Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Another reason to avoid one during winter - despite the fact that they have a heater you can use to melt tungsten - is the reason mine is currently parked up for the winter.  That the rust proofing is nigh on non-existent.  Driving one around when there's salt on the roads will result in it very rapidly dissolving.  Seriously, these things make an MGB look well rustproofed.

Condition is far more important than mileage as low milers come up for sale regularly (mine was bought with 12K on, previous one was on 26K).  The thing these cars tolerate least is sitting around unused for long periods - especially in the brakes and carb department.

Pretty sure that one's been for sale elsewhere in the not too distant past as I'm sure I recognise the plate.

If you do go for it, in addition for checking for rust everywhere (and that those new wings have been properly fitted - they're held on by three million spot welds), check the steering.  Anything more than 2" of free play at the straight ahead position that can't be easily adjusted out without making the steering box bind is bad news.  The boxes leak for a hobby and will wear prematurely, and RHD steering boxes are unobtainable.  Someone did approach Lada a while back tinder if they'd be willing to provide some new units - they were quite willing to - on the condition of a minimum order of 10,000 units.

Rattly timing chains are a common issue when the tensioner falls apart.  It's easy to sort and the parts are pennies.  If it's not sorted it will eventually chew a hole in the side of the cylinder head.

Gearbox oil level is critical to ensure that the 5th gear cluster doesn't get starved of oil (it's right at the top of the box).  GL4 spec oil is essential, GL5 or GL4 "compatible" oils are a big no.  The general advice I was given years back was to stay in 4th until around 50mph to ensure proper lubrication of 5th.

All the doom and gloom above out the way though, they're fun cars.  People really enjoy seeing them out and about, and over the last year mine has proven itself to be eminently practical and capable.  Both for local runs and for longer motorway treks - including a run up to Center Parcs at Sherwood Forest with a Sinclair C5 strapped to the roof.

Rust is the thing that kills them though, hence mine coming off the road the moment the salt appeared.

Another reason to avoid one during winter - despite the fact that they have a heater you can use to melt tungsten - is the reason mine is currently parked up for the winter. That the rust proofing is nigh on non-existent. Driving one around when there's salt on the roads will result in it very rapidly dissolving. Seriously, these things make an MGB look well rustproofed.

Condition is far more important than mileage as low milers come up for sale regularly (mine was bought with 12K on, previous one was on 26K). The thing these cars tolerate least is sitting around unused for long periods - especially in the brakes and carb department.

Pretty sure that one's been for sale elsewhere in the not too distant past as I'm sure I recognise the plate.

If you do go for it, in addition for checking for rust everywhere (and that those new wings have been properly fitted - they're held on by three million spot welds), check the steering. Anything more than 2" of free play at the straight ahead position that can't be easily adjusted out without making the steering box bind is bad news. The boxes leak for a hobby and will wear prematurely, and RHD steering boxes are unobtainable. Someone did approach Lada a while back tinder if they'd be willing to provide some new units - they were quite willing to - on the condition of a minimum order of 10,000 units.

Rattly timing chains are a common issue when the tensioner falls apart. It's easy to sort and the parts are pennies. If it's not sorted it will eventually chew a hole in the side of the cylinder head.

Gearbox oil level is critical to ensure that the 5th gear cluster doesn't get starved of oil (it's right at the top of the box). GL4 spec oil is essential, GL5 or GL4 "compatible" oils are a big no. The general advice I was given years back was to stay in 4th until around 50mph to ensure proper lubrication of 5th.

All the doom and gloom above out the way though, they're fun cars. People really enjoy seeing them out and about, and over the last year mine has proven itself to be eminently practical and capable. Both for local runs and for longer motorway treks - including a run up to Center Parcs at Sherwood Forest with a Sinclair C5 strapped to the roof.

Rust is the thing that kills them though, hence mine coming off the road the moment the salt appeared.

It looks a lot better than the last Riva saloon I had. bf63abdb97ae9990aff6a4ab59edb5a2.jpgb6652902fa2cdacc1b720e8e6156255a.jpgb19fc8f28771eecfae0b573fb968a637.jpg

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I owned this for 5 months this year so pretty much know what to expect from them.

I would have preferred a saloon so sold the estate in August.

The saloon comes with a weber carb which still needs fitted, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it all out if I go for it. 612c055578d27f270418b9ea1c1cbbbf.jpg

Today I've been welding a chassis leg on the 360.

I'd been aiming to get it in for an mot this week but it's now started leaking from the water pump so I'll need to fix that now too. I've had a couple of swap offers for the 360 including a crusty Peugeot 604 and a nice looking bx turbo-D, I can leave the 360 as is for the 604 or put some work in and get the 360 tested for the bx. 2e0dc4bf6153e647ca96dab16d69461c.jpg

What a choice! Only thing putting me off the 604 would be memories of the amount of swearing PeteM had to do to make his solid.

And then he struggled to give it away afterwards, which generated almost as much swearing.

Its petes old 604 I've been offered...

As cool as a 604 is that does look a bit of a dog's dinner, and WTAF are those masks about? Vendor obviously a bit of a wrong 'un.

The BX, on the other hand, looks flippin' great in that one picture. A black TZD has gotta be close to the best BX out there, I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Sorry for being predictable, but...

With regards the Douvrin, Smarty a bloke from the pub in the early 90's where I worked always had 264 Volvos. Latest one he had one day refused to start. Little Kenny Guiness  was an ace mechanic-he had a job at the time with Wacker. He said he'd get it to go. They towed it to Kens behind Kenny Birt the Coalmans ancient Land Rover. Ken the mechanic had it for ages-but could never get it to start. Smarty then towed it home and a hired van "accidently" wrote it off.

Steve