Retroshite

DodgyBastard

The front shocks on my 305 have pretty much been knackered since I bought it and have gradually gotten worse over the years, the top mounts were also battered and knocking on the left. I've had a pair of new shocks and top mounts sitting here for ages but have been putting it off out of laziness more than anything else.

34100919713_4636d814ca_c.jpgDSC_0754 by srblythe, on Flickr

34748422532_096c63cf1c_c.jpgDSC_0755 by srblythe, on Flickr

34748419012_0ebd272dcc_c.jpgDSC_0758 by srblythe, on Flickr

34100910483_26b3e2be30_c.jpgDSC_0759 by srblythe, on Flickr

The springs were fine so I didn't see the point in buying new ones.

34100909033_d7c3e10d61_c.jpgDSC_0762 by srblythe, on Flickr

New shocks were from unipart.

34911902355_aaf48234b0_c.jpgDSC_0764 by srblythe, on Flickr

34100902113_253f82e500_c.jpgDSC_0766 by srblythe, on Flickr

Much better!

34100897923_56d0c4d456_c.jpgDSC_0783 by srblythe, on Flickr

34100896713_b3e887c088_c.jpgDSC_0784 by srblythe, on Flickr

34100894683_90598b43aa_c.jpgDSC_0788 by srblythe, on Flickr

Still a few more jobs to do before it goes back on the road but it's slowly getting there. It feels like a new car with the new shocks.

The ZX broke down in the centre of Edinburgh. AA guy comes out and checks a few things including the stop solenoid which was fine and cracks off an injector but there was no fuel getting through.
His verdict was the pump itself was knackered so he called for a flatbed to take me to the unit.
Got back to the unit and the car started so we just drove it home and it has been fine since.
Really need to get to the bottom of this...

Don't know if this will help you Foad but, 

Had a fault with a Renault 19 1.9 GTD years ago with it cutting out and not wanting to start again. Turned out the orange handled primer pump had a faulty seal [split] and every time I primed it to get it going again I was just putting a bigger airlock in the fuel system. 

Managed to fit a slightly later one from a newer shape 19 from a nearby scrapyard and away it went again. Shouldn't have sold it really as it was a good car but needed the cash. 

Guest Hooli

Front shocks is one job I hate. I've seen a spring compressor snap & I'm bloody glad I wasn't any closer to it when it happened.

Front shocks is one job I hate. I've seen a spring compressor snap & I'm bloody glad I wasn't any closer to it when it happened.

Funnily enough I was using really crap spring compressors before I found the better ones seen in the photo. They were the single prong type. I had compressed the spring just about enough when I realised that I needed to undo the top mount nut.

Armed with a breaker bar with an allen key bit attached and a 21mm spanner I set about trying to crack the nut off. As I cracked it, one of the compressors pinged off.

Luckily it didn't manage to hit anyone or anything but it was a terrifying experience.

It's one of the reasons I've been putting off changing the shocks.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

Funnily enough I was using really crap spring compressors before I found the better ones seen in the photo. They were the single prong type. I had compressed the spring just about enough when I realised that I needed to undo the top mount nut.

Armed with a breaker bar with an allen key bit attached and a 21mm spanner I set about trying to crack the nut off. As I cracked it, one of the compressors pinged off.

Luckily it didn't manage to hit anyone or anything but it was a terrifying experience.

It's one of the reasons I've been putting off changing the shocks.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I was changing the springs on an Orion (fitting XR3i stuff) when a cheap spring compressor snapped a prong, it went away from me (thank gawd) and cracked a brick in the garage wall.

I found that if you wrap electrical tape round the prongs on spring compressors, not only does it stop them wrecking the paint on the springs it also stops them sliding about.

I'll give that a go next time. I find spring compressors absolutely terrifying to use. I'm tempted to fabricate some kind of hydraulic spring compressor jig/frame.

Today I fitted a top quality sound system to the Lada...

34821715631_e8d28e253a_c.jpgDSC_0856 by srblythe, on Flickr

34143194203_c1750f8986_c.jpgDSC_0857 by srblythe, on Flickr

I can now drown out all of the strange noises with music. My battery powered portable tape deck just wasn't cutting it.

Have some more Lada pics...

34104162424_ab0c433192_c.jpgLada Riva 1500E by srblythe, on Flickr

34136445503_b53ae27f64_c.jpgLada Riva 1500E by srblythe, on Flickr

34136449773_cda8447896_c.jpgLada Riva 1500E by srblythe, on Flickr

Hopefully I can Make shitefest in it this weekend.

I actually saw a beige D reg Riva estate I papped a few years back in Felixstowe when we were out for a drive on Saturday evening, it's an early estate, and glad to see it is still going strong

I hate spring compressors,even after a quarter of a century of using them, I still tremble a little bit. My favoured way is : Take strut off car. Get 3 old wheels. 2 wheels side by side slightly apart under ramp. 1 wheel on top of the 2 wheels. Turn strut upside down and poke thread of shock through centre hole of wheel. Lower ramp to compress spring. Undo nut. Raise ramp. Voila.

In the past I've been known to remove the top nut whilst the strut is still on the car,then jack it up allowing the spring to extend.

Putting it all back together took a bit of juggling but the weight of the car kept it all under control

I've been the in company of someone compressing a spring using a ramp in a nowhere near as careful method. Fortunately I had anticipated the inevitable and had retreated to a safe distance.

He had only just finished telling me how he had ended up in hospital many years ago with spring to puss related incident.

I'll give that a go next time. I find spring compressors absolutely terrifying to use. I'm tempted to fabricate some kind of hydraulic spring compressor jig/frame.

Same. There is a chunk of concrete missing from my shed wall after doing a mates e46 front springs. How we laughed that day...

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Mrs PD called at my unit one day and witnessed me using spring compressors. She was so "impressed" she drove straight to machine mart and bought me one of their foot operated hydraulic jobs for a wedding anniversary present. Its great to use. Any Durham area shitters are welcome to use it if they want.

• 2 weeks later...