Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed that. Just two small things though:

1) Probably best not to mention that you bought breakdown cover after breaking down. Kinda against most policies and breakdown cover is a type of insurance...

2) Get yourself a mallet. Handy not only for trying to help free stuck parts, but also I've found handy as a tool to tap the end of a spanner like a poor mans impact wrench.

I enjoyed that. Just two small things though:

1) Probably best not to mention that you bought breakdown cover after breaking down. Kinda against most policies and breakdown cover is a type of insurance...

2) Get yourself a mallet. Handy not only for trying to help free stuck parts, but also I've found handy as a tool to tap the end of a spanner like a poor mans impact wrench.

I have a rubber mallet somewhere, it went missing recently.

I'm not overly fussed regards the RAC given I've heard nothing but bad things about their services. Their website says they don't cover cars that were broken down at the time of joining but elsewhere they suggest phoning them and joining even if you've just broken down as they can still help you so I'm not sure how that works...

currently part way through watching it (16 mins in)

thoroughly enjoying it so far :)

I love your whole attitude towards it all etc  :mrgreen:

(also enjoying it for the mechanical side of things, always enjoy such vids as its an opportunity to learn new things and better understand how things work :) )

Keep up the good work and I hope she returns to the road soon, and I look forward to seeing more videos :)

IIRC - and it was a bloody long time ago - I had an open ended on the nut on the back of the start motor - and used a couple (or one and a half) extension bars plus a universal joint on the end ……… It was a bloody nightmare. I think, from the nightmarish memory - that standard 'shouldered' sockets end up rubbing on the surrounding block. If you have a slim socket - it'll fit a lot better.

Best of luck fella.

Not sure if the plan is still to fetch the engine from Bedford, offer of economical diesel Astra hatchback stands. 

It is, vague plans are coming together regards transport between me and Zelandeth. Cheers for the offer though, if things change I'll give you a shout!

IIRC - and it was a bloody long time ago - I had an open ended on the nut on the back of the start motor - and used a couple (or one and a half) extension bars plus a universal joint on the end ……… It was a bloody nightmare. I think, from the nightmarish memory

I've fitted three starter motors to this car and I also have a vague memory of taking it off with an open ended on the back and many extension bars at the front. I also recall it being a nightmarish experience, not aided by the fact the arse end of my engine pisses oil so the entire area around the starter is covered in sludge. The 1850 was much easier, the hardest bit was catching the starter when it came off as it was directly above my face...

Do you know about this little trick? Might give you a bit more leverage on the starter nuts/bolts.

It's not leverage that's the issue so much as actually getting anything on the nut/bolt and having space to turn it, the subframe is in absolutely the wrong place for decent access. Hopefully with a bit more working room and an extra extension bar for the socket it'll put up less of a fight. 

I have used the 2 spanner tactic before, and indeed using anything else I can wedge in the ring end of a spanner for extra leverage!

Yes the engine has to come out from above, the subframe is underneath. The gearbox, if that had to be removed, (which it doesn't here) also comes out from above inside the car.

Having said that, when you finally get the new engine it might be easier to slide the gearbox back a little, the subframe will support it. Just thinking it might be easier to line the input shaft up by having the engine in place first then pushing the gearbox on to it rather than try to manhandle the engine on to the 'box. Depends how many hands you have available at the time.

Watching with interest.

Cheers all!

There is no real reason to remove the starter other than to reduce weight and allow me to clean it up.

Engine has to come out the top, you can drop the whole front subframe out but that requires the front of the car to be lifted comically high to get the clearance.

Bonnet is a two man job to remove/refit easily. Just a shame none of the nose can be removed for ease of getting the motor out, although once the rad is out there will be plenty of space.

Very random thought here,and I know it comes down to monies and neighbours etc,but if you had a box trailer or an old horse box,that would make perfect on site garage for working on stuff,bit pikey though

Not a bad idea, although I reckon parking a horse box on my street would rapidly lead to my eviction given one neighbour phoned the police when I put up a tent in the back yard to re-proof it before ShiteFest and has already said she'd be "monitoring" my car related escapades because she suspects me of running an illegal car selling enterprise. (One that involves keeping cars for 6 years and spending more than their value on them, seemingly).

She's gonna' love it when a bunch of local Shiters turn up on the 3rd of March with an engine crane and tools and remove/strip down an engine at the side of the road...

As an added bonus my street in early March last year looked like this:

post-19482-0-08549700-1549802901_thumb.jpg

She's gonna' love it when a bunch of local Shiters turn up on the 3rd of March with an engine crane and tools and remove/strip down an engine at the side of the road...

Does that mean the ol' Green Doloshite will be coming down to Shitefest? :)

As for annoying neighbors, I found whipping out my phone and start recording them shuts them up very quick or stops being hassled in the future.

Does that mean the ol' Green Doloshite will be coming down to Shitefest? :)

Only if,

A: I get the new engine transported, reconditioned and fitted before the event, and

B: I can be arsed driving it so far. The Doloshite is too loud and unpleasant at 60mph+ for hours on end. Avoiding motorways Google reckons it's a 12 hour trip each way if you avoid the motorways, £175 in petrol at 35mpg... The alternative is taking the Acclaim down the motorway at 7 hours each way and £100 in petrol at 40mpg...

Only if,

A: I get the new engine transported, reconditioned and fitted before the event, and

B: I can be arsed driving it so far. The Doloshite is too loud and unpleasant at 60mph+ for hours on end. Avoiding motorways Google reckons it's a 12 hour trip each way if you avoid the motorways, £175 in petrol at 35mpg... The alternative is taking the Acclaim down the motorway at 7 hours each way and £100 in petrol at 40mpg...

All I see is excuses!

Excellent stuff!

That's presuming that we've moved house by then (bloody hope so) and it hasn't fall through (bloody hope it doesn't)! Also presuming I haven't fallen in love with the 1100 so much that I'm driving it around everywhere instead.

Or if both cars are usable at that point, maybe mr_70s could fly down from Glasgow to Bristol and then experience driving a proper[ly shit] sports car?

Despite moving to south of Bristol, it will still actually be a nearly 2 hr journey if I keep off the motorways though.

Is it the Morris Oxford for you??