Retroshite

DodgyBastard

40081836135_3b20d56cb1_c.jpgDSC_0606 by srblythe, on Flickr

Mot was booked for this morning but I ended up having to cancel because the brake lights were no longer working and I couldn't get a brake light switch until tomorrow. I decided to do a bit more welding and removed the black paint from the Audi badge.

27104605548_1121fd08c3_c.jpgDSC_0607 by srblythe, on Flickr

After moving the car back outside they brake lights started working again but by then I'd missed the mot.

26103975757_b04bb814eb_c.jpgDSC_0608 by srblythe, on Flickr

I bought a set of wheels previously fitted to a Granada for the W123 but need spacers and longer bolts to fit them. I think they will look quite good.

Nice one! I have been lusting after another B2 Sport for ages now.

Swapped a Mk 2 Capri 2.0 Ghia for a very early B2 Sport (log booked as a GT/E) off a guy in Peterhead. Never did get it on the road. Later on had the next model sport C847HOE in Tornado Pink which was a great car.

The styling on the B2 is so simple and classy!

Loving the Audi. What engine is it in these? Four or five pot?

Really do love these, back from when Audi's were a really unusual car to see over here in any great numbers, and were easily comparable to the likes of Saab or Volvo...just a different design approach.

Actually, how do they compare to a Merc? Much more modern design, but probably near enough as well designed and screwed together.

Sadly a 70s/80s Volvo or Mercedes has so far eluded me...I really do need to fix that.

Done many a mile in a W123, just never owned one...

Loving the Audi. What engine is it in these? Four or five pot?

Really do love these, back from when Audi's were a really unusual car to see over here in any great numbers, and were easily comparable to the likes of Saab or Volvo...just a different design approach.

Actually, how do they compare to a Merc? Much more modern design, but probably near enough as well designed and screwed together.

Sadly a 70s/80s Volvo or Mercedes has so far eluded me...I really do need to fix that.

Done many a mile in a W123, just never owned one...

It's a 4 pot 1.8 with a Weber carb, it goes quite well, I was pleasantly surprised with the power.

Compared with the W123, the Audi feels quite sporty, the seats and suspension are firm and it handles well, the Mercedes is a big lazy barge, it floats over speed bumps, suspension is quite soft. It's great for cruising but still picks up speed when you need it to.

I absolutely fucking hate drum brakes, the thought of trying to fit new shoes (if it needs them) is filling me with dread.

I suspect there will be skinned knuckles and a lot of swearing when I have a look at them later.

Any tips on how to make the rear brakes work?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I absolutely fucking hate drum brakes, the thought of trying to fit new shoes (if it needs them) is filling me with dread.

I suspect there will be skinned knuckles and a lot of swearing when I have a look at them later.

Any tips on how to make the rear brakes work?

If you check them over and things are moving freely the best way of making a drum brake work better is to have it and the handbrake adjusted properly. This may mean removing a heavy lip if there is one from around the edge of the drum or of course replacing with a new drum if you don't fancy doing that. This especially helps if there's a self adjuster present that doesn't particularly want to do its job properly. You want the minimum of travel before the shoe touches the drum without binding.

26208470927_f024a39c4e_c.jpgRJC_0589 by srblythe, on Flickr

There doesn't appear to be a way of adjusting them but I found that the wheel cylinder wasn't working properly and only pushing one shoe, it's also leaking.

26208469687_329c1f74f6_c.jpgRJC_0596 by srblythe, on Flickr

More rewiring the light clusters saw the registration light sorted.

I think a pair of wheel cylinders and shoes should sort it.

The other thing to fix is to remove the cable tie holding the cv joint gaiter and replace it with the proper clip. I'm hoping for a retest and pass by Friday.

Drum brakes are far better than discs, park your car for months and they still work perfectly, I have had the colt off the road for two years now and they are working a okay, if it where discs they would be knackered for sure,

I would replace the wheel cylinders along with the shoes as they are not expensive,

Back the handbrake cable right off so the arms are seated against the stop on the shoe then adjust brakes untill the drum is a tighter fit, once fitted pump the brakes so the auto adjuster pulls the wedge down a click or two more, finally adjust the handbrake back up a bit if there is to much travel.

Ordered new shoes, cylinders, drums and fitting kit. Picked up everything but the drums yesterday and got to work, after much swearing and skinned knuckles the new shoes were on.

I then discovered the shoes were too small, schoolboy error not checking before I started so back on with the old shoes and new wheel cylinders. c6a8ffde3e6397d3678cd1569f37e339.jpg

No more progress on the audi because it being a Bank Holiday weekend the motor factors won't be able to get the correct shoes and drums until Tuesday.

Instead I had a go at sorting the brakes on the b2500 pickup, I replaced the front calipers, regreased the sliders and bled the brakes.

It has to have been the easiest caliper change I've ever done, 2 bolts and a brake hose Union.

Next job was to weld up the crack in the chassis, I started by cleaning up the metal around the crack then filling it full of weld, after that I plated over it, primed and painted it.

With the brakes free it's totally transformed, feels reasonably fast. 54b803720cc6f23a0efced023e968f7b.jpgf9e7f2cd23268c00398c94cd0f4e3e63.jpg

Neat - same as mine. I missed your post about buying this. Does it have a limited slip rear diff?

I swapped the RWD single cab L200 for it.

24768738938_c555bf16d4_c.jpgDSC_0540 by srblythe, on Flickr

The L200 drove fine but due to the open diff it was hopeless on wet tarmac and completely useless in snow or mud. I think the Mazda might have an LSD, it drives really well in 2WD mode off road.

I ended up making one good one out of my Mazda and the Ranger of head gasket fame. I rate them pretty highly in amongst L200s and Navaras etc of the same era.

The LSD sure makes a difference. I want to change the rear axle oil in mine but apparently it needs some exotic stuff made from unicorn jizz. I will have to look into it and find an alternative.

On the down-side its distressingly squirrely in the wet. It tends to light up the rear wheels and get a slide on while cornering a bit too easy for my liking. Great fun if you are in the mood for some low-speed driftu action, but a pain in the balls when you are just trying to get home in a hurry. I am running all terrain tyres though which wont help wet tarmac grip, but with road tyres on its proper dogshit in the mud....wont go anywhere, LSD and 4x4 or no.

I ended up making one good one out of my Mazda and the Ranger of head gasket fame. I rate them pretty highly in amongst L200s and Navaras etc of the same era.

The LSD sure makes a difference. I want to change the rear axle oil in mine but apparently it needs some exotic stuff made from unicorn jizz. I will have to look into it and find an alternative.

On the down-side its distressingly squirrely in the wet. It tends to light up the rear wheels and get a slide on while cornering a bit too easy for my liking. Great fun if you are in the mood for some low-speed driftu action, but a pain in the balls when you are just trying to get home in a hurry. I am running all terrain tyres though which wont help wet tarmac grip, but with road tyres on its proper dogshit in the mud....wont go anywhere, LSD and 4x4 or no.

Our work Ranger was exactly the same in the wet. There's absolutely no way we would compete to get the best drifts on wet roundabouts at all, that would be immature and irresponsible behaviour officer.....

Admittedly it was a pain when you needed to press on

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

My old RWD single cab Ranger was great for drifting, I used to play on all of the wet roundabouts in my area. The L200 was terrible and would just spin up one wheel without wanting to slide. It was part of the reason I wanted rid of it.

26293959257_e6b0875193_c.jpgDSC_0650 by srblythe, on Flickr

26293959167_a4c961276c_c.jpgDSC_0651 by srblythe, on Flickr

We all went back out for another play in the mud, it was great fun until I drove into a ditch by accident and dented the front bumper, initially we were worried that I'd hit the radiator but thankfully there was no serious damage and just a small crack in the lower plastic part when I pulled the dent out. Derskine took a video from in the back but we weren't doing anything particularly exciting at the time.

Tomorrow we are going to play in some disused railway tunnels...

In other news, I found a set of wheels I like for the 230E

26269556857_1f1e1e0cdf_c.jpgRJC_0653 by srblythe, on Flickr

27267884438_8fc63a0a59_c.jpgRJC_0646 by srblythe, on Flickr

41097714732_e68ba44308_c.jpgRJC_0643 by srblythe, on Flickr

41139165651_4c0a46f7c4_c.jpgRJC_0650 by srblythe, on Flickr

They could do with some wider tyres on the rear but I'm pleased with how they look overall.

Pentas? They look spot on.

Penta reps, they are made by Compomotive and previously fitted to a Granada, I needed 15mm spacers to fit them. They are double staggered in both diameter and width with 6.5x14 on the front and 7.5x15 on the rear. 

A week after buying these a set of genuine Pentas came up for sale for the same kinda money.