Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Yesterday we started the day by putting captain 70s acclaim up in the air to assess the rot, it wasn't much to worry about, just a small repair required on a chassis rail.

I didn't manage to take any pictures but I'm sure captain 70s will update his thread with the photos he took.

After that we set about removing the axle on the van, I started by removing the bulkhead and part of the floor which revealed the same floor layout of a 305 estate. I'm considering fitting folding front seats from a 3 door car and fitting rear seats from an estate.

I got the van in a position to remove the axle by carefully balancing half of it on the ramp and leaving the rear end dangling over the edge.

I undid the exhaust and one of the brake lines like I did on the estate but after removing the nuts holding the axle in place and lifting the car up it just didn't want to come out.

I ended up having to use the engine crane tied to the towbar to lift it up enough to wiggle the axle out.

It was a bit of a faff getting the replacement axle in.

Mrs foad was in charge of raising and lowering the car while me and captain 70s wiggled the axle into the holes, we managed to bolt in the front 2 bolts on each side after a few attempts but couldn't figure out how to line up the rear bolts straight away.

We eventually figured out we could use a screwdriver on each side to pry the rubber mounts and line them up while Mrs foad carefully lowered the crane.

A couple of kicks to the rear wheels saw the van drop down onto the mounts with a thud and we finished by tightening the nuts inside the van.

Still need to bleed the brakes and reattach the handbrake but it seems a lot better and there's no strange noises coming from it.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

What is the mask and filter set you are wearing in this picture? Any goo Looks to be a decent bit of kit.

post-19482-0-52014500-1523874717.jpg

It's an air fed 3m welding screen, I got it second hand and it's basically an older version of the stuff we use at work.

It's a bit big and bulky but is great for avoiding breathing burning underseal etc.

I usually use a £20 tool station auto tint welding screen for everything else.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-speedglas-welding-helmet-9002/142755918743?hash=item213cea7397:g:sOEAAOSw4qBaxKMq

What's the difference between a 20 quid helmet and a 200 quid helmet? Just viewing window size?

The screen size is bigger, clearer and brighter so makes seeing what you are doing a lot easier when you aren't welding.

Also there's cool, filtered air fed into the top of the helmet which stops it from steaming up and keeps you from breathing fumes.

It's probably not a worthy investment for the hobby welder but I got it cheap from a friend who recently got a new screen.

If I'm welding stuff on the bench it's easier just to use the £20 helmet.

I got the handbrake refitted and the rear brakes bled.

I had a look at how difficult it would be to fit back seats and 306 folding front seats but it seems a bit of a faff so I'll just be sticking the bulkhead back in and keeping the original seats. d74956cfb6703b041cc211507f119d28.jpg

My past unpleasant experiences working with drum brakes led me to get some other poor cunt to fix them, I bought new drums, cylinders, shoes and wheel bearings and handed the car over to the garage next door to my usual mot place.

Luckily I did because he was experienced enough to notice that the handbrake cable was faulty, he replaced that too and now it feels perfect.

I took too long acquiring all of the parts and had to pay £45 for another test, £60 labour for the brakes and £20 for the handbrake cables.

Mrs foad went over yesterday afternoon to pay and collect the keys, what she failed to notice was the car had been left unlocked with the drivers window down.

Luckily it was parked in the corner of a quiet industrial estate so nobody really noticed it.

I've been driving it today, I had forgotten how well it drives.

Great news on the Audi. At some point could you put up a pic of the engine bay. Interested in the weber setup. Mine has the pierburg

I have a spare auto choke weber that came with the car too.

The car is running reasonably well so I have no immediate plans to remove the airbox.