Audi Quattro estate fluoride snail

Cavcraft

Possibly coming in to the nearly-but-not-quite-bankrupt Cavcraft stock...  

1999 Audi Quattro (A4?) estate (Big Bob says A4)

2.8 manual, PEZ FLAVA

MOT end of June

Electric/leather seats

Built in sat nav

145,000 miles, or something like that.

Pretty straight and seemingly genuine car

Clutch release bearing noisy

N/s/f wheel arch going rusty, but not too bad.

I reckon there's a very slight blow from the joining piece of exhaust 'twixt cat and centre pipe.

Tyres are shit, and I mean like need immediately replacing, they're 205/55/16s I think.

audi quattro estate malpas.jpg

audi quteradangelespange.jpg

audi quatttt.jpg

audi quat.jpg

audi esto.jpg

I'll test drive it tomorrow and if it's not too horrible it'll be £350, as I've had a surprisingly good offer from a car breaker for it. 

*Edit: the pictures flatter it a little, it's not goppingly bad or anything though. 

non shittest car from billeh evah!!!!!!!!!

want but 90% of time itd be sat on drive

That's ok because for 100% of the price, I'd be 97.2% happy to see you buy it.

Quattro is normally quite tolerant of not replacing all tyres at the same time, so part worns will be acceptable unlike Cav 4x4s where they'd go mental if you went around a corner or drove over a pebble causing one wheel to go a bit further.

Quattro is normally quite tolerant of not replacing all tyres at the same time, so part worns will be acceptable unlike Cav 4x4s where they'd go mental if you went around a corner or drove over a pebble causing one wheel to go a bit further.

Does that still apply to the Haldex/VC type? I thought that was only on the mechanical Quattro systems like the B2. If so, four partworns and off you go!

Does that still apply to the Haldex/VC type? I thought that was only on the mechanical Quattro systems like the B2. If so, four partworns and off you go!

Pretty sure the Quattro is all mechanical on these.

Longways engine and a real propshaft.

Incidentally the clutch isn't too bad a job due to the engine arrangement, did the clutch on mine when I had one.

Propshaft and such makes no odds -the Cav 4x4 has a propshaft, it's just that there's a crap VC and weak front diff driving it IIRC. Even XR4x4s get upset with mixed tyres.

Original Quattro uses mechanical locking diffs. Later longitudinal applications are Torsen diffs, and now I've done my checking to see if what I remembered was right - it's half right. Tyre circumference isn't a huge problem - compound type is. They should all match, otherwise it won't be predictable. Added to that, later ones ditched any form of locking diff in favour of electronic diff locks, AKA 'brakes'.

I've had 2 Quattros - One B2 90, which I did get a new clutch on (easy, but helps to get the gear lever in the right place) and one 200 Turbo Quattro. Also drove a rare 100 Turbo Quattro Avant which I wish I'd bugged the owner to sell to me, IIRC he drove it into a tractor. Came very close to grabbing an American 200 Turbo Quattro earlier this year but got fear of Audi spares for such an old one in the USA, they're bad enough in Europe for C3 bits.

Regardless this B5 is a bloody bargain, clearly.

(Edit: All this waffle is because whoever buys it should totally get the right tyres on it and find out how awesome it is).

Fantastic motors I've had two A4s now and would have another one tomorrow as I can honestly say both have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned and the build quality of these old B5s are second to none.

Just make sure you knock out the rubber drain plugs under the servo and battery if your keeping it so you don't get soggy feet.

I can see why you've been offered good money for it as that Navigation plus system is very rare and worth a lot of money on its own and is in very high demand for retro fitting in the more basic spec B5spost-9282-0-99613400-1430550374_thumb.jpg

As you can see it's a bit of a tight squeeze on my driveway when I had the A4s and I can honestly say it's the only reason both mine went but has now been replaced by an A3 as I find being just that bit shorter it's easier to park on the drive.

But although smaller than the A4 it just doesn't feel as light and nimble and as nice a car to drive as an old B5 A4 or it maybe it's that I've had A4s for so long now that I find that driving one is like wearing a really comfy pair of shoes.

post-9282-0-56394600-1430551082_thumb.jpg

The only real downer I find with the A4 is I would occasionally hit my head on the screen pillar getting in and out and for some reason with every Audi I've owned I've had to replace thermostats and coolant sensors.

For me the A4 really turned me into an Audi fan and have had quite a few since my 1st A4

All this makes it sound even more promising! I'm pretty convinced to go and buy it now and if the worse comes to the worse, I'll bum it for sat nav, dog guard, alloys etc and accept the scrapman's offer.

Hopefully it won't come to that, though.

Fantastic motors I've had two A4s now and would have another one tomorrow as I can honestly say both have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned and the build quality of these old B5s are second to none.

Just make sure you knock out the rubber drain plugs under the servo and battery if your keeping it so you don't get soggy feet.....

The only real downer I find with the A4 is I would occasionally hit my head on the screen pillar getting in and out and for some reason with every Audi I've owned I've had to replace thermostats and coolant sensors.

Similar experiences here with my C5 A6-  stat and coolant sensor needed, and that drain plug mod is well worth doing, theres a 'convenience module' under the passenger seat, and if that stays wet for a long time hidden under the carpet it causes all sorts of electrical tantrums apparently.

Tearing out the nice bits and sending it round to Jimmy B's house would see a profit if it ends up being a dog, which doesn't look likely. Would CarTakeback move it without leather too? Or are they equally interested in breaking for parts?

Cartakeback go off the weight, I think, the scrappy I tried will have gone off it's value in parts then weigh in, I reckon.

Bum the sat nav out of it, fund some second hand rubber and smoke about in it until you are bored  - I expect the Sat Nav will realise most of your purchase price.

Might leave a big hole in the dash, but some balsa wood, paint and a Tevion radio from Aldi and Roberts yer Mothers Brother.

Autoshite is going very upmarket when Cavcraft starts buying premium German Metal with 4x4 and computer whichcraft and sat nav systems.

Next he will be giving up on Frontera's and going all X5 on us and telling us that modern diesels and run flats are the best thing since sliced bread. ( I hope not by the way )

And this is my 666th post I hope this isn't an omen that Cavcraft is turning into Carcraft.

When you picking it up?

God knows, he offered to lob a gallon of juice in first so I can go for a run in it. He's working until 3.00pm today, but the weather is shit at the moment so my planned bike ride (15-20 miles) to get it might get delayed. It won't be tomorrow afternoon or Monday as I'm going on the piss.

If your car hasn't got one I've got a mesh grill that goes over the scuttle area in my garage and it's designed to stop leaves falling into the scuttle area and blocking the scuttle drains that your more than welcome to have as its just gathering dust.

I think it was only fitted to the late B5/5 models but can be retro fitted to the earlier models but your best bet would still be to knock the drain rubbers out first before fitting it just to be on the safe side.