Saab 93 convertible

stephen01

Saab 93 convertible, 2.0 pez, Turbo

Just been MOT’d today, Yesterday but web site had a funny turn. came back with a few advisories mainly brakes pitted all round, but they can be purchased on ebay for £73, linky  for a full set of pads and discs! Passed all brake tests fine but at 75 quid to change its not the end of the world. Going for an oil and filter change Monday.

2001, 51 plate under the private plate, which will stay on the car,  so the car is 13.7 years old and has covered  136.5k so as you would expect the car has a few age related marks, few scratches etc but noting that’s not in keeping with the age and mileage.

Heated leather seats, Cruise control, Electric windows, 4x good tyres, power hood which is in good working  order, Rear parking sensors. Car comes with a file full of history, had a new roof in 2008 which cost 1400 quids plus fitting, new turbo also in 2008 which cost £800, this car has been loved and the thousands  of pounds worth of receipts prove this!

The lcd display is fragmented, common problem and the car has a few scratches and flaky paint on the bumpers but it has done 136k!

BAE0FB45-028D-4255-AC67-4C775289761B_zps

Ready for summer and all that jazz.

No doubt I’ve forgot stuff, questions? Ask away.

£1000 takes it. 

I keep having illicit thoughts about one of these but I'm scared of convertibles. What are they like to live with as an everyday car, particularly through winter?

I really fancy a 9-3 turbo but for some bizarre reason nearly all the ones I see advertised are droptops, maybe all the hatches died in the scrappage scheme. :(

GLWTS btw, looks like a nice one. Out of interest, where are you?

My youngest stepson runs the earlier 2 litre as his everyday. He knows nothing about cars, just needs them to be cheap/ reliable.

I bought this from a colleague who had parked it at a French railway station and forgotten about it. Several months later, I picked it up( still there, undamaged, mosscovered!), put a charged battery on, pulled it home, Mot'd it and handed over.

It's needed no attention, at all, since.

The roof is good enough to go through an automated car wash, without leaks, yet folds down smoothly in seconds.

It's not a fast car,but there's always the turbo version. Minimal scuttle shake, full 4 seater floppy top that can be used all winter.

What's not to like?

Oh, is this ex-you?

Footman James reckon it's too new, they urged me to check the build date but doovla reckon manufactured 2001 which means THEY'RE OOT.

Shame. I really like.

Any risk of sludgery on these? I might still go through and see if Admiral will put it on a low mileage multicar as I've got one with only one car on (don't ask) and I will need to bump up my NCB soon as I've been 16 months without adding to it.

I phoned Footman Jimmy back and they still weren't interested which is weird, as they insured a 14 year old E36 for me years ago but they were adamant that the 15 year rule is a thing. Maybe it's been abused too much by insuring shit rather than shite for £notmuch.

Anyway, Admiral is still a possibility but other than that, unless you can fast-forward time, it looks like I'm out. Which is a damn shame since I'm now looking at identical, 6 month older cars with no history on eBay rather than a genuine looked after shiter-owned car.

I could have added it to my Classic policy, but as insurance was only 300 quid any way and classic policy was up in a few months anyway, i went for the normal insurance. which as of midnight it will have switched over to my honda so good job i didnt go for classic! 

I'll be listing on ebay, 800 no reserve!!