Ropey Stretch Limos

As Bollox brought one up in the eBay thread, it has struck me lately that I've seen absolutely loads of toss stretch limos around in recent months. Limos have always been around but it seems like in the last 3 months there has been an invasion of them, since I'm not in anywhere particularly glitzy I used to see a limo about once a week, now it seems like I see at least 2-3 a day!

Admittedly these round-shape Town Cars have been a feature of weddings for a while now and whilst they're a bit toss I don't have a huge problem with them:

Posted Image

But what I mean is the cheapo tat, there's a lot of fairly shonky looking early 90s or older ones going around at the moment, many quite obviously have been given a cheap blowover (often in white, sometimes in pink). Where did they all come from, are they importing them across even now?

The whole limo trade strikes me as proper dodgy to be honest, especially the ones where it's a huge stretched Hummer or something. How on earth do some of these get an SVA? I'd love to see how some of them are built, especially some of the more low-rent stuff like that Vauxhall Frontera based one posted some time ago. What about the converted ambulances and fire engines and stuff, surely you can't just bung a load of faux-leather seats in and legally set up business? Taxi drivers have to do a fair bit more than that to get a licence sorted out and have more regular inspections done on their motors and theirs aren't generally liable to have huge sections of the chassis welded in.

I wonder about these super huge limos too where the axles are miles apart:

Posted Image

Wonder what would happen if something substantial drove straight into the side of it, even these Hummers I would imagine would snap like a twig unless they've got some sort of huge rollcage or something.

Anyone a bit more informed about this care to share a bit of info on this subject? Just interested really, especially in terms of the conversions, SVA, etc.

I spent 3 years driving stretch limos, I'm still involved with a limo company (you'll spot a couple of limos in some of my pics here and there).To drive, they're great in a straight line but not so hot around corners.The Towncars have great engines and seem pretty bombproof mechanically but they do rot spectacularly in the UK as the rust proofing is minimal at best. Unfortunately, it seems common for importers to waxoyl them when they arrive, by which time they're already beginning to rot. Waxoyl over rot isn't a wonderful idea, as any fule kno.The driving compartment bit isn't a particularly nice place to be. Ok you've got leather, cruise, power everything, but the AC systems are forever giving grief as they've normally had a huge chunk of extra pipework added along to service the rear compartment.Side impact wise, on most there is absolutely fuck all apart from the drinks bar and seat frame. Combine this with the huge amounts of rot that can occur (rot that is often missed on MOT's) and you've driving something that offers similar crash resistance to a damp paper bag. Unfortunately for the driver, if the stretch bit is rot free, then the driver is sitting in the middle of the crumple zone as the rear compartment will try to sit in the drivers seat if there is a heavy enough front or rear impact. In side impacts it's the rear passengers that get squished.Later examples of the Towncar (approx 2003 onwards) have to go through US side impact tests before they get US type approval.If you ever have to hire a limo, *DO NOT* go with any company that says they can carry more than 8 passengers - they simply cannot without breaking the law, but a lot of the shyster operators will tell you its fine to carry 10-12 or even more in 'em.

I have a feeling Europe and elsewhere is a dumping ground for the old shite which doesn't cut it in the US any more.Loads of info on the legalities here:http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/taxi ... nes?page=1

There are very few limousine types that are currently compliant with ... with GB construction requirements, and is a requirement for a limousine used for carrying paying passengers.The Department is aware that vehicles not complying with GB construction regulations have been registered and is taking steps to prevent this. For most of these vehicles it will be expensive to convert them so that they comply.

Annuver fink.

This

Posted Image

is a stretched Lincoln on Prague reg plates. I wouldn't fancy trying to get one of those through the Czech registration procedure.

I'm actually going to flog my turbo Rangie soon as there is no way on earth I'll be able to register it in CZ.

Interesting stuff, particularly the regulations!Had a bit of a search around and found places willing to offer limos of up to 24 seats in stretched Ford Excursion and Hummer H2 bodystyles and even a 26 seater Lincoln Navigator! Thoroughly illegal I suppose.

IIRC New York is enforcing some minimum fuel consumption standards which means that Town Cars will no longer be able to be used for 'car service' (which is an American term for 'upmarket minicab'). It will be done on a rolling date basis (so one purchased this year is good for use until 2015, whilst a six year one has to leave town in 2009). Loads of operators brought one this year, to avoid having to spend three times as much on a Lexus LS??? hybrid (whatever the MB S class equivalent one is called these days).So over the next 5-10 years I guess a lot more will be heading this way.

I've seen one in Hounslow,it's the same shape as the Starsky & Hutch one above but the front has been changed so that it looks like a Bentley :lol: .It's the Turbo R shape I think,with the 4 big headlights,I'm sure I saw somewhere there's a company in the States who make all sorts of kits to make them look like other cars.

Gr7 eBay listing skills on that Dennis fire engine

Listed in category: Cars, Parts & Vehicles > Classic Cars > American

Here's one which will find many friends on here

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-CHRYSLER-MAU ... 0315616648

here i have for sale

my bratz themed limousine

2001 in year seats 8

kids love it

Posted Image

Welcome aboard! Dya wanna be in my limo? etc.

It's a real shame when old fire engines are turned over to the slapper night out business. It's such a humiliating end for what was once a fine vehicle :( I often see ads for companies flogging oldish limos in the cla**ic car mags and astounds me some of the prices they ask. I mean, who really wants a 1989 6-door Carlton in black? I'm sure they were fine in their day for minesterial or funeral duties but the market for them now must be tiny.

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite sure but a good friend was offered that A60 limo a few years ago when it was black, he didn't end up with it though as he bought a Riley Riviera instead. A guy from the Liverpool area thats into A60's now owns it if its the same one

A few years ago mrs A and myself spent a day in Capri when we were on holiday in Italy and all the taxis were stretched Fiat Marea convertibles :shock: i couldn't see a picture of one, but look what I found while I was searching. I think it's based on a 1960s Fiat 1800 or similar, but it looks a fairly recent photo as it looks like a stretched Fiat Useless behind it :shock: :

Posted Image

it looks a fairly recent photo as it looks like a stretched Nissan Serena behind it :shock: :

corrected for accuracy.
Thanks for pointing out the error. I usually try to avert my eyes when a Serena comes into a view, so I hope that my apology will be accepted :wink:

mrs A and myself spent a day in Capri when we were on holiday in Italy and all the taxis were stretched Fiat Marea convertibles :shock: i couldn't see a picture of one

1. www.google.co.uk

2. type "fiat marea taxi capri"

3. click the Google Search button

4. behold ;)

Posted Image

Actually, in all seriousness, there's often some lovely shite turns up when you're hunting for something else. Same page as the above picture also has this beauty:

Posted Image

"with basket mesh seats" :lol: