Volvo 760 NOT in Scotland

Minimad5

Just seeing the interior shots of this has reminded me what a lovely place these are to be. I did some serious mileage across the south during the worst storm of the year last year and it was just effortless and smooth the whole way, A++ heater, brilliant driving position, decent tunes on the stereo. Lovely stuff. Would do again.

This will become my daily sooner than i had hoped.

Not just because all the bits have turned up, but also because some fucked pulled out on me, when in the daily. Urgh.

Some company is sorting out getting it fixed with costs coming from other side, as i'm only third party f&f .....

So anyway, you'll get an update of new brake bits soon.

So i took the day off today, and with a bit of a dead arm i decided it was a good time to do these brakes, anyway have some pictures:

Nast old brakes
IMG_0479_zpsalahvtqo.jpg

New calipers, disc and pads
IMG_0480_zpsnuivn1kz.jpg
... yes that picture didn't actually have the pads in, nor did it have the little spring and pins but they were installed.

I even treated it to some new boots
IMG_0481_zpsv3d47mg4.jpg

I also found it to have no air filter at all, so installed one of them. And since ECP were having some sort of sale, i decided to get 6 plugs, oil filter and some other service bits - Just waiting for some 'cheap' ignition leads to be sourced and we're on a roll.

The car feels so much better to drive with the new tyres and brakes, and it decided to repay me by squeeling its belts whilst on a drive, so new belts too tomorrow (hopefully)
I could do with a new handbrake mechanism 'bit' that is on the rear axle, but a chat to the local Volvo independent and a quick google returned no positive results, so may have to fabricate something up.

So tomorrows list:
V belts x3 replace
Power steering fluid - top up
New oil and filters
Clean inside thoroughly
Possibly lay a bit of MIG wire on exhaust blow.

Potential Stupid Question:

How big are the tanks in these ?

As i have 'filled up' twice now and struggled to fit a sufficient amount of fuel in, first time was £25 worth (so about 20 litres or so) and before i just sqeezed 10.1 litres in.

I have not checked the tank breather yet, but surely i should be getting more fuel in the tank than that ?

Thanks

I think my fuel gauge has a short somewhere, i have not checked yet, but i'll do that at the weekend.

The fuel gauge isn't a problem yet, the problem is the lack of fuel i'm able to actually put into the tank, not very scientific but i shook the car earlier and listened for 'sloshing' .. It sounded empty so went to buy fuel and as i said, only squeezed 10.1 litres in.

I'll buy some tube and do a dip test Monday, as unfortunately tomorrow i'm on a 13hr shift :/

Then i can remove and clean breathers etc.

I know this is an exceedingly daft question, but has it got the proper tank in it, or has the tank got a big dent in it? I have known a fuel tank vacuum itself smaller due to a blocked breather, also seen one with a big dent after being jacked up underneth the tank (although that one was also leaking).

SVM, how many miles should he expect to get from a tank of each size?

Mark, remember to press the trip next time you brim it. Was the fuel actually to the top of the neck, or was the pump just clicking off? It may be one of those cars that backs up as you fill it and clicks the pump off early - my Rover does it sometimes.

SVM, how many miles should he expect to get from a tank of each size?

Mark, remember to press the trip next time you brim it. Was the fuel actually to the top of the neck, or was the pump just clicking off? It may be one of those cars that backs up as you fill it and clicks the pump off early - my Rover does it sometimes.

DON'T PRESS THE TRIP! It will break the mileometer; maybe not this time, but it will next time. Use the free acar app if you have one of these clever phones, or use a good old paper and pen if you don't.

Looking back at my acar records I was getting about 250 miles out of a tank round the town (24mpg) in the Council Estate with the smaller tank, 350 out the larger tank in the 940 manual (24mpg-ish). The 940 backs up more than the 740 does though I'm not sure what filler neck will be on your estate.

I'll grab some pictures of filler neck tomorrow.

It seems to sit and back up in the filler neck, then leave it a minute or two, and it finally sloshes down ... Repeat this step for a few minutes and you've successfully got £4 worth of fuel.

Tried blowing the breather out today whilst 'working dead hard' at work, and managed to destroy the metal part (was blocked and with 8bar it decided to tear a hole in itself, it was rusty anyway) So shall be buying a new one of them.

I'll try drop the fuel tank at the weekend and investigate, just finished a 13hr shift so cannay be bothered right now.

DON'T PRESS THE TRIP! It will break the mileometer; maybe not this time, but it will next time. Use the free acar app if you have one of these clever phones, or use a good old paper and pen if you don't.

As long as the car is completely stationary and the ignition is off you can press the trip reset on a Volvo 700.

NEVER EVER do it when moving as it will eat the tiny cog made of cheese that lives in the very fiddly and complicated speedo unit. Replacements start at about £30 and go on to POA and the job of replacement will test your levels of patience.

There's a good guide for doing this and for testing the fuel gauge on the net which is handy.

The last gallon or so. takes forever as it "burps" out the breather.

If you're trip/odometer is working then judging between fill ups will be easier. Personally I'd never do more than 250 miles between full tank to full tank fills as any more can be a bit hit or miss and running out is a pisser.

As long as the car is completely stationary and the ignition is off you can press the trip reset on a Volvo 700.

NEVER EVER do it when moving as it will eat the tiny cog made of cheese that lives in the very fiddly and complicated speedo unit. 

Same goes for classic Saab 900s.  Pressing reset while moving = mileometer borkage.  There are some surprisingly fragile components in what are otherwise very sturdy vehicles.  

Gentlemen,

Anyone interested in buying this fine steed off me ?

I'm only selling as i'm at bursting point, and once my V70 is back from being repaired, means it will have to sit on the road, and i don't want it getting damaged.

I'll be fitting new track rod ends on Friday, and will try flush the gearbox whilst i'm there.

Gearbox fluid is a good colour and smell, but i'm just being fussy.

MOT till december.

'Drive you home' TAX

Can deliver for cost of fuel and return train ticket or flight.

I've already done about 220 miles in it, and apart from the saggy headlining, i could happily drive it to the moon and back.

Would like £350 - As this would pay for my unit rent (that sadly it won't fit in)

Location - Wirral / Cheshire

No doubt i've missed something, so feel free to ask.

Edit:

Fuel tank issue was a blocked breather AND a full tank of fuel in it (embarrassed face)

For some reason I thought NI MOTs weren't valid here but doovla shows test til 31/10.

£350 seems to be the going rate, I nearly bought a £350 240SE estate during the week. Sadly I didn't have the cash for that and likewise I don't have the cash for this. Soz.

GLWTS etc.

ONE DAY ONLY:

Buy this today (or leave a 50% deposit) and get it for £300.

Fitted a new fuel filter today, and have replaced one TRE (other one actually seemed okay, but will be getting replaced Sunday)

V70 is back Monday, which means this will be sitting on the road, unfortunately unused.

Please don't make me put it on Ebay !