The Scirocco came back from the garage with a working alternator, it having been sent off for repair (twice) by a man in a shed.
With electric juice back in the system I've got some mojo back and been using it a bit. My wife absolutely hates it ("it's too noisy", "it smells of diesel fumes") so won't get in it. As I've been driving it about it started struggling on more than half throttle. Remembering Dieselassist's comment earlier I checked out the placca cone fuel filter.
Deadun! I got a cheap fuel filter from ECP in their Christmas sale, but I suspect I won't be able to mount it, so may swap for a LR or L-series one. Think the hesitation was minimal fuel supply, so hopefully will be maximum boost next week.
The rev counter is proving to be a bit more of a problem as this is a CE2 car. The auto electrician has run the wire, but we're scratching our heads about how to connect it up. I'm going to take the dash out again at some point and have a look with a wiring diagram to try and chase where it should go. In related news, the temp gauge has completely stopped working. Given that I'm getting lovely warm air from the vents and the fan is coming on appropriately I don't therefore think the previous cold running was a thermostat issue, but may be a dodgy temp sender. Again I'm going to clean up the contacts and if that doesn't work I'll swap the sender, which happily shares parts numbers with the one on the old petrol engine. I also need to secure the fuse board more substantially, currently cable-tied to the bulkhead.
Meanwhile I bought a cheap dehumidifier from Gumtree to supplement my 75p Savers dehumidifier pots, and cleaned out the Octavia. Several pints of tepid water removed so far. I attempted to clear out scuttle drains but struggled to remove the scuttle panel in the rain before swearing at it and giving up. Chucked a load of water through the scuttle panel drain and rodded out the sunroof drain. Whilst cleaning I noticed this door seal was sagging. It's been replaced before (by Halfords Autocentres), and is directly above the flooded footwell. I've gummed it back up with body sealant, so hopefully we're watertight again and it's a case of drying everything out.