Daihatsu Debut - The nightmare is over

Austin-Rover

The little stud from the manifold pictured above was beautifully repaired by the same company who rebuilt the radiator. Proper job, too with silver solder and the correct angles for the stubs lined up by eye. I'm happy to report that the car now seems to be leaking...nothing!

So; in about 12 hours from now it should be beginning its MoT test! This is assuming it survives a rather ambitious drive from Huddersfield to my favourite MoT tester in Darwen.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

What a day!

We set off from Huddersfield around 11am with a quick pit-stop in ASDA for a full tank of petrol and hit the road. Our chosen route was the A640 out of Hudds heading for Milnrow, then skirt the edge of Dogdale and head up the A680 'Owd Bets' road and then pick up the B6232 Grane Rd in to Darwen. reasonable enough stuff. Things started well, the drive to Milnrow across the tops was great. It drove really well, the engine was on song. Going was good. A quick pit-stop on Kingsway Business Park in Rochdale to check things over and... oh - an oil leak. Quite a big one, too. Still, oil in the boot - lets put some in and off we go. The next pit stop was at the bottom of the A680 and the oil is coming out at a steady rate. It's also burning off on the exhaust pipe. We wonder if it's the mounting for the oil filter where it's bolted to the block. Out come the sockets and I do get the two bolts nipped up a bit. More oil goes in and off we go. It's a bit of a climb out of Rochdale on this road and the car is still smoking (therefore must still be leaking oil on to the exhaust). We pull in outside the Owd Betts pub and decide to call it quits. I ring the AA and we head in to the pub for a bonus pub lunch.

The AA takes us the short distance on to my MoT place in Darwen and the car goes straight in the air on the lift and sure enough the leak is coming from where we suspected. My mechanic has it all reapired and oil tight in half an hour and we get on with the MoT.

The good news is, it now has 12 month's MoT and no advisories! This was, however a false flag and the car duly disgraced itself once more on the way home. I leave Darwen and all is fine. the car's been sat running for most of the MoT test and all seems good. I get out of town and hit the B6232 and happily motoring along about 50mph. Hmmm...I think the engine sounds a little louder. Yup, it's getting louder, and it's banging. Thankfully, there was another pub for me to bail out at. I turn in to the car park and it cuts out. I coast in to a space and the car starts up again, except it now has the same metallic clattering noise it once did two years ago when it arrived with me. Balls!

I finally get home via another AA patrol about 7.30pm with a fully MoT'd but broken (terminally?) Charade. A couple of people have suggested I bung it on eBay as spares/repairs. It's either that or the scrap man. I'll sleep on it and decide which option I'll go for...

post-5021-0-87029000-1492805350_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-64393400-1492805356_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-62464500-1492805364_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-05264900-1492805371_thumb.jpg

I'm convinced there's something going on that's not easily explained. I'm fairly calm about it - I'm more disappointed than upset. I'll probably bung it on eBay for a week. Someone might want it to put A.N.Other engine from a different car in it. I've also tried getting in touch with the lad who owns the green Charade CX via the Facebook to see if he wants it for spares - no reply as yet. If I get no response from those two approaches then it'll be off to the crusher.

To even suggest that this thing is remotely as evil as the haunted P6 is not only a slap in the face of the man who persisted with it for seven years,

it also demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding the magnitude of what I went through.

Disagree. The only difference with the Charade is you knew when to bail out.

Can you really argue that the Charade was less malicious than the P6? In the very short time you had it, it blew a head gasket on the motorway, proved a pain in the arse to fix IIRC (I can't find the posts about it), rewarded your repair with a rattling sound, broke its radiator, cut out for no reason on a busy motorway, then for the next owner, well, re-read the thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the Charade left for pastures new and a tenth name on its log book. Its gone to live with the 'other' surviving Charade CX. The new owner has a friend who wants to take the engine apart and find what wrong with it this time. If it doesn't get repaired then it'll become spares for that green one.

post-5021-0-47386100-1494102640_thumb.jpg

Good news that it's (possibly) going to live another day. 

I think I might recognize the road in the picture as sadly enough I recognize the Audi from my days driving round Hudds as a pizza/supermarket delivery man.

Is it yours or a neighbour?

Good news that it's (possibly) going to live another day. 

I think I might recognize the road in the picture as sadly enough I recognize the Audi from my days driving round Hudds as a pizza/supermarket delivery man.

Is it yours or a neighbour?

The Audi belongs to a neighbour and there's been an Audi of that shape parked in that spot for the last decade. The road is in FartTown just down from ASDA.

I had feared the worst for this, but this is a happy ending if ever I saw one.

So what's next, Sir? Back to the British shite?

Well, there is enough British shite knocking around to keep me occupied for years. There's an Allegro in the garage at the moment having a suspension rebuild. However, since when did outstanding projects ever stop anyone from buying another car they don't actually need...? :-D

Hi Everyone, i bought the charade, the day after this i removed the engine, and it will be stripped down as soon as my engine stand arrives. I have a friend in Indonesia ready to supply me with all the parts i could ever need and my mate who loves rebuilding engines is ready to go!  Im hoping this car will be back on the road before the MOT runs out! I will keep you all updated on my progress :)