Retroshite

DodgyBastard

This week I've booked the proton and w123 in for an mot on Friday so have been doing some last minute checks.

The Mercedes had a slight blow from the centre exhaust so spent a few minutes welding up the cracks.

The protons horn didn't work so got the multimeter out to figure out what the issue was. It was the horn itself, the connections looked particularly green and crusty, luckily I had a spare horn on the shelf so wasn't too difficult to fix.

I also welded nisfans datsun bluebird which is remarkably solid and only required a small patch on the end of the sill and a plate on the inner sill next to the jacking point.

3314a63ab8e9568b79830afeb06818e4.jpge5be14ce4f85682655886ecefc853488.jpg

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Had a go at tidying up these old Renault wheels.

29893713357_13d65bd86c_c.jpgRJC_4286 by srblythe, on Flickr

43920167085_ba3386087e_c.jpgRJC_4287 by srblythe, on Flickr

44110295114_293a73aa9d_c.jpgRJC_4288 by srblythe, on Flickr

I had considered just leaving them shiny and lacquering them but they look ok in white.

I photoshopped them onto the car for now

30958952628_940fb37ca6_c.jpgRJC_3970 by srblythe, on Flickr

I got a can of paint made up and tidied up the rear arches a bit.

44123334494_9a5f1bca3d_c.jpgRJC_4326 by srblythe, on Flickr

29907634967_044217ee53_c.jpgRJC_4325 by srblythe, on Flickr

I still need to tigerseal the trim back on but it's looking better.

I swapped the tyres onto the R18 rims and fitted them.

43933638405_5956ea49f9_c.jpgRJC_4308 by srblythe, on Flickr

43933632965_af12c83d36_c.jpgRJC_4312 by srblythe, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update to this thread, I sold the Audi on eBay, the buyer eventually turned up and collected it last weekend. He is using it for historic touring cars as it was cheaper to buy this and do it up than to buy one of the sportier versions.

45138210751_6ab744b089_c.jpgRJC_4866 by srblythe, on Flickr

I had actually resigned myself to the fact that nobody was buying it and had spent the weekend improving it, Derskine helped me tune the carb with his colourtune and I painted the wheels and fitted tyres. I drove it home on the Friday night and seriously started to question why I was selling because I actually really like the car. I checked my emails, the eBay buyer had transferred the money to my account and was travelling up the next day.

I initially thought about trying to keep the car and returning his money but it really wouldn't have been fair on him so just let it go which I was a little bit sad about.

I also sold the R19.

30145131687_0e89bb66df_c.jpgRJC_4857 by srblythe, on Flickr

The buyer brought his own wheels and knocked some money off, I was quite happy about this because then I got to keep the 13" Renault 18 wheels,

43933627165_a33ebebf5c_c.jpgRJC_4321 by srblythe, on Flickr

I've no idea what I'm going to fit them to but I quite like the look of them so will keep them around for something.

I also bought and sold this 323 within the space of a week.

45033877372_77c0c05cd3_c.jpgRJC_4861 - Copy by srblythe, on Flickr

44171076805_c77555d1b6_c.jpgRJC_4859 - Copy by srblythe, on Flickr

I really didn't enjoy it at all, I found it awkward to drive, quite slow and not very good on fuel either. I had hoped it would be a fun little car to drive but I just couldn't get on with it, I had intended selling/roffling it on here but I thought I was in with a chance of buying my old Lada back so needed to sell quickly or so I thought...

33712454331_9cec993b2b_c.jpgLada Riva 1500 by srblythe, on Flickr

I was in contact with the current owner of my old Riva, he said he wanted £750 for it and I was considering buying it in order to fit my Fiat twin cam engine to it but every time I tried to arrange a viewing he was busy. I eventually arranged to go over last night but the car wasn't there. It turns out he has sold the car to his mate but his mate hasn't paid for it so he was just going to take the car back and sell it to me instead.

It all seems like a bit of a hassle and his mate clearly doesn't want to give up the car so it's highly unlikely any deal for it will happen.

Anyway, spotted the Skoda for sale locally for £350 and I don't think I've ever had a Skoda so I'm looking forward to the experience. I generally try and stick to the "never go back" policy of not buying a car back I've owned before because they are always a little bit worse and never quite the same.

Anyone want to buy a Fiat twin cam engine?

Oof...105 for maximum sketchy handling and lack of power points.  Expect it to be very slow.  I wasn't expecting there to be such a big difference between the 120 and 130 in terms of performance, but there really was.  I don't believe the 105 ever got the rear suspension upgrades that the higher models did either, so I'd suggest investigating whether the rear end really does show interest in overtaking the front if you lift off mid-corner.  I've never actually driven a 105 so can't offer any actual personal experience.

Main safety point I'd suggest, especially if it's been sitting for a while is to check the brake union block that's hidden above the spare wheel.  This is made of some odd sort of metal which on two out of the three I've had has turned to powder.  The brake lines themselves and the fittings were perfect - just the actual block they were screwed into that had dissolved.

Also always drive with the heater on.  If the coolant stops circulating for any reason that way you get some warning before you boil the thing, which is important as the heads will warp if you even so much as look at them wrong, never mind overheat them.  On the plus side, changing the head gasket is a doddle.

Exhaust manifold to silencer studs also like to snap for a passtime, and getting one of them out without removing the manifold if that happens is a royal pain.

They're strangely endearing cars though despite all their faults, and I really miss my first one.  Rapid and the second Estelle I never really bonded with though - probably because they were both endless problem children in their own ways, and I got to the point that taking them out became more stress than fun because I was wondering what would go wrong this time...

They do have some of the most strangely smooth and rev-happy engines I've known this side of a Honda V-Tec, it really is surprising that they're an oldschool OHV unit with the way they'll rev.

Ace. I thought all the cheap rear-engined Skodas were gone. 105 so won't be rapid, but they're very charming.

So did I. They seem to be well into four figures now, regardless of condition. One of my old Rapids ended on ebay last night in fact, at £2,050 and it was far from perfect even when I sold it years ago. I did um and err, but on the whole I agree with Mr Foad's "never go back" policy.

The subject Estelle is indeed a bargain. Please don't quote me, but from memory I think this is the one my mate installed a larger engine into, can't remember if it was a 1200 or 1300, so it may not be the original wheezy 105 lump. The car was a stalwart of the long defunct South Coast Skoda club back in the day.

Loving the Skoda find and purchase........ that is a billy - if ever you've grabbed one. 

Apart from my dad letting me steer the car into the garage when I was tiny.... first time behind the wheel - 12yrs old - I'd help my uncle swap a Viva clutch in the front garden at his place in Devizes..... reward was driving lessons in the paddock at the end of the street....... felt like I was a rally driver . He had a 130 and a Rapide among others. Loved them...... still do. 

I've drooled over the old 110? I think they are - they come up local to me now and then...... 

Top pillaging fella. At that price it really is a steal!

hhhnnnggggggggg............... all that junk in the trunk! Lovely....... looks to be in decent condition from those pics. How flakey is it underneath? I may have missed it - but none runner I presume (for now).

I've not had a look underneath but it's got surface rust on the sills and a rear arch. I've got a battery on charge for it but apparently it needs a condensor. I think I have one on an old mk2 polo distributor so I'll see if I can bodge something together this afternoon.