Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

The other side is the same deal but looks less shit and is already partially repaired so I'll pretend it doesn't exist for now. The current range of TDC panels cover this area:

post-19482-0-98418900-1550853302_thumb.jpg

Which is pretty much what I need. The yellow panel is £60 and I only need the leading edge so I may try and fabricate something to fit instead... Will likely also need some extra metal for the area above the arch lip which the red panel will cover but it's a simple enough shape. The inner seems comparatively decent. I'd say the end result of peeling that repair panel off is actually slightly better than I thought it'd be in that there is actually still some metal there!

As a repairer of rusty old bodge, may I recommend you find a way to get the £60 for the panel.  It'll be shitloads easier than making it from scratch.  I wish someone made rear arches for Princesses, you don't know how easy you've got it, m8.

I'm impressed that the level of bodge on that arch far outweighed what was actually required.  They could have just used bunched up newspaper and fibreglass filler instead of going to the trouble and expense of a repair panel.

As a repairer of rusty old bodge, may I recommend you find a way to get the £60 for the panel. It'll be shitloads easier than making it from scratch. I wish someone made rear arches for Princesses, you don't know how easy you've got it, m8.

I'm impressed that the level of bodge on that arch far outweighed what was actually required. They could have just used bunched up newspaper and fibreglass filler instead of going to the trouble and expense of a repair panel.

See, it's not just me:)

Can you not just buy similar style arches for cheaper and weld them in? I'm sure derskine used fiesta arches on his imp.

I need to do the rear arches on my 305 but can't find replacements anywhere so ended up going up to knaven with a battery powered grinder and chopped some out of a couple of 305 vans.

The knobvan I used volvo 360 arches because I had a set lying around, it didn't look that bad.

ad2627d34510117a32091970ce51e69a.jpg515626c6dc050adc09140fef47081bfb.jpgb4a4006f3e0ecff2f0412f4527853e4f.jpg33f540a768f3e624ba5e4835e1f00610.jpg

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

attachicon.gif52391279_410094909746782_2863576754918785024_n.jpg

attachicon.gif53055661_2212231488836432_6806371902471274496_n.jpg

OH FUCKING SHIT STICKS. I WENT AND POKED THE RUST.

Suspicions of Bodge It and Scarper Ltd quality repairs confirmed. Waste of a decent repair panel, that.

The original arch hidden underneath still had giffer touch-ups in the wrong shade of green. Was probably half decent prior to the "repair"... TDC do panels to cover the area affected so it's aaaaall good*

I had a similar experience this afternoon with my Triumph.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190222_153047.jpg

Wished I'd just left it well alone.

I fucked it off and will sleep on it before I look at it again tomorrow.

Triumphs and large quantities of rust go hand in hand. You would have to be a monumental idiot to go poking and think everything will be alright...

post-20228-0-26302800-1550882713_thumb.jpg

post-20228-0-56284600-1550882756_thumb.jpg

Despite the lessons learned that day, I still poked at the rust on the 75's sills, which had predictable results.

Don't be like Captain70s, HillmanImp and I chaps, DON'T POKE THE FUCKING RUST.

P.S: Great result on landing the free engine.

Can you not just buy similar style arches for cheaper and weld them in? I'm sure derskine used fiesta arches on his imp.

I need to do the rear arches on my 305 but can't find replacements anywhere so ended up going up to knaven with a battery powered grinder and chopped some out of a couple of 305 vans.

The knobvan I used volvo 360 arches because I had a set lying around, it didn't look that bad.

I did have that thought but the Dolly arches are an unusual shape and 'cause the rust extends so far I'd need to recreate the swage lines which'd just be a fuck about.

Do you still own the 1850?

I do, but I can't steal it's arches 'cause it's nearly back on the road, and it's arches are made of wob. ;)

Some bodging twat did something similar on my Capri years ago. They obviously had rotten arches so chopped off the outer arches, then chopped off the rusty inner arch where the two spot weld together. Then slapped a new arch over the top, lap joined it on with spot welds to hold it on, filled the join and most of the rear quarter panel and painted it.

They didn’t even attempt to replace the inner arch they cut out though so the two were left unattached! Eventually damp and road crap worked it’s way into the gap and then the badly welded seam and it rotted again, bubbling and pushing all the filler out from the inside.

It’s not that much more hard work to do it properly!

I needed whole new rear quarters to restore it this time. They’re huge and cost over a grand each!

post-3771-0-30473800-1550939741_thumb.jpeg

Reet. The local Herald engine was collected with no issue (despite there being ALL THE STAIRS).

post-19482-0-00294900-1551034157_thumb.jpeg

post-19482-0-75752200-1551034167_thumb.jpeg

post-19482-0-06890400-1551034181_thumb.jpeg

post-19482-0-23961200-1551034190_thumb.jpeg

(Photos copyright 320touring Photographic Services Ltd)

Cheers to all the peeps who aided, as it did rather need 4 pairs of hands/arms/legs. The selection of chod on my street was also muchly satisfying.

Sadly my downstairs neighbour saw us loading it into the basement and threw a bit of a fit. Demanded it was removed and that she was "done with my nonsense" and was going to contact the building factors. No doubt the police will also be summoned as they often are when she is involved...

Due to this the planned engine removal party on the 3rd is cancelled as the police will almost certainly also be in attendance and I'm sure I'll get in trouble for having an un-roadworthy car on a public street if nothing else, which is hassle neither I nor anybody else can be fucked with. Essentially I'm going to have to lie as low as possible as I'm now on eggshells and any sizeable fine will land me bankrupt, single and homeless... She says the basement is for the use of the ground floor flats only, when I said I was happy to speak to the owners of the ground floor flats and building factors she slammed the door in my face. Hey ho, onwards and upwards.

With that in mind I'm now looking for space to do an engine swap in the Glasgow area, if anybody is aware of any area suitable please give a shout as the old plan is, in the local vernacular, away tae fuck. The main goal is to rebuild an engine and have it ready to just drop in so with any luck the car shouldn't be in place for more than a day, but we all know how cars are...

I did see this in Morrisons car park on my way to grab of coffee from Costa though, so I'll take it as a good omen:

post-19482-0-98802200-1551034376_thumb.jpeg

I had a busy body like that when I stayed in a block of flats years ago. She kept moaning about me keeping my bike chained up to the railings outside both our doors inside the close. She eventually got the factors involved who said she wasn’t allowed to keep her pot of plastic plants outside her door either, I didn’t laugh too much as this as though it was annoying as it meant I couldn’t use my bike anymore as I had no where to keep it. I really have no idea what spite keeps these sort of people going.

if the motor is taxed, insured and has a mot then plod cant or wont do anything, the fact that the engine is shagged is irrelevant. the neebur sounds like a inbred auld cow, hee haw to do and all day to do it, you arent breaking any laws by working on your car on the street, as long as any oil or fluid spills are dealt with then you are sound. 

tell the auld bitch to go and take a flying feck to herself

if the motor is taxed, insured and has a mot then plod cant or wont do anything, the fact that the engine is shagged is irrelevant.

MOT/tax exempt and insured, but Plod will take one look at the fact you can see the fuel tank through the rear wing and say "that's nae roadworthy"...

Right be proactive here;

Cover any sharp rusty edges with duct tape, wack it over any holes too.

Report your neighbor for harassment- claim it's rascially motivated as you are an English pig dog and you want to save them time for when she makes her next report.

Tape application already planned for tomorrow morn. ;)

I may also clear the basement of my other stuff that's been down there for years that she wasn't aware of as she doesn't actually use the basement. In the same way she's complained about me taking up parking spaces despite neither driving or owning a car..