What do you do with a hot pink & rusty mini?

Fabergé Greggs

I'm trying to recall exactly what got replaced on our Mini. I think it was every panel you can see, except bonnet, roof and bootlid. So, front wings, nose panel, scuttle, repairs to windscreen surround, a panels, door skins, sills (seem to recall the inners weren't too bad), rear wings. I managed to get correct-for-year black bumpers, but the finish was all wrong and they rotted out in no time at all. 

• 3 months later...

If you could afford the investment, I'd skip the months and months of welding just to end up with a wonky shell with panel gaps visible from space and get a replacement shell.

Rebuild it nicely and ask a stupid amount of money for it.

Incidently 10" wheels won't fit over the disc brakes.

If you could afford the investment, I'd skip the months and months of welding just to end up with a wonky shell with panel gaps visible from space and get a replacement shell.

Rebuild it nicely and ask a stupid amount of money for it.

Incidently 10" wheels won't fit over the disc brakes.

I'm afraid I'm going to go the cheap and wonky daily route. I ain't selling it as it's not in the spirit of being gifted it in the first place. 

but it is possible to buy conversion kits that will change the standard 8.4 inch brake disks to 7.5 inch cooper disks, whiuch will fit inside 10 inch wheels.

Yeah the 7.5 inch disk kit is about £200 or so from minispares which allows you to fit 10" wheels. Since the last time I saw it it's grown a set of 12" steels though which suit it rather nicely- Much prefer them to the minilites. They can go on ebay to fund 0.000000001% of the cost of the restoration. I can save a bit of money not buying the brake conversion kit. 

What are the plans for the engine? Standard? Honda vtec? Ford V4?

BMC diesel when funds allow. Nah, bog standard. It's only done 17,000 miles so it seems daft to rip out the only good bit. 

So apparently the brakes work now:

11304106_10153064099328477_268554283_n_z

Honourary SVM:  11311018_10153064099743477_928646293_n_z

11418457_10153064100043477_636410484_n_z

And to rust rest next to my other prized chod: 

11348840_10153064100423477_2048250555_n_

Is that your X1/9 under there?  Cover the Min likewise, or the next time you see it there'll be significantly less...  ;)

Yeah, It's resting at the moment because of the pain in the arse that is living in London. No garage, no drive, parking permits. I've got a nice cover for the mini too. 

i know that the pics above aren't very big, but the car doesn't look too bad in them!

I know, from certain angles it seems like it doesn't need much. The boot/rear valance is the worst bit. I haven't seen it for a year or so but in my mind it just gets nearer and nearer completion by itself. 

What do you mean by replacement panels, rather than what, fabricating sections? Just curious.

Panels are mega cheap.

Sorry I didn't reply before - yes, I meant exactly that. I'll be so much easier. You don't have to replace the whole panel each time either, you can just use the section you need. Either way, it saves you the fabrication time.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hey y'all, thinking about selling this little pink princess. 

I've put for sale up but really I guess I'm asking how much we reckon this would be worth since it's probably not too appealing to most of autoshite. 

Mostly we like to laugh at overpriced minis don't we  :-D

• 1 year later...