Torsten's Toss! Is Back!

Torsten2001

Posted Image

Crikey, I can just imagine Hyacinth on her cordless slimline telephone telling off some poor Rover parts salesman for being unable to supply the original factory wheel trims, whilst long-suffering Richard stares sadly at the floor. Top spotting!

oh 240's everytime! The 740's although of the same era just aren't built as well, this one had no headlining, trim missing, bumper was loose, no heater (was bypassed), was 40k overdue for a cambelt, no reverse lights and broken lenses, so then I checked the oil and it didn't register on the dip stick. It reeked of neglect despite 11 months MOT and the owner having bought it off Burtons the tailor 14 years ago, it would make a good hack but too much for me to make nice!

Presumably the 740 would have been more expensive? It doesn't look an awful lot bigger though, like perhaps the difference between a BMW 5 Series & A BMW 7 Series, so it seems strange to me that the designations suggest a 740 is far & away bigger & better than a 240! Infact 5 times higher up the range? :?

There's not a great deal of difference in terms of space in fact I think the 7 series was supposed to relace the 2 series. I don't think there's a great deal of thought befind the designations, while the 2 series was current they brought out the little 3 series! Bloody Swedes eh!

I like the 740's, although I've never experienced driving a 240. The 7s are tough mechanically and bodily, the '85 and '89 my brother had had never been welded and both were rust-free! I don't like the noisy 2.3 lump, droopy headlinings and dodgy fuel/temp gauges though.But I'm feeling the love of an early 940 saloon if I change job and give up the company Saab...