What do you do with a hot pink & rusty mini?

Fabergé Greggs

A grand, in that condition?  Bloody hell.  I'm definitely never going to own another Mini...

Mind you, my mate has just increased the agreed insurance value of his minty '69 1275 Cooper S to £30K.  Thirty motherfuckin' grand, for a Mini.  He let me have a hoon in it about 10 years ago - I have a feeling he might be more reluctant nowadays...

The Mini I owned years ago was pink underneath a dodgy beige blowover. It had been pink with yellow spots actually, a la Mr Blobby. It had featured in the Lanimer Day parade in Lanark just prior to me owning it. Every time a bit of beige flaked off it exposed its pink bits, if you'll pardon the expression. It was considerably more rusty, sporting Fred Flintstone style footwells on both sides. The rotten exhaust broke just past the downpipe on Great Western Road one night and I pulled it off and carried on regardless. I think I managed to beat Kenny driving his mk2 Fiesta in a traffic light grand prix up Argyle Street in Finnieston one evening though!

Have you worked out who I am yet? :)

For the benefit of everyone else, turns out Mr Twoshoes and I work together. Small world eh?

post-5062-0-80483800-1494980411_thumb.jpg

The Mini I owned years ago was pink underneath a dodgy beige blowover. It had been pink with yellow spots actually, a la Mr Blobby. It had featured in the Lanimer Day parade in Lanark just prior to me owning it. Every time a bit of beige flaked off it exposed its pink bits, if you'll pardon the expression. It was considerably more rusty, sporting Fred Flintstone style footwells on both sides. The rotten exhaust broke just past the downpipe on Great Western Road one night and I pulled it off and carried on regardless. I think I managed to beat Kenny driving his mk2 Fiesta in a traffic light grand prix up Argyle Street in Finnieston one evening though!

Have you worked out who I am yet? :)

For the benefit of everyone else, turns out Mr Twoshoes and I work together. Small world eh?

mini.jpg

Ha! Small world indeed- did not know you were on here!

That's a class mini- ex blobby is pure heritage..

Kenny used to keep me endlessly entertained with stories of that fiesta.

That's a very promising offer, thanks. 

I do need to stick wait for the new plate details to come through as it's not included, at which point I was gonna stick it on ebay, hoping for something a bit more north of a grand. 

The interior etc is bang on and complete and I've seen them go for £500, and the whole car has only done 19,000 miles so the engine/box have got to be worth something too?

Good luck whatever you decide.

I wouldn't want to pay any more than a grand though. I know exactly how much it will cost to repair and what it's worth done so that is as high as i would go.

Bare it in mind and let me know if you would sell for that.

My plan would be to restore it back to original and keep it so that I can actually have a Mini of my own on the road instead of just restoring other peoples..

Cheers

Ben

Dude, that looks as fucked as fucked can be.

I would get rid of it as fast as possible, while repeatedly congratulating myself on the amount of welding and other expense, grief and general unpleasantness I'd avoided by not even getting involved with it in any way at all*.

* can you tell I once owned a Mini?

I've owned 4 (5 if you count the BINI, 7 if you count A series Mini Metros)

1974 1000 Deluxe

1978 1100 Clubman

1979 850

1988 1000 Mayfair.

1986 Metro Turdo

1987 1275 Metro

2001 Cooper (Still got)

All are proof that "Midlands Engineering" is an oxymoron.   

Ha! Small world indeed- did not know you were on here!

That's a class mini- ex blobby is pure heritage..

Kenny used to keep me endlessly entertained with stories of that fiesta.

Yes. Lurker since 2007. Member since 2009. 

It was a terrible car. I bought it with an MOT but it was completely rotten. I ended up driving it for ages with little to no brakes because I think every single wheel cylinder leaked at some point. Suicidal balljoint play. Drove it with no clutch pedal at all back and forth to work for a few days, starting in first on the key. Think I paid £300 to a guy on a farm at Tillietudlem, near Lanark. It came with a set of 10" old Wolfrace alloys. Sold it to someone for £150 when it was just too dangerous to drive. I'd never drive a car in such bad condition now. This was when I was 19 or 20 or so.

Kenny's Fiesta was a good one. I think he got it with a really low mileage when his grandad died and went everywhere for years in it.

• 2 months later...

Great stuff! I never knew that the later ones were so badly rustproofed, explains why a friend had to yog out three grand sorting out the front end on what was otherwise a very tidy low mileage example.

• 4 weeks later...