Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

My logic behind the repairs is as thus:

I need to learn to weld because I have always have shite that needs welding.

I have shite which I like that needs welding ASAP.

I have access to a place where I can do welding.

The shite that needs welding ASAP has no financial worth and I've already spent £1200 on it.

May as well do the welding then. The bonus being that doing lots of under body work on the Acclaim means that more visible repairs to the Doloshite done at a later date will hopefully be less hideous.

As FOAD mentioned I managed to leave my large sheet of 1.2mm offcut in the back seat of the Rover and didn't realise until I got to Edinburgh. The Lada floorpan now means that the Acclaim is now a true multicultural car as it features a Japanese made engine, a British made body and Russian repair materials...

The reg is NJ57UUH, a 2.0 'Namura' model. No rusty arches, no V5, 87426 non warranted mileage. The MOT history shows that the mileage is almost certainly correct and that it has the usual underbody surface rust but nothing tragic.

They only book at £740 clean, £520 trade and £290 tatty. This one had no docs so £450 was about right.

If you can get a year out of a car like this and weigh it in for £200 - and spend nothing on it - you've had cheap motoring. That's how you do it.

Welcome to my life

Glad you fixed the acclaim, I've always fancied those, particularly a loaded CD model.

If you've got the time and commitment then why not? I would have said personally keep dolly as no MOT required and maybe sack off the other two and get a better daily but in reality mechanically you've not had any major trouble with the acclaim, you enjoy driving it and it should now be pretty good for a while to come.

I was told not to bother repairing the engine on my Zafira as you can pick them up anywhere for £0.50p but in reality, you can't and even if you do they're worse than the one you've already got!!! I liked the look of mine with a few irmscher bits on it, had zero rust and drove absolutely lovely.

Did the engine swap 14 months ago now and it's just driven me home another 120 miles trouble free and in great comfort plus being a 2.2 a decent turn off pace.

Well worth persevering.

Well done times one billion.