Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Daihatsu Debut - MoT passed! Broken again!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#91 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 109 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield, West Yorkshire

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

The little stud from the manifold pictured above was beautifully repaired by the same company who rebuilt the radiator. Proper job, too with silver solder and the correct angles for the stubs lined up by eye. I'm happy to report that the car now seems to be leaking...nothing!

So; in about 12 hours from now it should be beginning its MoT test! This is assuming it survives a rather ambitious drive from Huddersfield to my favourite MoT tester in Darwen.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

• alf892, The Moog, Squire_Dawson and 1 other like this

#92 OFFLINE   Conrad D. Conelrad

Conrad D. Conelrad

• Full Members
  • 5,910 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationgtr mcr

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:46 AM

That's spooky, I was just thinking about this thread yesterday. 

Best of luck tomorrow, little car. 

#93 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Beard in Wales

• Full Members
  • 22,256 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

Fingers are indeed crossed.

1986 Citroen 2CV Dolly (Back on the road!) 1997 Daimler 4.0 (hopeless) 1997 Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD (sold)

1997 Honda S-MX (JDM YO!) 1999 Perodua Nippa EX (Tiny)

HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#94 OFFLINE   lovejoy

lovejoy

• Full Members
  • 624 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationKeeping Kool in de Women's Institute

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

GOOD LUCK with 8270 JT  !   I have my legs crossed too !!

( I will be up in Dorset next week, you had better come collect all my Charade spares )  :-D

" He who rests, RUSTS. (now TOTALLY Browned off....)

#95 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 109 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

What a day!

We set off from Huddersfield around 11am with a quick pit-stop in ASDA for a full tank of petrol and hit the road. Our chosen route was the A640 out of Hudds heading for Milnrow, then skirt the edge of Dogdale and head up the A680 'Owd Bets' road and then pick up the B6232 Grane Rd in to Darwen. reasonable enough stuff. Things started well, the drive to Milnrow across the tops was great. It drove really well, the engine was on song. Going was good. A quick pit-stop on Kingsway Business Park in Rochdale to check things over and... oh - an oil leak. Quite a big one, too. Still, oil in the boot - lets put some in and off we go. The next pit stop was at the bottom of the A680 and the oil is coming out at a steady rate. It's also burning off on the exhaust pipe. We wonder if it's the mounting for the oil filter where it's bolted to the block. Out come the sockets and I do get the two bolts nipped up a bit. More oil goes in and off we go. It's a bit of a climb out of Rochdale on this road and the car is still smoking (therefore must still be leaking oil on to the exhaust). We pull in outside the Owd Betts pub and decide to call it quits. I ring the AA and we head in to the pub for a bonus pub lunch.

The AA takes us the short distance on to my MoT place in Darwen and the car goes straight in the air on the lift and sure enough the leak is coming from where we suspected. My mechanic has it all reapired and oil tight in half an hour and we get on with the MoT.

The good news is, it now has 12 month's MoT and no advisories! This was, however a false flag and the car duly disgraced itself once more on the way home. I leave Darwen and all is fine. the car's been sat running for most of the MoT test and all seems good. I get out of town and hit the B6232 and happily motoring along about 50mph. Hmmm...I think the engine sounds a little louder. Yup, it's getting louder, and it's banging. Thankfully, there was another pub for me to bail out at. I turn in to the car park and it cuts out. I coast in to a space and the car starts up again, except it now has the same metallic clattering noise it once did two years ago when it arrived with me. Balls!

I finally get home via another AA patrol about 7.30pm with a fully MoT'd but broken (terminally?) Charade. A couple of people have suggested I bung it on eBay as spares/repairs. It's either that or the scrap man. I'll sleep on it and decide which option I'll go for...

Attached Images

• 2017-04-21 12.41.27 (Medium).jpg
  • 2017-04-21 13.42.23 (Medium).jpg
  • 2017-04-21 15.22.40 (Medium).jpg
  • 2017-04-21 17.38.14 (Medium).jpg

• Conrad D. Conelrad and Coprolalia like this

#96 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

What an absolute pisser :( I can imagine there's little mojo left in reserve to fix it yourself, but with a full clean ticket its surely too good to scrap?

Someone else will take it on and hopefully have new enthusiasm to get it back up and running.

• shumarialto and adw1977 like this

LAST OWNER WAS SON OF A BANKER

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it is broke just ignore it, and maybe it'll be sort of OK...?

#97 OFFLINE   Conrad D. Conelrad

Conrad D. Conelrad

• Full Members
  • 5,910 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationgtr mcr

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:54 AM

Oh no :(

This car is haunted. 

• theshadow likes this

#98 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Beard in Wales

• Full Members
  • 22,256 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

Was it ever parked near the haunted P6? Surely it must have been. I'm gutted, and it's not even my car.
  • shumarialto likes this

1986 Citroen 2CV Dolly (Back on the road!) 1997 Daimler 4.0 (hopeless) 1997 Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD (sold)

1997 Honda S-MX (JDM YO!) 1999 Perodua Nippa EX (Tiny)

HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#99 OFFLINE   spartacus

spartacus

• Full Members
  • 703 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

That's really bad luck, I feel for you, we've probably all had a similar situation but that doesn't make you feel any better.

#100 OFFLINE   KruJoe

KruJoe

Joe Cleland

• Full Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationChiangMai.th / Malhamdale.uk

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

What a bummer. Not Like.

#101 OFFLINE   Conrad D. Conelrad

Conrad D. Conelrad

• Full Members
  • 5,910 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationgtr mcr

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Was it ever parked near the haunted P6? Surely it must have been. I'm gutted, and it's not even my car.

This thing makes the Haunted P6 look like Casper. 

#102 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 109 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

I'm convinced there's something going on that's not easily explained. I'm fairly calm about it - I'm more disappointed than upset. I'll probably bung it on eBay for a week. Someone might want it to put A.N.Other engine from a different car in it. I've also tried getting in touch with the lad who owns the green Charade CX via the Facebook to see if he wants it for spares - no reply as yet. If I get no response from those two approaches then it'll be off to the crusher.

#103 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Salad is what food eats

• Full Members
  • 34,222 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

To even suggest that this thing is remotely as evil as the haunted P6 is not only a slap in the face of the man who persisted with it for seven years,

it also demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding the magnitude of what I went through.

• RayMK likes this

1970 Rover P6 V8..........................................................blue in colour

1970 Rover P6 V8........................................................white in colour

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked
1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running

1991 Jaguar 4.0 Sovereign.................with bolloxed steering and fucked wings

1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate...................................almost mint

#104 OFFLINE   Conrad D. Conelrad

Conrad D. Conelrad

• Full Members
  • 5,910 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationgtr mcr

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

To even suggest that this thing is remotely as evil as the haunted P6 is not only a slap in the face of the man who persisted with it for seven years,

it also demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding the magnitude of what I went through.

Disagree. The only difference with the Charade is you knew when to bail out.

Can you really argue that the Charade was less malicious than the P6? In the very short time you had it, it blew a head gasket on the motorway, proved a pain in the arse to fix IIRC (I can't find the posts about it), rewarded your repair with a rattling sound, broke its radiator, cut out for no reason on a busy motorway, then for the next owner, well, re-read the thread. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users