Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

The engine sounds great if you have your foot to the floor, nay a bad noise made. Anything less and it sounds like a cement mixer full of marbles...

It should be making an appearance at the Biggar (this Sunday) and Bo'Ness car shows + this month's Scotoshite meet.

Shortly after this meeting I went to reverse into a parking space outside my flat and the bloody thing stalled and refused to restart. I didn't want to crank it over masses as the starter is outrageously loud and it was midnight so I pushed it into it's space. My back hurts now.

For the lazy and those weak of limb; stick it in gear and crank the starter, if the road's reasonably flat it doesn't put much strain on the starter over and above that of spinning the engine, just don't do it for more than 10 seconds at a time with a minute or 2 between for cooling down. This has got me out of a few places where pushing wasn't an option and ZOMGdeathtraffik! was an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to get the Civic roadworthy today.

Wrangled a mate in to help bleed the brakes, got them working although I suspect the O/S/R disc might be warped.

post-19482-0-51255800-1534698819_thumb.jpg

Went to reattach the handbrake cables to find they were seized, lovely. Gave up on them.

Then tried to jump start it with the Acclaim.

post-19482-0-76311800-1534698826_thumb.jpg

No luck at all, starter churns for half a revolution and then the electrics die. If the Acclaim is disconnected the Civic's central locking won't even work. I assume the battery is deader than a dead thing on international dead day.

Thank fuck I have some actual working cars...

post-19482-0-45348600-1534698833_thumb.jpg

Parents and girlfriend are of the opinion I should just scrap it but I really need to make something from it's sale. Problem being the MOT is up at the end of next month and the insurance needs renewing on Sept 12th, more shit that I can't actually afford.

Sensible head. I'd say bin the Honda. Make sure it's definitely the the battery, see what it needs for the mot and either sell on with a year's ticket or go the spears & reapers route. If the Dolo and Acclaim are proving to be reasonably reliable transport then put the money into them for improvements*

Silly head. I'd say bin the Honda. Make sure it's definitely the the battery, see what it needs for the mot and either sell on with a year's ticket or go the spears & reapers route. Then enter many roffles.

If the Civic has timing belt history then it's probably worth investing in. High spec models of this age with belt history and long ticket seem to get offered for about a grand. If it doesn't then it's going to be a more difficult decision whether just to cut your losses and run. Battery, cables and test are going to be at least £150 plus whatever the test throws up. 

I'd be tempted to try and find a scrapyard battery for £notmuch and then see if you can get it driving to assess what else it needs. Discs, tyres, exhaust could easily turn it into bridge fodder. 

I had the timing belt done at around 70k IIRC, exhaust is a stainless one fitted a couple of years back. This was the MOT from 6,000 miles ago:

post-19482-0-98636800-1534719882_thumb.jpg

The original plan was to wing it up at £800ish to offset the Acclaim purchase. Now the fucker has been sitting for an age and has fuck all MOT left I'd be happy to get anything over scrap/WeBuyAnyCar money, but I need to actually get the thing driving.

My plan is indeed to find a scrapyard battery for £notmuch to achieve just that. My issue is limited time and money means that cars sit for ages until I fix them, never terribly good for their reliability...

Ze Civic, it lives!

post-19482-0-62891200-1534760918_thumb.jpg

I'd love to say I now have three working cars, but the mighty Doloshite had to donate it's battery to the cause...

post-19482-0-94271100-1534760897_thumb.jpg

Once the Civic had actual electricity it fired up on the first turn of the key. As expected of a Honda Civic.

The rear brakes are back to working again although they are still constantly grinding. A run around the block shows the pads are making very uneven contact on the discs so I assume the discs are just gouged/warped to fuck. The O/S makes a rhythmic "woosh" sound which suggests to me it's warped. The calipers wound back easily (unlike the originals) so I assume they are fine.

I'm not the type to do it or condone it either - but as it moves.... and it's a Civic.... it'll wang through the auctions nae bother I'd have thought. Not sure on what they go through for though as it's stupid money over here. Tis only a battery - second hand one to get it 'over the line' and you're off to the races motor factors.......

Good luck

Spent yonks t'other day hunting for my battery charger but it is seriously lost. I may have left it at my mate's place in Aberdeenshire....

I hope to pick up a battery from a breakers tomorrow.

If anybody wants to relieve me of this fine automobile before the 12th of Sept (when the insurance is due) £500 would secure it and I'll fit new rear discs for the lucky buyer!

Some small updates:

Civic - Ordered new brake discs. 100% sure O/S/R is warped

Doloshite - Still refusing to start/stalling out. Found the ignition timing is drifting again. I broke down at a junction yesterday and a woman in a BINI Cooper S behind me went mental, basting the horn and gesticulating wildly before powering around me at 6000rpm. I was only stopped for 10 seconds...

Acclaim - Still fairly alright. Found out that if I beep the horn the radio turns off. Not even going to question it...

Misc - Ordered a timing light, so I can sort the Doloshite slightly more accurately than by ear and check the Acclaim.

Acclaim - Still fairly alright. Found out that if I beep the horn the radio turns off. Not even going to question it...

Misc - Ordered a timing light, so I can sort the Doloshite slightly more accurately than by ear and check the Acclaim.

Acclaim I bet that's a shared power feed  & the horn uses too much leccy to keep the radio running.

I've always set points equipped cars with a test lamp, it's not as accurate so I'm told but always came out spot on & I found it much less of a faff.

Acclaim I bet that's a shared power feed & the horn uses too much leccy to keep the radio running.

Most likely the case.

I've decided to not bother reinsuring the Civic as it just isn't worth the cost/hassle and I'm too busy sorting better* cars.

I am now open to derisory offers before I shove it on eBay as spears and repares.

It runs and drives, just over 100k on the clock. Engine and gearbox are gr8 m8, timing belt done at 70kish. O/S/R brake disc is warped (new ones can be supplied) and it needs front pads but the car stops fine. Handbrake cables are disconnected at the callipers.

One rear tyre is a bit cracked/perished for some reason.

It passed its last MOT at the strict garage which condemned the Acclaim so it can't be that fucked but I'm way too brassic to afford the insurance AND couple of hundred quid it might need.

Went to breakers.

Found battery to fit Civic, check with metre. 12.4v

Bloke says if I'm not in any massive rush he can stick it on the charger for a bit.

I piss off for half an hour to get lunch.

Come back, hand over £20 and fuck off with my battery.

Attach battery to Civic. Half a turn of the starter and it dies.

Nae power.

Try jumping from the Acclaim, nae luck

Fuck me, £20 and 3 hours of my life and I still have a dead Civic.

post-19482-0-91726400-1535385048_thumb.jpg

The bloke from next door came home as I was packing up the jump leads. Apparently he just sold his old man's identical '05 Civic as it was costing a fortune in repairs, guy paid £600 and drove it away to strip for parts....

Civic has a backwards battery. As does the Dolomite, but that also has a brand new battery.

Given it'll cost £400 to insure the Civic + whatever it'll cost to MOT and good ones sell for £600-700 it I'm sticking it on eBay tonight as spares and repairs. There is no point in bothering with it any more at this point, it's pouring money into something with no hope of any return. By the end of next month it'll probably be a Zanussi regardless of how many batteries I buy it.

I think Lion batteries are Yuasa, so whatever the Acclaim has will be better.

Yes/no. Tape the eurocarparts receipt to the battery and if it does crap out in less than 3 years, get it swapped at the nearest ECP branch. I've had quite a few Lion batteries, never had a dud yet. Pretty much as shit as everything else nowadays.