Retroshite

DodgyBastard

In other news I found some alloys for the Polo

43937708572_88e988d970_c.jpgDSC_0024 by srblythe, on Flickr

I'm not entirely sure I like them, they are just a little too shiny but the tyres on the original steels were knackered so it'll give me a chance to clean them up, paint them and fit new tyres then get rid of the alloys or swap them for something more suitable.

So, the Polo runs really badly. When Rainagain was round the other week welding his car I managed to break down a mile down the road thinking I had possibly run out of fuel. I stuck more fuel in and managed to limp it back up the road but it still didn't run very well.

I noticed that there were no fuel filters under the bonnet, the original mechanical fuel pump has been replaced by an electric one so today I bought a couple of cheap filters and stuck one before the pump and another before the carb.

44098999501_99806cb733_c.jpgDSC_0005 by srblythe, on Flickr

Yes, That's black!

And here's the one to the pump

44049850562_dcb4edef0f_c.jpgDSC_0004 by srblythe, on Flickr

Also black!

44098999311_8ba7e1869f_c.jpgDSC_0006 by srblythe, on Flickr

I used the pump to empty the tank into a container.

I'm thinking the best option will be to replace the tank especially if I'm going to have to go to the hassle of removing it to clean it out but if I can clean it without removing it I'll give it a go.

Anyone got any tips for flushing out a filthy petrol tank?

Could it be that someone has tried sealing the tank previously and that sealant is now breaking up into the fuel?

Yeah, I think that could be the case, it has been heavily undersealed underneath including the tank, my initial thoughts were that maybe the sealer had been forced into seams that were coming apart, the tank does look pretty old and the filler neck does look a bit crusty under the underseal.

43414171444_ed08701347_c.jpgDSC_0010 by srblythe, on Flickr

43414171524_2a85b297b6_c.jpgDSC_0008 by srblythe, on Flickr

44133165491_84b6d65897_c.jpgDSC_0009 by srblythe, on Flickr

I dropped the tank out today, it's in poor condition under the paint and most of the filler neck is made of fibreglass.

It's obviously been removed at some point and instead of just replacing it they've just tried to repair it and plastered it with underseal all over.

The car runs great with a fuel line connected to a jerry can so I'm hoping with a new tank it will be sorted.

I had a 19, and it was actually really surprisingly decent. Comfortable, better 1.4 than Citroen had at the time, and well geared.

Just watch the rear arches for disintegration by the sill, that killed many.

The rear arches and sills look a bit rusty but I'm sure it'll be easy enough to weld them so no drama really.

And how did it perform?

It's reasonably comfortable, bit of wheel wobble at 80 and a slight drone from the front but I think it's probably just the front tyres that need replaced rather than a wheel bearing.

Can't fault it really, It's a very basic car, there's no rev counter or temp gauge, electric windows, central locking, power steering etc but it drives well and seems to return half decent fuel economy although I've kinda gotten used to horrendous economy in the W123 so anything over 75 miles for £20 of fuel seems good, I think the Renault does 150 miles for £20...

It does appear to have been lowered but the suspension is still quite soft, it handles well without being crashy.

I really do like it, it drives how I'd hoped the Proton would drive but the Proton was slow, didn't handle or drive all that well, felt cheap inside and returned poor fuel economy.