A Tale of Two Rovers - Return of the Rover

Roverageous

• 2 weeks later...

Day off today, so I decided to wash the 75. I'd forgotten how good it looks when it's clean!

20160708_144450_zpsyjmyc1cr.jpg

Wheel comparison pic (Actually I washed the whole flaming thing, then realised I'd missed a wheel!):

20160708_144511_zpsk45fpdkg.jpg

Unfortunately poked around my slightly crusty sill, and my finger went right through, so that's nice. Hopefully to be sorted next week.

It does seem to becoming a common theme. Out of curiosity do you still have both your jacking pads in situ?

No i had none on mine. I was going to add them on but looked at thought that it would hold the rain and muck in more so i just keep waxoiling them. The back one has got no worse since i got the car a year ago.

No i had none on mine. I was going to add them on but looked at thought that it would hold the rain and muck in more so i just keep waxoiling them. The back one has got no worse since i got the car a year ago.

Ahh. I'm missing the one from the grotty side. No idea if it's anything to do with it mind!

Ahh. I'm missing the one from the grotty side. No idea if it's anything to do with it mind!

It must have fallen out with the rust, they only seem held in with two pegs. I didn't know the jacking pads were even a thing until i saw a thread purplebargeken had up with a 75 and i saw them on it. 

• 4 months later...

Not really much to update. Bob is Rovering along in fine form. Treated him to some swanky headlight bulbs yesterday as the dark mornings / nights and unlit roads highlighted how crap the old ones were. Suspension is noisy but that's hopefully being sorted on wednesday (suspect drop links... again!).

Here, have some pictures:

20160907_162533_zpsy4bwvycw.jpg

20160907_162905_zpshyvfkbou.jpg

Great looking 75 you have there. I must admit I had a diesel auto tourer and we'll that's gone and I kept the v6.

The v6 in my opinion is the engines for these.

I honestly don't know where some people on the club seem to say 60mpg etc. I got 36.6mpg brim to brim.

Which was 8mpg more than my v6.

It looks pre project drive aswell so you get alot better buts on it and they feel more special for it.

Lovely car all the car you will ever need

That is beautiful; I wish I had cream leather seats in mine, they look so much more luxurious than the black leather ones in mine and really work with colours of the 75's interior.

Actually, the whole car is beautiful, and an early Longbridge one to boot. Simply superb.

Great looking 75 you have there. I must admit I had a diesel auto tourer and we'll that's gone and I kept the v6.

The v6 in my opinion is the engines for these.

I honestly don't know where some people on the club seem to say 60mpg etc. I got 36.6mpg brim to brim.

Which was 8mpg more than my v6.

It looks pre project drive aswell so you get alot better buts on it and they feel more special for it.

Lovely car all the car you will ever need

I know you're a big advocate of the V6s, Tom, but they just don't suit my needs.

Just on the basis on my nerves & longevity the diesel is better for me. I've had V6 ones in the past and they're lovely but just wouldn't work for me right now.

In general this car is a peach.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Whys he called Bob?

I actually can't remember.

The 75s I've had have all had names!

1. Gordon (2002 1.8 club spec)

2. Lemmington (2001 2.0v6 classic se spec)

3. Can't remember at the moment (1999 2.0 diesel club spec - 280,000 miles)

4. Bob (or Bobert) (2001 2.0 diesel connoisseur se)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

UPDATE.

Thought I might as well bring both my 75s into one thread. I haven't updated on Bob for a long while, because he's been quite neglected. I got the droplinks done and the rear sill was sorted then he was sort of left and just used. I completely forgot about the MOT and so he had a couple of days parked up on the drive until I could get him in - but he passed just with an advisory for slight surface rust on a central brake pipe - happy days. He's back in full swing & today I thought I really owe him some quality time, mostly because he's been looking like this for far too long:

IMG_20170111_191223_zpsplufwxka.jpg

So he's had a good old mop, wheels cleaned with a tooth brush, black bits blacked, see through bits seethroughed, hoovered out, cleaned all the leather. Rain / hail has stopped play for the moment but I'll get some leather conditioned into the seats / steering wheel / armrest before the day it out too.

IMG_20170426_143619_zpstz3uxzej.jpg

IMG_20170426_143634_zpsim5ck618.jpg

Scrubs up alright, doesn't he? :)

If you look closely there are bits that have deteriorated somewhat. The roof has a bit of a laquer problem in one corner which looks like it's received paint at some point, the offside corner of the front bumper is a little aesthetically challenged too & the steering wheel is really starting to look like it needs some dye in places. I can't really complain as Bob has now done 2 years with me, 3 clean sheet MOTs and covered 25,000 miles.

Bertie:

Bertie is the name which has been assigned (not by me!) to my relatively recent V6 one. Also a Connie SE and documented on another thread here - very much a High days and Dry days car - but plenty of little jobs to keep my busy! Used him for a weekend away last week, so here are some swanky pictures of him infront of a posh hotel:

IMG_20170423_113346_zpswnn2uuc5.jpg

IMG_20170423_113327_zps9vc7jmwb.jpg

He does need a couple of bits - I think he would respond well to an autobox fluid change as it's a little clunky from cold, and he needs the top mount bearings doing as clicky steering at low speed is in evidence. Other than that, it's happy Rovering for now!

• 1 month later...

Fleet update!

Bob:

Started making some pretty alarming noises from the front suspension one day on my way home from work. Didn’t sound like drop links this time, so I thought it was time for a balljoint or something. Garage had him for 3 days, poked, prodded, road tested, shaker plated it and could find absolutely nothing wrong. Since then he’s been well behaved but it seems to be related to very hot weather, and happens at low speed especially when steering so I reckon it’s the top mounts again. I’m not going to worry about it! Other than that nothing to report other than he needs a good wash!

Bertie:

Plodding on in splendid fashion. Had to ring the insurer up to let them know I needed more mileage allowance, as 3000 for the year wasn’t going to cut it! On almost 106,000 now. Treated him to a wood steering wheel and hoping to take him to the BLARG day at Gaydon next weekend.

Have some pics

post-18062-0-73707200-1498415300_thumb.jpg

post-18062-0-02372700-1498415328_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

It happened when the car was parked, and I was at work. The road it was parked on (and indeed the only parking opportunity for where I needed to be) has regular agricultural stuff up and down it, but I'm willing to bet that it was done by a lorry who was delivering to the pub opposite. I've been to talk to them, but funnily enough the two people who were present for the delivery are now mysteriously both on holiday for a month...

Bob is home. Given him a wash and a wax. The drive back home was like getting to know an old friend again.

post-18062-0-38514500-1525538146_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to Flat4Alfa for looking after the car during is tenure! Bodywork wise it's never going to get back to the standard it was in 2015 / 2016 because it actually has to work for a living now, but mechanically it'll be improved and kept well. It does need a couple of bits attending to such as a very very noisy crank pulley (common on these engines) & an oil change. I might even get as far as sorting a replacement radiator fan (which was on my todo list in 2015, 2016, 2017 and now 2018).