Princess Leia had one don't you know.

nacho man

Well yesterday me and my dad spent the whole day driving 400 odd miles to pick up a se5.

0efb767bafe34b561d06449d8c4737e1.jpg

Here is poppa T examining the concourse**** paint work.

We was in Cromer a few weeks ago and decided to have a bid on it, put 2200 in as our max and it went for 2350.

Bugger, we was going halves on it and that was pretty much my max.

Anyhow ebay being ebay the winning bidder never contacted him so he sent me a second chance offer of 2200.

1d4562e45705a61504cc4e1a9b6f697c.jpg

The freshly serviced astra van was readied and off we went.

It was not worth £2200 and if I would of won it I would of been slightly annoyed, the interior is shagged, red seats tan door cards and the dash top disintegrates if a slight wind passes over it.

Also the headlining is mouldy. The heater blower don't work, it has for mis matched tyres dating from the Viking area.

785da334f937b858d99d24c827e5f4b6.jpg

It looks ok from 10 feet but overspray is everywhere, pretty straight panels with only a bit of grazing on the bonnet.

But the main thing was it drove mint, the Essex v6 pulled lovely. The gearbox was slick and the brakes braked.

£1600 was handed over and I drove it back.

fea4ad0bf37084da8d421baf0424271c.jpg

The latest in canbus tech right there.

50dbba21ac83ee388d61687cf3f77b70.jpg

Here she is tucked up ready for the work to commence. Just reading through the history and it's had £3000 spent in bits over the fast few years.

Yeah it's non overdrive, an indicated 65-70 as the speedo is a bit wobly, is about 2500-3000 rpm so it's quite relaxed on the motorway.

Put £40 in through and the fuel gauge only went past half, how big is the tank.

Question: can I get the rotary buffer out on the paintwork, anything I need to do different on the old glass fibre thingy me bob. And if I want to touch up the rear valance any special prep?

I think it's overall appearance is known as "shabby chic"

I always recall a classified ad in a glossy classic car mag from about 15 years ago where they were peddling some pre-war something or other which had a 'long range' 50 (yeah fifty) GALLON tank fitted. I mean fucking hell, there's 'CBA to fill up today' and then there is this.

the fuel alone would have weighed upwards of 200kg fully loaded. I bet that improved handling and performance no end. And you'd be looking at about £300 to brim it. Even if it only did 20 to the gallon, thats 1000 miles of motoring, at which point it'd be overdue a full service. Any car that you have to service more often than you fill up is doing it wrong.

Ahem, as you were gentlemen...

Yeah it's non overdrive, an indicated 65-70 as the speedo is a bit wobly, is about 2500-3000 rpm so it's quite relaxed on the motorway.

Put £40 in through and the fuel gauge only went past half, how big is the tank.

Question: can I get the rotary buffer out on the paintwork, anything I need to do different on the old glass fibre thingy me bob. And if I want to touch up the rear valance any special prep?

I think it's overall appearance is known as "shabby chic"

Pretty much standard polishing to be honest, dont linger in one area too long as it will burn just keep it moving, if it's a gelcoat finish then you can buy GRP compounds that will work better than the compound for normal car paint.

Star cracks are a fucker to fix well.

http://www.scottbader.com/uploads/files/3381_crystic-handbook-dec-05.pdf

Got a lot of info about gelcoat repairs might have some info on polishing but it's been ages since I read it.

http://www.farecla.com/industrial-applications/compounding-systems/marine-maintenance.

GRP compounds.

I think thats a fair price.if i am not mistaken it is running on a set of desirable MAG alloys (aka Princess Ann wheels) which are an easy couple of hundred quid on their own.

I paid £1160 for my SE5 auto with no mot that had been sitting seldom used for a few years.

2014-09-21174732_zps698d95fa.jpg

These are great individual cars that are still cheap to buy,tax free and peanuts to insure.

This was mine:

001.jpg

002.jpg

It was honestly nice and only needed a new carpet set to be better than any other example I've seen hitherto.

It also had the rare electric windows.

The affair only lasted for a Summer since my late friend Roland decided to dispossess me and take it with him to Germany.

Please note that this would have never happened had the car been appropriately gearboxed!

Roland then spent another fortune on it to have it absolutely perfect in every aspect. Germans, you know.

IIRC I had bought it for 1,100 quid, a princely sum for these in 2010, but as I said before, it was a good one.

I've had a couple of SE5s. My first one was a resto job when I was bored and it turned out to be a beautiful car; I had to spray it twice as I did it wrong the first time but it turned out lovely. New carpets/dashboard (they crack) and lots of mechanical work, front suspension trunnions got me soooooo annoyed I launched a trolley jack across the workshop in anger!

It was a manual with O/D and went really well and was great to drive.

It had lots of stainless bits (water pipes/exhausts which I used to polish constantly - sad? Me?) but it needed a new stainless petrol tank and I had spent several times the budget already so it got bodged with 'Petropatch' which worked well... I sold it for about £2500 back in about '85/86 which was good money but there was a real desire then for good SE5s.

Then I had an auto.... it was okay apart from the maggots that infested the interior! I had to rip everything out of it and bleach it everywhere. New carpet set was about £50 and a doddle to fit. I had that sprayed by a 'pro' in metallic red and while it looked good, I knew it wouldn't stay that way for long so moved it on.

Then I had a succession of SE6s and they are nothing like as nice to own or drive. Problem with me (one of many) is I like the last of the line models and I prefer the look of the SE6. They just aren't anything like as nice. The 5 has an honesty that is very appealing while the 6 tries to go upmarket and doesn't carry it off; it's still cheap and nasty inside with trim that falls apart and it's heavier, slower and doesn't handle as well.

On one of my 5s (the blue manual one I think) I fitted a sunroof and was astounded at how thick the roof was - about an inch thick of fibreglass! No wonder the buggers weigh so much :)

I do like the look of the scimitars, I wonder if you could fit a Supra Engine and gearbox into one, without the slam/drift/yo! that usually follows over on the blue.

Careful with any machine polishing the gelcoat is probably getting quite thin on these, it was probably less than a mill when it was made and if it's been machine polished a few times it will be less now.

If you go through to the GRP it will be difficult to make the repair look good, if you think flatting paint is dull and long winded you don't want to flat off 500 microns of gelcoat, it's very very boring.

My one's called Dirty Harry because of its slightly scruffy but honest appearance.

He turned up at chez Spud wearing his original fibre glass wheel trims and i have now bought and diy refurbed some wolfies trouble is i think he looks better on scruffy original steels.

2015-03-06%2013.54.09_zps2hunxs1u.jpg

Because these cars are cheap you will never get your money back if you plough thousands of pounds into one and for me an honest car at a show has far more appeal than a concours jobby any day.

Here's my old one.

190739_10150155861838200_7270234_n.jpg?o

I'd always wanted to own a Scimitar. Mine also had the rare electric windows and I liked that there was a warning light to tell you when the electric fan was running. Sounded fabulous, went well, had slot mags. Yet I just couldn't get on with it. Very crashy ride, very cramped pedal well. Looking at my car history, it seems I replaced it with a Saab 9000...

Well first job was to sort some clonking from the front.

bc906b978814e9c0662513125268ab97.jpg

Anti roll/sway bar bushes shot, got them out and ordered some, nice five min job so hopefully that will cure the clonking.

Then had a proper look around, started first time after being sat all week and had used no obvious amounts of oil on the way back,200 odd miles so that's a nice sign.

210fcdf7d28b3a80bd09d0bb16b0c87a.jpg

Needs a new dash top as this I reckon is beyond repair.

7b6c566685e930bf2d6774501ab3fc5c.jpg

Hard to tell on the photo but it's got a bit of grazing on the front and small other various bits but I ain't bothered about that.

4f43ce2c64dacd522d6d8568f0caa64c.jpg

Needs a proper good vulgalour session inside as its minging. Also odd red seats and tan door cards combo. Don't know what's original and what's not.

8a0a62664723033fc22bc16afb750329.jpg

Had some wank Sendai CD player in so I had this knocking about wired it up and bingo.

8e2b8b1241d6dc67a36d31f43fc7e9ba.jpg

My old man popped up in the week and hand painted the wheels as the paint was flaking up looks loads better. Got two near enough front tyres but the tears are proper perished, any recommendations?

57e7b2ff266670e3103aeae53c1fec7a.jpg

Also found some nice bits, new steering rack, braided hoses and all new copper pipes. Also in the history found a receipt for a piper cam.

It's only had 17 owners.

a7285458cfa8c18005fd49bd55f0b2f6.jpg

The windscreen seal leaks banged some sealant on it for now. But gonna have to try and get one, anyone know what it's from?

2a63c092b1f5029657d4df6e8d96bae7.jpg