Heavy Metal Classic at Standlake this Sunday

155V6

Well, that was that. The South were victorious (if anyone cares!)40 Nissan Sunnys/Almeras 13/1400s on track for the "Light Brigade" rounds, about 30 Mondeos, about 4 Vectras, a couple of Primeras, couple of Cavaliers in the "Infantry" rounds ans the "Tanks" were 60% Jag XJ6 or 40's, 3 or 4 XJS's and a very ropey looking MK10, a few Granadas, MK2 and 3 and A lhd Crown Victoria. One Toyota Crown, a few Volvos 244/245/7 series estates, but the "star" of the show was a Volvo 262C, which may has well have tied a target to his arse. It didn't last long, so I'm guessing it was a bit rotten!

How much are banger drivers generally prepared to splash out on a car these days? I'd have thought that a 262 was worth a fair wedge even in shitty condition. I know that selling trim etc helps offset the cost of whacking in a H frame and all the associated gubbins but still... If someone can justify blowing a grand on a single meet, that's an awful lot of shite suddenly endangered.

2 camps really, old school like myself where the general aim is to race as cheaply as possible so would reckon up what the likely off set is for each car i.e scrap, cat, alloys and possible ebay. Ball park £0 - 150 the higher end would tend to be for something later that would ebay better. Then race on the tyres that come with it use the fuel out the tank. So I tend to get hold of things like 214/126 Rovers, Toyotas, Nissans etc Then you have your National types some of whom can spend the big bucks on cars, signwritting, wizzy engines new soft tyres. They are generally using Jags, Granadas and Volvos no idea what the going rate is but would think easily in excess of £200Not always the case that big money goes for rare cars sometime they are insurance write off, even a small fire will account for most cars. Sometimes its a case of right place right time. If I hear how much it was bought in at I will pm you but at this stage I didn't go and don't know who raced it.

I (and most on here probably) am not really itching to know what the 262 stood its final owner, will grudgingly admit that it did at least have a final fling instead of going straight in the crusher. I am a bit concerned about the Top Gear effect where those with plenty money go out and buy a straight motor with the sole intention of destroying it. You know, where the seller has got a good price for the car and is under the false impression that it's going to a "good home" after years of careful ownership/maintenance/garaging/restoration.Maybe someone will buy that barn find Bugatti up north, stick a Ford 2.8 in it and send it out at a pre-75 meet :)

the farmer where i keep my cars had a volvo 262 ,been off the road about 10 years and was rotting away slowly .offered it to me to race and i turned it down .some else bought it for £150 stripped it out ,found it was too rotten and weighed it in