexity are afoot, to see if the car can be fixed and tested daaaaahn sarf before I embark on an epic and dangerous mission to bring the car just a tad closer in terms of degrees of latitude to Scotishlandshireland.  Bonny banks and braes, well, Oxfordshire, innit. 

The only stickler in the intense high level multilateral negotiations currently in progress in Geneva and New York as to the impending purchase of this Nordic Knacker is whether or not the Kenneth McKellar cassettes are included in the sale.   Sweaty 4 am meetings, bad coffee, stuck in the meeting room ordering out for Chinese, working line by line through the 897 page outline interim heads of indicative terms of potential tentative agreement, but that one could be a deal breaker. 

• 1 month later...

480s are great cars.

I always loved the looks, so even if they were a bit small for my family needs as soon as I could I had one as a company car in late 1987.

I worked for a Volvo dealer, I had the job of ordering the cars for stock and my boss asked me why we always had a met black 480 in stock, he understood on the 1st Aug 1988 when I took my new car home on Sat night on trade plates so I could use it Sun 1st Aug!

That was followed by a 480 Turbo Feb 1989, I loved that car I did think about buying it from the company but had a young family to feed in stead. To add to my pain I was not allowed another 480 as we could easily make our sales target and should run a different demonstrater.

In more recent times I was offered a 480 ES which I bought and my eldest son has until he went to Canada.