Old Telecom pics

cortinaboy

They are brilliant. My dad worked for BT and there was always a yellow van on our drive as far back as I can remember.

Minors HAs Itals ending with a transit that started Buzby yellow but went grey with age.

I had an interview for an apprenticeship at a BT garage but nothing ever came of it.

dad told me they never took on any apprentices that year. He may have been protecting my feelings.

Brilliant. They're all good, but that first one is absolutely awesome.

I still have a memory of a BT chap in a Spacevan fitting a phone line at my friends house (probably mid-1980s). The engineer forgot to close the rear doors and we did have a giggle when he pulled away and all of his tools fell out...

These are excellent Jono, I bet none of them are about any more. I wonder how long that Maestro lasted before that rear quarter rotted out?!

DVLA says E31EEV went AWOL in '99.. at a mere ten years old.  About the right innings for an 80s Maestro?  :roll:

The pics are great, thanks for sharing.  We at work have an identical Sherpa, with the same body, still in BT yellow :)

Great pics, reminds me of when I saw a BT Spacevan t-bone a BT Spacevan at Holborn Circus (London) in about 1983. I'm sure all 4 wheels of the hitter left the ground along with the near side wheels of the hit, it all stayed the right way up and the drivers got out and started punching fuck out of each other.

Not sure what happened to the Sierra, dad recovered it from a deep ditch, the driver was standing on the drivers door when he turned up. Dad never knew exactly what happened to the smashed up transit, but remembers it was lucky no one was sitting in the passenger seat. They took the engine out to keep as a spare

Crikey, that lot takes me back, I started working for BT external (as it was) back in 1983 and drove Commer 15cwts (spacevan? Wtf?), an A.series Transit box van and various Sherpas. I seem to remember there were still HA's about when I started but then I remember my dad's one (SMG 412S I think). Before that he had a green Anglia Van.

I well remember BT's in house bodyshop repairs*. To be fair they were just mechanics where I was (West Green TSVC North London) so not something they were good at, it was mainly bang it all out with a big hammer and slap some paint over it with a brush.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/North+End,+81+London+Road,+Portsmouth,+Hampshire+PO2+0BH/@50.811652,-1.080247,3a,90y,-159.74h,97.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sR1IhZlYbpiYDXJDgSplzcg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48745d16c3518b05:0xdd3459cfdc573ea6

This BT spec Sherpa has been in this spot for years. Will check the reg number out as the one in the picture that was posted looks familiar and comes up a 'untaxed'.

Now these bring back memories - my next door neighbour worked for BT and often brought a van home. The grey livery was just so bland after the bright yellow and must have been almost invisible on dull days, just what you need when parked in awkward places. What were they thinking when they came up with that?

Your Dad knew how to take a good picture Cortinaboy! really enjoying these...i spent a fair chunk of 2000 looking for a ex-BT or GPO to hoon around in, i was 20 at the time so a Sherpa was a no-no and i just could not find a Maestro or Astramax that had belonged to them that was not rotten or overpriced in those pre-Ebay days...

I remember a lot of GPO vans having their rear numbers up on the roof particularly J2 and J4 vans....Well played to Cortinaboy senior for taking those photos - it would be great if there were other big fleets where somebody had the foresight to do that. I always feel it was safer for line workers and the like back in the day when you could instantly recognise a Telecom van and look out for the little red and white canopies....