Mercedes 300td Estate-SOLD!

dome

Great save, always wanted one of these, where did the zip tie and bungee cord tip come from ?

www.superturbodiesel.com

What those boys can do with these engines is impressive to say the least. 500bhp+ is not uncommon and there's a lot of knowledge on there.

Well done, I like it when someone can be arsed to go through the hassle of sorting a borked engine. After all the work the first few miles are pretty apprehensive but once you realise all is well you experience a wonderful feeling of satisfaction for a job well done.

Spirit of Autoshite right there.... Buy something deeply unpopular in a "nah...." colour combo, have it shit itself in the first week. Then fix it. Properly, at great expense and adding nothing to its value. Then run it on chip fat. Probably forever. This has nearly stopped me from hating W210s. I hope I don't wake up wanting one tomorrow, I have enough trouble now....

• 3 weeks later...

Well, around 500 miles have been completed since it went back on the road including fife to Stranraer and back yesterday. Slight leak of something from underneath but I left the undertrays off just now so it could've been leaking before anyway.

Transmission fluid and filter changed too, next mission is the back box and maybe a new set of wheels as I don't like the ones it wears.

Anyone want a set of 16" bottle tops with 4 good tyres?

• 2 weeks later...

Been gathering together bits and bobs to get this thing the way I want it-all of the stuff I meant to do when I first got it but somehow the cylinder head shitting itself got in the way of things...

First up, viton o rings for the fuel pump with copper washers-the original ones don't last long on veg and start to leak-I have the special tool which I bought for my previous Mercs so this should be easy enough.

At the same time I'll do the fuel tank strainer-a new one has been bought and I'll keep the old one to swap over if it clogs up on veg.

Second thing is the back box-one of the mounts has rusted off

post-7629-0-42170200-1431029066_thumb.jpg

A new rear section is £ far too much.

One of these cost me £15 posted

post-7629-0-04337300-1431028732_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's a bit of pipe with a 30 degree bend. Back box chopped off and that will be made to fit with some quality* engineering. It won't be visible from outside and won't be too noisy, at least for me in the drivers seat.

Finally last night I picked up these bad boys

post-7629-0-98229900-1431028694_thumb.jpg

Staggered 18" AMG alloys for £ far too little. They seem round and have mostly legal tyres. I wanted to go for 17"s but these came up locally at the right price. Had to order different wheel nuts which I'm waiting for and then they'll bolt on. Hopefully won't be too bling as they are standard Merc alloys and it's bound to look better than the current 16" alloys.

Am away his weekend but this is my mission for the next week or so. Will check out the brakes/suspension too when I'm swapping wheels as there's a clunk from the front that sounds like a drop link.

If this goes to plan then a couple of cheeky mods from the Merc forums using strategically wired resistors will give it an EGR delete(handy when running on veg) and more boost. 

In the midst of all this I managed to buy a Ford Fusion TDCI with a blown turbo-got it home on the Sunday, turbo off that night, striped it on Monday and ordered the parts and rebuilt the turbo and did 100 miles on the Tuesday night  B) Just waiting for the V5 to come in and I can flog it!

Made a start to the next stage of work on this in between the horrible showers today.

Mr. Grinder, meet Mr. Old and Knackered Backbox.

post-7629-0-24972600-1431350135_thumb.jpg

New "tailpipe" fitted succesfully-makes it look vaguely respectable and directs gases in the right direction.

post-7629-0-98865000-1431350165_thumb.jpg

Verdict-Sounds good with only a slight noise increase in the cabin. Seems to have given it a bit more oomph too. Win.

"Aaah yeah, bitches be cray fo mah wagon!"

"Amma fry der chip furrem fore they know what hittem, BAAAYM!"

Looks good chief

Cheers. I'm going for the antique drug dealer look. With the added aroma of chips...

• 4 months later...

Well this is still going strong happily munching Veg and covering ground in a most pleasant fashion.

I'd be more than happy to keep it but a friend is selling a (not very autoshite sadly) 330d estate at a bargain price so this may be up for sale. It can go to a shiter for £1500. Not cheap I know but its not rusty, has had loads spent and the alloys on their own are worth a fair bit. MOT December but if its still here next month it'll be getting another year on it.

• 2 months later...

Well, this is now officially for sale due to me actually liking my new BMW. Plus, if this goes I have space for a Manta...

£1500 to a shiter as it sits with an MOT til December 2016. Don't ask how much it owes me, I was scared to count up the bills. 

Will need a couple of tyres on the rear and glow plugs changed (New ones there and the old ones were refitted with copper grease when i did the head so shouldn't be an issue). 6 Bosch Duratherms included. Front tyres catch on the arches occasionally. If I was keeping it I'd put the front 255 tyres on the rear and fit 235s to the front Tailgate has a bit of rust below the window but other than that it's in bloody good nick. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've sourced a set of Merc 16" alloys for this which make it look a bit less gangsta and also stop the front tyres from rubbing. If anyone wants it on those without the AMG wheels I'll reduce the price a bit just give me a shout.