Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Changing the starter on the way to a test is pretty Autoshite like. Top work on the pass.

The test was booked for half 3 so I went along at 1pm to check the van over and make sure it was ready to go. The starter motor was always a little bit reluctant to engage but no amount of trying seemed to be helping. I tried using a pair of pliers to bridge the connections on the starter which made it spin but it wouldn't engage with the flywheel.

Changing the starter was relatively easy, it's right at the front of the engine and after removing the air box and clutch fork arm it was just 3 allen bolts to remove it.

Upon putting it all back together I discovered that there was no air filter in the airbox so grabbed one from the shelf of assorted service parts I've had off you from the various Peugeots I've bought from you over the years.

After fitting the starter, I discovered the battery was flat so tried a couple of other batteries, jumping it off the Proton and bump starting but it just wasn't happening.

A guy in the yard brought his recovery truck over and managed to jump it with a bigger battery. By this time it was about 3pm so I headed off to the mot. 

It made it there with no issues, I left it running for the duration of the test and only turned it off about an hour later to make sure the battery had charged up a bit.

Congratulations on the pass. Mine’s been busy today as well. I’ve never had so many jealous* looks as when driving this. Two young girls on horses actually lolled at it and a man I vaguely know was gesticulating and making confused faces. Yours has the extra bonus of the colour and the beacon to make it even more desirable.

post-24329-0-16787500-1519324968_thumb.jpeg

It's still an apostrophe not a comma.

Eh?

Eight years ago I puckishly used one to obliterate a greengrocers' comma on a metal sign at a local slipway (because I'm a dick and a grammar Nazi rolled into one - it was something along the lines of "Key for bollard's can be obtained from Harbour Master") and it's still holding up well despite being lashed by saltwater waves for the best part of a decade.

Oh.

post-17915-0-67221700-1519382071_thumb.jpg

Yes... yes, it does appear to say comma.

Not apostrophe.

Choose from one of the following explanations:

1. I am a bungling halfwit unable to differentiate between basic forms of punctuation that any semi-competent primary-schooler would know;
  2. I am a bungling halfwit who is usually able to differentiate between basic forms of punctuation that any semi-competent primary-schooler would know, but on this occasion became so preoccupied with the placement of the apostrophe I forgot what it was actually called, and have been hoist by my own pedantic petard on a public forum in a most embarrassing fashion;
  3. Oh my God, someone's hacked my account!!!!

Personally, I like explanation #3 the best, but feel free to choose whatever you prefer.

post-17915-0-73111900-1519382439_thumb.jpg

Nothing more to see here. Look - isn't that a Peugeot van?

Last weekend I had a bash at changing the Proton's head gasket and timing belt.

40477730851_ed02d98dd5_c.jpgRJC_0221 by srblythe, on Flickr

39767199764_26e615bffc_c.jpgRJC_0224 by srblythe, on Flickr

39767198184_89683a56d5_c.jpgRJC_0225 by srblythe, on Flickr

40434378002_69755d89c6_c.jpgRJC_0228 by srblythe, on Flickr

39581745955_9e70c44204_c.jpgRJC_0229 by srblythe, on Flickr

I followed the haynes manual step by step, cleaned up the block and head as best I could then put it all back together torquing the bolts to the specified torque and in the correct sequence.

I put the belt back on and feeling confident that it was timed up correctly I turned the ignition on....

It started first turn of the key which seemed promising, I started topping up the radiator, it seemed to be getting full then would drop down a little, I put the cap on and it started squealing with water pishing out the corner of the head.

Oops.

Next time I'll get it skimmed and use new bolts!

I'd say it's more obvious / serious than needing a skim/ bolts . Trapped something in there or gasket upside down ?

I'll only find out when it's all back off, I felt like I had to jiggle the head a bit to get it back onto the dowels so maybe it has twisted or trapped the gasket at the corner.

Bummer.

It has to come apart again, but check there is no oil or coolant down the holes for the head studs - if there is any in the holes, as you screw in the head stud it compresses the fluid and you think the torque is right, but its just the fluid holding the bolt. As it heats and cools with use it can vary the clamping force of the bolt, or it can seep out up the threads and leave the bolt loose.

In the worst case, the pressure from the compressing fluid can crack the block as you tighten.

Bummer.

It has to come apart again, but check there is no oil or coolant down the holes for the head studs - if there is any in the holes, as you screw in the head stud it compresses the fluid and you think the torque is right, but its just the fluid holding the bolt. As it heats and cools with use it can vary the clamping force of the bolt, or it can seep out up the threads and leave the bolt loose.

In the worst case, the pressure from the compressing fluid can crack the block as you tighten.

Never had it happen to me - but a mate did exactly that on a Gardner 6LX I think it was - suffice to say, the air turned a distinctly deep shade of blue.  That's why you should never rush to get a job finished at the last minute...

I've lost count of the times I haven't got a motor started after any work like this - you got further a lot faster than me dude. I've also messed up with gaskets, torque settings and fuel lines etc.....

I read the major contributors threads to learn where I'm going wrong.

It's been almost a week - I guess this is already doing odd-job taxi type work :-)

No progress on the Proton yet, I still need to collect the head gasket from the post office.

In other news, I've been using the knob van quite a bit, I always had it in the back of my mind that I would probably sell it after I got it through an mot but now I'm not too sure, it's slow, rattly, noisy and did I mention really fucking slow but it has a bit of character about it and it's nice to just plod along in.

26724261788_f47c425e30_c.jpgRJC_0413 by srblythe, on Flickr

I managed to lose some front valance after driving it through thick and frozen snow.

26724265878_57f1088af2_c.jpgRJC_0406 by srblythe, on Flickr

26724285508_c7fc903aae_c.jpgRJC_0396 by srblythe, on Flickr

I've fitted a bunch of spares from the red 305 estate including an interior light, door cars, speaker covers etc and fitted a normal gear knob from a Volvo 360.

26804887398_f19e44f659_c.jpgRJC_0444 by srblythe, on Flickr

38865770260_8cb72508c4_c.jpgRJC_0445 by srblythe, on Flickr

I also found there was a diesel leak from the tubes between the injectors, the original braided tubes were perished and falling apart so I replaced them from the spares car.

40676184561_ab5b3e5d83_c.jpgRJC_0451 by srblythe, on Flickr

My 305 estate has been suffering with a seized brake caliper on the drivers side so yesterday I had a look at it.

40016147494_9c49b88c4c_c.jpgRJC_0461 by srblythe, on Flickr

40016146534_2480bf5cba_c.jpgRJC_0463 by srblythe, on Flickr

I removed the pads and used the brake pedal and a G clamp to work the piston in and out then took the sliders out and applied a thick coating of grease, it seemed better after assembling it and was much faster when I drove it towards home but when I got there I stopped at a junction on a hill and didn't roll back so knew the brakes were sticking again. When I got home I felt the wheels, the back wheels were cold, the drivers side front was hot but the passenger side front was roasting so I'm thinking I might need to bleed all of the brakes or buy new calipers.

Before it was mot'd I took the car to a local mechanic to fit a c15 rear axle where it had new brake lines, flexis and compensator valve on the axle changed. I did provide new wheel cylinders but these were not fitted, instead he opted to fit the drums from the old axle. I'm wondering If he hasn't bled the system properly after fitting it all back together and there's still air in there which is causing the brakes to stick randomly.

^^^^ Almost certainly not air in the system causing the brakes to stick on, never heard of it and indeed cannot think how it could do so. In my experience, there are only 3 things that can cause sticking on fr disc brakes, stuck sliders on the caliper mountings, sticky pistons in the calipers themselves or collapsed flexi pipes allowing fuid through under high pressure but not allowing it to return.

Out of interest, is the gearing of your estate higher than that in the van?

The estate (when the brakes aren't binding) feels quicker and more powerful than the van, it seems lower geared which helps it accelerate quicker but sacrifices top end speed, I don't think I'd get much more than 90 out of it. The van just feels incredibly slow and tired.