how would you move this? abandoned dragline content.

dave21478

"Yah, so, Dave, could you have a look at that old digger at the bottom of the valley and see about getting rid of it?"

"err...ok?"

This thing has been sitting for decades. At a conservative estimate, I would say it weighs 5 tons or so. How the actual fuck am I supposed to move it? Access is via a narrow track so no chance of getting a heavy truck near it. I would guess when it was brought in it was dropped off at the roadside and driven down the track. Obviously its not driving anywhere in a hurry now.

post-17837-0-44243100-1424973528_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-83262100-1424973541_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-10892800-1424973553_thumb.jpg

Must have been an absolute pleasure* to operate for hours each day...

post-17837-0-93059000-1424973561_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-03224400-1424973571_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-37023500-1424973581_thumb.jpg

3 cylinder diesel thumping away right behind your head, spinning death inches to your left ready to suck your arm in and rip it off, plus the chance of a cable snapping and whiplashing through the cabin, cutting you in half.

The assorted control levers seemed to operate a system of open clutches and ratchets that operated various drums and gears from the constantly turning engine output shaft.

Probably have to cut it up on site. Thats going to cost a fair bit in oxy acetylene gas and will still be a mammoth task.

The cast iron counterweight looks like it will be fun to handle.....

post-17837-0-87635600-1424973590_thumb.jpg

Nah... the 'Foden Steam Boyzz'/ Arkwright Steam Powered Waterwheel Actiongroup.org.uk type bods would be on it like a tramp on chips....

Plan B would be to pin a photo & Google coords on the gate post of yrr local 'Council funded travellers pitch' WCPGW   :-P

TS

I say get it running well enough to drive up that narrow track and onto a trailer. Cutting it up and moving those super-heavy bits will take far longer, and will probably give you a hernia (or two !).

Also, posting a video of it running on here should be enough for you to WIN* AUTOSHITE !

(* at least until Junkman resurrects that Lanz Bulldog that's been dormant in his cellar since the autumn of 1952)

That's only a baby one. I would say you deffo need to get it running if only to drop the boom down for disassembly/scrapping.

If you can get a tractor and a flat trailer, lower the boom onto that then disconnect it. If it came to it a big 4WD tractor would drag the thing down the track and onto a wagon.  What engine is it - Dorman or a Ruston I would guess? Both flavours have a value if it is doomed, both are proper old school so you've a good chance of them cranking up unless it is full of water in the wrong place or something of course.

As  a mobile plant fitter for the last shitload of years I would think you'll be cutting it up where it lays. You can tow/push tracked vehicles if you can disconnect the drive but nothing on that is going to move. How far off the road is it? Can you get a small wagon down to it?

It cant be started - I cant find the keys.

But more seriously, I had a brief twiddle and everything is seized, including the throttle lever, primer pump etc on the injection pump. Even if by some miracle it would run, all the shafts, clutches and controls are seized.

The owner doesnt want pikeys sniffing about the area so its probably going to come down to me. If I cut the drive chains it might freewheel, but even that is doubtful. I think it will end up being done with a gas axe and a lot of time.

Personally I would leave it. Its returning to nature with a tree growing through the boom and its not an offensive colour or anything, but its not my decision.

A Rover 211 with Ling longs on wet grass, some of that shit blue rope from Poundland...

If you want to make life difficult though I'd say something like advertising it on Ebay as 'barn find' then waiting for hours until someone turns up with a Micra or something to pull it the 180 mile return leg back home. Then will announce he'd like to pay with a Paypal e-cheque. After he's messed about for an hour or two after he's really bollocksed it up he'll announce in no uncertain terms that you've messed him about and he was under the impression a weekends work would have it digging the Chesterfield Canal.

Not helpful but many years ago a couple of mates of mine were house sitting a repossesion estate. The previous owner had done a runner with massive debts. Anyway they had a Caterpillar D8 sat on the driveway the pikeys managed to nick it and no one noticed until a couple of weeks later. It is amazing what a proper pikey can have it away with.

As far as shifting it goes, I'd ditch the oxy acetylene. What I'd do is drink really heavily the night before, then get up in the morning with an assortment of those shit Hacksaws they sell in Wilkinsons. Spend 3-4 hours wasting time and inevitably cash breaking blades and getting cramp in your shoulder trying to saw through it. Then after a heavy lunch, jury rig some sort of winch from nearby trees so you can get underneath to start undoing the chassis from the tracks. After what will seem like an eternity, the ambulance may or may not arrive.

It's of no help to you,but I've managed to shift one in similar looking condition. The engine had well and truly seized, so unbolted the hydraulic pump and powered it from a big electric drill running from a generator. Complicated by the fact the valve for the cab rotation had stuck open, so the whole thing was turning as it was (very slowly!) moving forwards.

Moved it a few hundred yards onto a beavertail truck, but it was painfully slow going.

In the 1950s, after my Grandad left his job as a fireman (the footplate kind) at Lincoln Loco shed, he got a job at the Ruston Bucyrus factory in the city. He was a crane loader and slinger.

Absolutely no help to you in moving it, but just my bit of RB history....