I can haz Umm - it's a little broken

skattrd

One for the PSA apologists ... can anyone tell me what this stalk is originally from. My guess would be Pug 505/504

It's my wiper stalk and a bit temperamental.

post-4715-0-88373100-1466331169_thumb.jpg

Note to self: Rainx windscreen just in case switch stops working

IIRC all pre-facelift 505 stalks (including saloon ones) have the function to control the rear wiper, while no 305 stalks do- the rear wiper on a 305 is on a separate switch. I imagine that means that they have different connectors on them.

Edit- post-facelift for 305 stalks, that's the ones from Y reg on that had four wheel studs.

I messaged the ebay chap and got him to post some more pics of his new 505 wiper switch, and it looks the same, so I've bitten the bullet and bought it, £40inc.

I am slightly concerned that having one new stalk will look odd, but what the hell, it's not like anything else in the Umm matches.

Have you bought a shit caravan for SF too?

Nope, just doing day visitor with the Umm on Saturday.

I might pop back on the Sunday if I have time ... I'd probably be in a different vehicle though, Espace, 340 or 850.

• 2 years later...

2 years later, here's an update ...

The Umm failed the MOT on a few minor things, plus a couple of more serious ones, the main one being a crack on the steering box support. Yesterday was supposed to be the day to rectify this, and it was booked in at the garage for the repair.

Long story short, its not just a small crack. The steering box mount has been repaired more than once already and not particularly well, it's a mess.

post-4715-0-65320900-1537337646_thumb.jpg

The steering box (Land Rover 4-bolt) mount is circled and the yellow scribbles are where the plate is cracked. 

Discussion has occurred and the more knowledgeable people have decided that it is best to cut the front of the plate off and make a new one out of 6mm steel and weld that back in place.

To get access to this we have removed the radiator, cowl and a few other things at the front of the engine. Whilst the front of the engine is easy to get at, it's a good time to replace the water pump and various belts... so I'm now shopping for other bits. The radiator might actually get repaired before it's refitted as well.

All of this means that the Umm will probably remain where it is for a little while longer, but I am hoping it will be on the road before the end of the year.

I haven't shown any pictures of the rest of the vehicle as that's looking considerably worse as well, oh and the tailgate hinges appear to be seized .

• 2 weeks later...

Marginal progress, more stuff was removed from the front of Umm and technical* drawings made for reference of belt numbers and locations

post-4715-0-97695900-1538203343_thumb.jpg post-4715-0-54686400-1538203373_thumb.jpg

Generic Indenor water-pump was received from motor factors, and it doesn't fit. The pump used on this motor in Pug 505 and various Fords was not used in Umm, more research showed that we need the pump that was used on the Indenor in the Peugeot J9 van, brake master cylinder is apparently the same as the one from the J9 as well.

Library pic of J9 van:

PEUGEOT-J9-0.jpg

J9 van now added to "want" list

So no real progress made, but ordering of parts progressing.

It was mentioned that the engine is quite far back in the bay, so much that it is completely behind the front axle, therefore the Umm is actually mid-enginged, which adds to the sporty credentials of the vehicle. Also the engine space available is quite big, so a much bigger engine would fit, if it was wanted, but I like turbo Indenor. so that's staying.

edit: belt sizes for reference:

Vacuum 10x600
Steering 13x1075
Alternator 10x888
Water 10x1000

edit

Fuel pump.

I am surprised, there are people in Umm groups that like Lucas.

There is no mention of veg, but apparently Lucas are better for road use and Bosch for off road. Higher top end speed with Lucas (150km/h) and more low end grunt, torque with Bosch.

I can't imaging wanting to do 150km/h in my Umm, prefer low end torque and veg suitability, so I shall consider Bosch pumping the Umm

http://forumm.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25821

https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/bomba-injetora-bosch-11mm-umm-alter-cournil-IDBhehy.html

• 3 months later...

Whilst I'm here, minor update.

Very little progress, just the old mount cut off and a new plate cut and drilled.

After this was done I was then told that the garage welder isn't up to the job of welding the 5mm plate for the steering box mount. Short version, I should be collecting a new welder later this week. Then hopefully this can be attached properly and I can remember how to reassemble the front of the Umm..

post-4715-0-96593300-1546890040_thumb.jpg

That steering mount is the factory solution for RHD Umm.

The conversion from left to rhd is a bit of a mess and does involve a Land Rover steering box, some parts from a CJ5 jeep and a couple that were custom made for the job. See earlier posts about me buying a CJ5 track rod end from the US and then having it modified for the job.

After speaking with other people in the Umm community, most rhd Umms have had some work done to the mount by now.

• 6 months later...