P6 - Content - Down at the disco jumper to jumper, wait a minute where's me bumpers? Cable Guy

cort16

When i sold my CL500 I was looking for a MK2 16v Astra GTE so it's no real surprise I ended up with a tax exempt Rover P6.
The car doesn't run due to the previous owner starting to put a TVR motor in it. This involved partially dismantling the engine and selling the bumpers on ebay. As a result it doesn't run and it doesn't have any bumpers.

As can be seen here.

post-1514-0-00960700-1429125810.jpg

I knew it needed the inlet manifold refitted so ordered a new manifold gasket and seals from rim end bros. Well when I say seals I thought I was ordering 2 as there's a 2 next to the box.

post-1514-0-94521600-1429188919_thumb.png

This actually means you need two. I obviously wasn't atune to rimmers fucking hopeless ordering system so I'm now down one seal, which means I can't refit the manifold.

To add insult injury I took a guess on the temp sensor, which has been mullered in the removal of the manifold and it was obviously the wrong one.

post-1514-0-54109200-1429125815.jpg

You can see the hole at the front of the manifold this is meant to go into. no worries I'll just go onto rim-a-ding bros and get one.

post-1514-0-51649600-1429189666_thumb.png

Or not.

I also bought an SD1 haynes manual as I couldn't find a p6 one in a price range I wanted to pay (4 quid). The removal and refitting of said inlet manifold stretches to about 8 lines. Useful.

Plans?
Ovbiously no1 is to get it running. I recon I might need to just blank off that temp sensor until I can find the right bit.

Order a number plate as it it seems the front plate must have been sold with the bumper for some reason..

Get bumpers. I'm hoping oman5 is going to help here he recons he's got a front and rear in his stash. The rear may be a little bit bashed up then I can replace them later if need be.

Drive around using lots of petrol.

Sort the rear doors. The frames look okay so I'm going to see if I can get skins for them and probably pay someone to fit them.

The v5 and mot where supposed to be in the car but are not. I spoke to the seller who said, it's okay I've sent them off. I never gave him my address and the only address he could have is the one I gave for delivery, which just the house closest to my lockup I got off google maps! . Luckily he hadn't actually posted it yet so much embarrassed door knocking, shitey explanations about how my budgie typed an address into the computer and staring at feet has been avoided.

I tried to contact this fella before he started stripping it I was gonna buy it when it was 1800, then he ignored all my contact so I thought it had sold or summat.

I reckon it's pretty bad ass, also you can pretend your re-in acting lock stock and two smoking barrels.

1. One doesn't buy anything at Rimmer Bros. Please feel free to ask if you need anything, I'll be more than happy to point you in the right direction. There are inlet manifold gasket sets containing "everything you need" for less than Rimmer charges you for the individual gasket.

2. "Everything you need" comprises the seals for the P-clips holding the heater pipe on the underside of the manifold in place. It is now time to renew them, or you will take off the manifold again soon (the usual guess how I know applies).

3. That "Temp sensor" is in reality the so-called "Otter" switch. It illuminates a warning light on the instrument board when the engine warms up and the choke is still out. Good* job that total wankstain borked it, because that's another 120 quid down the drain. The SD1 doesn't have it and its manifold does thus not have an opening for it. Should you decide to go permanently without the Otter switch, such a manifold would be available.

Fucking otters, you can't do anything with them without them causing bother.,. If you can point me in the right direction of a parts source that'd be great. I want to actually be driving this in 2015 probably something my Cortina won't manage.

Can I just hammer a larger otter over that plate by blanking it off or will it piss out at 500 psi?

Fucking otters, you can't do anything with them without them causing bother.,. If you can point me in the right direction of a parts source that'd be great. I want to actually be driving this in 2015 probably something my Cortina won't manage.

Can I just hammer a larger otter over that plate by blanking it off or will it piss out at 500 psi?

You can blank it off with a plate and gasket/sealant, there is no high pressure involved.

The parts source depends on what you need, some sources are good for this, some good for other, some stuff is even readily available.

It's not difficult to get an Otter switch, they are just ouch expensive.

What really makes my piss boil is that this mooncalf must have worked off a checklist to determine which are the most £bumrape items to be fuckeriged first.

3. That "Temp sensor" is in reality the so-called "Otter" switch.

Fucking otters, you can't do anything with them without them causing bother.,.

The only good thing about Otter's is using them in reference to a ladies fun place, as in:-

"She was so aroused, she was as wet as an Otter's pocket". Other than that, Otters are pretty crap, IMHO

No need to thank me, glad to help.

No Sir, even on this ocasion I'm right, as always.

Only people who gave up sex a long time ago and play golf put the spare wheel on the bootlid.

I appreciate what you are saying about spare wheels on bootlids, but to a proper English Gent, 

like what I am, the Rover P6 is the exception that proves the rule.

Phil, the lad you bought this off is actually a very clever lad. He bought a jag off me and a jag coupe off my mate which was utterly fucked. He's built some ace cars..sd1 etc.. He's getting crucified for wanting a P6 with no bumpers and a B.F.O tvr v8 in it?? Sounds fucking superb to me....better than bein a wanker in a scooby eh? J.M give the lad a break not everyone shoots their load over old french crap...each to their own and all that. CORT fuck the bumpers and get yersel a tvr lump!

I know Phil, he's a good guy I bought my SD1 off him. He seems to be terminally unlucky so I'm not going to give him a hard time. I think a TVR motor is one of these sounds brilliant but I'd keep everything else stock.

I spent 1/2 an hour having a look at this today. There was a tub in the boot containing all the bolts, pipes etc to put it back together.

It doesn't look too bad I recon I might stand half a chance of getting it going in the not to distant future. The plan is to get everything I need and attack it all in one go.

It turned out the front number plate was in the boot. Money in the bank. Also check out the ICE install.

The only cat shit in the sand pit is the otter switch issue. It looks like the heads have burst off the bolts leaving them stranded in the manifold. Seems like a common issue to, the only resolution is to drill it out and re-tap it. Gulp.

I've ordered bolts and gaskets for the switch from rimmers but thanks to their fucking outrageous delivery costs it's nearly 30 quid for 1 rubber seal, 3 bolts, washers and some instant gasket. Robbing bastards. What you going to do?

post-1514-0-24073900-1429299047_thumb.jpg

In other news here's the rusty door. The other side is worse. I recon I might just wire wheel it out, ku-rust it, weld up what I can, apply wob and paint it until I can get a new door.

post-1514-0-91953100-1429299244_thumb.jpg

I like the interior a lot.  8)  I can't wait to get out in it.

post-1514-0-46294800-1429299292_thumb.jpg