Retroshite

DodgyBastard

It meant forcing a hose against the valve and occasionally releasing it to release the build up of back pressure, eventually it filled right up with water so I cut a hole in the side of it. The normal way to fill it would be to unscrew the valve on the top of the cylinder but this one was refusing to budge. I might make some more if I can get enough free cylinders from the tip.

Guest Hooli

Lovely little thing. I had one years ago & much fun was had.

Top tip - Don't slide off a wet bend & hit large rocks, it buggers them up a lot.

Top tip 2 - a bit of hammering to the inner arch allows 185/70R13s off a Jetta to fit. This gives comedy cornering to the point it'll lift a rear wheel & keep it in the air as long as you keep turning :)

It meant forcing a hose against the valve and occasionally releasing it to release the build up of back pressure, eventually it filled right up with water so I cut a hole in the side of it. The normal way to fill it would be to unscrew the valve on the top of the cylinder but this one was refusing to budge. I might make some more if I can get enough free cylinders from the tip.

Four or five here. Been meaning to build a log burner for ages.

I enjoyed my Mk2 Polo, bought from a friend who had used it for a 60 mile each way commute, it was a high mileage one (for its age) but had been looked after and at 167000 miles still went well using no oil or water. Yes the brakes never inspired confidence, but I was used to A35 brakes and they were better than that. It served me well and I stuck 12000 miles on it in six months, it was the 1100 one with a four speed box so was a bit buzzy on the motorway, finally traded it for a diesel Passat estate. I'd have another, so bear me in mind when you want rid of this one

The polo needs a front shocks and springs, the gearbox is whining quite badly in 1st and 2nd and there is a vacuum leak at the carb Base. Other than that it drives OK.

I've sourced a replacement gearbox for £40 and will try my local motor factors for the rest of the parts.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

34900205373_6968bf9c17_o.jpgDSC_0609 by srblythe, on Flickr

35670099416_c2e72ff2bb_o.jpgDSC_0610 by srblythe, on Flickr

34900204113_7e59eccbf9_o.jpgDSC_0611 by srblythe, on Flickr

35670098846_8db1e35990_o.jpgDSC_0612 by srblythe, on Flickr

34900202363_15aa18d6e3_o.jpgDSC_0613 by srblythe, on Flickr

The shock was still the original oil filled one so I changed it to a new gas insert. The top mount fell apart when I removed the strut so fitted a new one. The spring was fine.

After the success of that job I moved onto finding the air leak and set about swapping the rubber carb base to another one I had. Unfortunately after sticking it all back together the car would run but no longer idle.

I have a few ideas as to what could be wrong, I think the rubber carb base needs a paper gasket on either side of it so I'll make one today. I need to check the idle cut off circuit and the autochoke.

Hopefully I can get to the bottom off it because after spending hours pissing about with it yesterday I was really starting to get fucked off with it.

It's a Pierburg carb if anyone has any helpful insight apart from fitting a Weber...

I don't recall there being a gasket on mine.

The rubber on the flange does the sealing. You need to make absolutely sure the bottom of the carb and the flange on the inlet manifold are spotless though.

Perhaps all of the flanges you have are past it, I seem to remember mine definitely having a nice rubber seal to the flanges.

That's not to say adding gaskets won't work, but I'm confident they never had them.

Guest Hooli

I have a vague recollection of mine having some sort of anti run-on device on the back of the carb which became disconnected and stopped it idling.

A round thing about 1 1/2" long & 1" diameter with a spade connector on the end?

At least that's what I think I remember after reading your post.

Got a new rubber carb base from ebay and found a vacuum advance unit from a beetle which not only works but fits the polo distributor.

I discovered that the inlet gasket was damaged when I was taking the manifold off which was probably the main cause of my running issue causing a massive air leak. I've just spent £150 on a weber that I probably didn't need but hopefully I can get it all together and running this week. 7ebbe76141fc310bb1bac764cb9a5784.jpg2dc21094329dc02851ea8b19bee7bf03.jpg

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Alto is back on the road with 12 months mot

35865545156_081e8be7ec_o.jpgDSC_0676 by srblythe, on Flickr

35906227485_c709bb3e63_o.jpgDSC_0683 by srblythe, on Flickr

35518245430_7529073d0c_o.jpgDSC_0688 by srblythe, on Flickr

35518244550_4fb990f9c3_o.jpgDSC_0713 by srblythe, on Flickr

35906225955_83c2e3fb68_o.jpgDSC_0739 by srblythe, on Flickr

I've been considering selling it for a while but now that it's up and running and usable I'm not so sure.