Daihatsu Debut - The nightmare is over

Austin-Rover

I was hoping to never be reminded of this piece of shit, but alas.

When the car arrived, it was low on oil and the oil didn't look good, hence it was changed immediately.

The car always was a tad low on power and I'm sick and tired of this 'yeah, it's slow because automatic' horseshit that's unfortunately impossible to kill despite RONG.

I know how these drive because I spent a lot of time in them back in Japan in the 90s.

My guess was the carburetter, although no real defect could be diagnosed. Sourcing a replacement carb commenced, but led nowhere at the time.

Today (i.e. since the ordeal I went through with the car) I'm convinced there is nothing wrong with it anyway.

The car was driven by the Junkwoman, not me, and one day it started to overheat on the motorway. She left the motorway at the next exit, stopped the car and turned it off.

Her description of the symptoms and chronology of events are pretty useless for telling what actually happened, but it is safe to say that at no time the engine seized up.

When I arrived an hour later, it had cooled down. I filled water, tried to start it, it turned over on the starter as if there was little compression and didn't start.

It was then transported to my local garage, who diagnosed OMGHGF.

I decided to do the job myself.

- The head was skimmed and the valves were reground.

- It was reassembled with a new cambelt (despite the one on it was fairly new, but I can't bring myself towards re-using a used cambelt) and the valve clearance was set once the engine was warm.

- After reassembly, the engine was filled with fresh oil and fitted with a (yet again) new filter, and the cooling system with water only, to check for leaks, since the suspected culprit was the metal cooling pipe across the front of the engine, which had several leaks, which had been re-soldered.

The engine didn't run right and there was smoke from the exhaust. That's when I had enough (this was the second Japanese car I had bought that year and to say I'm underwhelmed by them would be the understatement of the century) and offered the car for sale. No further work was done by me, this includes not changing the water for proper coolant.

However, the car ran reasonably well - albeit with its inherent slight lack of power - on a trip to a Cannock autoshite in the community auction and later on the delivery trip to Chester.

I never made a secret out of the engine being borked. I suspect either knackered rings, or piston slap, which meanwhile probably caused further damage.

Calm down dear ;) , I'm not pointing the finger at you :) . When I said "previous owner", I meant a bloke by the name of John Corbett.

From the linked thread (and comments you made thereon) - and from what you've just posted above (and for which I thank you :) ) - I ever-more-strongly suspect the "overheating" problem was already a medium-to-longer-term issue pre-dating your ownership because you posted "the oil didn't look good" and Mrs Junkwoman later noticed the car was overheating - and it was only ever going to get worse.

It seems to have finally become a terminal issue when Mr C (one or two owners later than your good self ;) ) drove it home - a journey which ended on the back of a recovery vehicle.

BUT! I am not blaming anyone (and especially not you or Mrs Junkman :), nor Lovejoy or anyone else from this parish who has had their sticky mitts upon this car) - as I posted on Sunday I submit this is a problem caused by long term use of plain water in the rad as per the instruction manual/owner's handbook and which finally came home to roost just recently :( .

Rich (the new owner) is where he is with this car and I have somehow got involved (no idea how! :lol: ). Plans are in place to rejuvenate the thing with a new engine (last week of April, I believe...) and a refurbed rad, and it will drive again :) .

PS has anyone got an early Haynes book o'lies we can borrow or buy? ;)

Scuffing sound followed by engine stopping by itself and struggling to turn over sounds a lot like a bottom end bearing to me.

What's the availability of bearings, rings and gaskets like? Can't you just hoik the engine out and give it a quick rings and bearings rebuild save messing around trying to find another half-knackered engine? You can even get cheap cylinder hones that go in the drill for about £15.

Engine extracted today! The oil was drained off before we lifted it from the car, and it had some very pretty silvery patterns running through it as it came out the sump!

It all went pretty well considering we were working blind and didn't have anything in the way of manuals to consult. Indeed, it all went swimmingly until I was clubbing away with the wooden end of a lump hammer to split the unbolted gearbox from the block and I slipped, splitting my thumbnail in two! Ouch!

post-5021-0-92385000-1429650604_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-74623700-1429650616_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Look what the nice man from TNT brought today - one refurbished CB-23! Re-installation won't start for a month or two due to there being a Mk2 Cav having its nether regions fettled in the garage. However, once that's done - Daihatsu in the garage and let see if it all goes back together... Eep!

17281367833_73e9cc863b.jpg

• 4 months later...

Since the refurbished engine came back at the end of May, the poor little Daihatsu has been largely forgotten as car shows have taken up Summer weekends and other cars have been in the garage for various works. I lost count of how many times we had to push it up and down the drive as it got in the way! Despite no actual works happening, I've been picking up service and brake parts off eBay for a couple of quid here and there ready for when reassembly started.

Last month, the engine and box were reunited, and a new water pump and cam belt fitted. Cue another few weeks with no work, until today -  the power* unit was hoisted in and reattached to its mountings. Woo! Next job is to get the drive shafts back in and then start re-attaching manifolds, ancillaries and have the radiator repaired.

post-5021-0-92092100-1444930377_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-53244900-1444930383_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another productive couple of hours in the Austin Rover themed service bay today. Engine mountings tightened, drive shafts back in the gear box, exhaust manifold back on and exhaust reattached. That's pretty much all the horrible underneath jobs done for now. I need to get the radiator repaired (new ones for the Auto seemingly no longer exist anywhere) and in the meantime whilst that is away I can get on with the inlet manifold and other ancillaries.

post-5021-0-13678800-1445969860_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-45092500-1445969864_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last weekend we had the refurbished radiator and a repaired coolant pipe fitted and the coolant system filled. The vacuum system caused us a bit of a headache - it turned out we'd not got the right pipes on the right stubs and completely missed a stub hiding on the back of the carburettor. We'd had the engine turning over last weekend but it wouldn't fire, unsurprisingly.

This weekend (and with the right pages in the workshop manual found showing how the vacuum system was plumbed in consulted during the week) we tweaked one or two things and after turning the distributor to and fro...the engine started!

Celebrations were short lived as the petrol pump had sprung a huge and impressive leak so until a new one arrives we can't carry on with fine tuning the ignition timing or running in of the engine.

The mere fact that it runs is a huge milestone and hopefully the biggest hurdle now overcome in the car's return to the road.

Thanks one again to Rich Smith (e287yba on here) for his continued encouragement, support and free labour.

post-5021-0-03665500-1448826759_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-92242800-1448826762_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-08791000-1448826768_thumb.jpg