Retroshite

DodgyBastard

I must sort the leaks out on my van. I removed drain plugs on drivers side but now it's coming down the passenger side! FOAD will you be kind enough to let me know if the driveshaft on the passenger side looks OK on your spares van. If so and you have no use for it may I put my name down please? Like the carlton too. Not seen one in years now.

I must sort the leaks out on my van. I removed drain plugs on drivers side but now it's coming down the passenger side! FOAD will you be kind enough to let me know if the driveshaft on the passenger side looks OK on your spares van. If so and you have no use for it may I put my name down please? Like the carlton too. Not seen one in years now.

I'm not sure about the driveshaft but I'll get a look at it tomorrow and let you know. It did drive fine without any noises so it should be ok. You can have it if you need it.

In other news I cut the rusty middle section off the 190e, it was a right bastard to get off and I had to resort to angle grinding the bolts off while lying on my back underneath the car. Even with safety goggles on I still managed to get grit in my eye and a face full of sparks. The cheapest replacement I could find was a bosal one at £100.

All I have left to do is fit the exhaust, discs and pads and get it in for a retest next week.

I'm also planning on doing some welding on the Alto before I put it in for another test, hopefully I'll get that done next weekend.

That may be the coolest motor you've had yet.Want.

I like the crapness of the trims, but at the end of the day when its a 2 minute job for any future owner to kick them back on if they want to its hardly worth bothering about.

I got a load of stick at a car show for sticking a set of slotmags on my Cortina... When its your car you have it how you want it!

I'm not sure about the driveshaft but I'll get a look at it tomorrow and let you know. It did drive fine without any noises so it should be ok. You can have it if you need it.

Thank you, I'm pretty sure that's what's clunking on mine. Right hand bends and islands but only on power.

In other news I cut the rusty middle section off the 190e, it was a right bastard to get off and I had to resort to angle grinding the bolts off while lying on my back underneath the car. Even with safety goggles on I still managed to get grit in my eye and a face full of sparks. The cheapest replacement I could find was a bosal one at £100.

All I have left to do is fit the exhaust, discs and pads and get it in for a retest next week.

I'm also planning on doing some welding on the Alto before I put it in for another test, hopefully I'll get that done next weekend.

Had to do the same with my old 190E 1.8 - weld up the middle section box n 2 into 1- front section that leads into that with the factory 'double U /m style clamp' - from memory it was a horrendous price so I welded in some random old exhaust tubing... rots around that clamp also, which is also a few quid to buy, once its fizzled to nothing -a couple of €3 normal exhaust clamps were welded up together into an M shape.

That may be the coolest motor you've had yet.Want.

I like the crapness of the trims, but at the end of the day when its a 2 minute job for any future owner to kick them back on if they want to its hardly worth bothering about.

I got a load of stick at a car show for sticking a set of slotmags on my Cortina... When its your car you have it how you want it!

Which is why I don't often take my own car to car shows.

Guest Hooli

Which is why I don't often take my own car to car shows.

I accidentally put my Midget in shows a couple of times when I had it. I'd gone as a normal visitor & got asked if I wanted to put it in, it was always cheaper than parking & entry so I said yes & had less walk to the interesting stuff.

Was funny hearing the comments about 'non original stereo' or it's not clean enough etc. It was my daily driver ffs.

On Friday we got the ramp back in action as one of the cables had snapped a couple of months back with Derskine's Volvo on the ramp. It was reasonably straight forward to fit new cables apart from having to cut some slots out of the ramp in order to guide the cables through.

I needed to fit some new exhaust gaskets to the 190e because when I ordered the middle section I didn't replace the old ones which were actually lying somewhere on the garage floor.

33268399415_55b8638fc2_k.jpgDSC_0456 by srblythe, on Flickr

Mrs Foad checks which one goes where?

33227112786_43e1461d8f_k.jpgDSC_0461 by srblythe, on Flickr

Then the exhaust goes back on.

32885675580_a342cab466_k.jpgDSC_0462 by srblythe, on Flickr

Much quieter...

before that we went to try filling it up with lpg.

When I got to the pump I checked the fitting down by the tow bar.

33268683645_9fba96e5be_k.jpgLPG Fittings by srblythe, on Flickr

It clearly wouldn't work so I had a look online and found it needs an adapter to fill it.

A quick rummage in the glovebox and I found this.

32425684724_58e2251e28_k.jpgLPG Fittings by srblythe, on Flickr

With that fitted I went back to the petrol station and tried again, I stuck a tenners worth of autogas in and went for a drive. It won't idle very well on the LPG and regularly cuts out when not being driven.

I read somewhere that the coolant temp needs to be right for the lpg system to work properly, the 190e runs cold when driven and the temp rises when sitting, the electric fan doesn't come on either. I suspect with a flush of the cooling system, new thermostat and fan wired in the car will run better on both petrol and lpg.