Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

That's presuming that we've moved house by then (bloody hope so)! Also presuming I haven't fallen in love with the 1100 so much that I'm driving it around everywhere instead.

Or if both cars are usable at that point, maybe mr_70s could fly down from Glasgow to Bristol and then experience driving a proper* sports car?

Despite moving to south of Bristol, it will still actually be a nearly 2 hr journey if I keep off the motorways though.

Is it the Morris Oxford for you??

That depends on a number of things, mainly financial, and time. Luckily not moving house..

All I see is excuses!

Pretty much. I shall not hide the fact that I'd rather use a car with an overdrive gear! I don't really mind driving it long distances but it's too low geared to be economical or sound happy on motorways where even lorries will outpace you!

How much of that is only true because of its utterly horlixed engine though?

60mph on the motorway is still 3,800rpm in top even with a healthy engine, the car is more suited to twisty B roads and darting about town. Besides, driving it for over an hour or two gives me a sore back. :P

My old 1850HL would've been a far better choice for the trip if it were still on the go, 60mph is still 3,300rpm in top but I used to get 38-40mpg on long runs as it had the torque to make holding a constant speed effortless. The driver's seat was also much less collapsed...

Flying would be far easier, faster and cheaper but ultimately I reckon I'd feel like a bit of a ponce for not driving there in something at least 30 years old...

The long haul in the Dolly would be heroic - going for it in the Acclaim - insane and optimistic - flying down and rolling up in Sic's BGT - helpful, courteous and giving the hard working chod a rest.....

Obviously MPG can be vastly improved by doing a fair chunk of the journey on the back of the old big yellow bus :-D

Besides, driving it for over an hour or two gives me a sore back. :P

My old 1850HL would've been a far better choice for the trip if it were still on the go, 60mph is still 3,300rpm in top but I used to get 38-40mpg on long runs as it had the torque to make holding a constant speed effortless. The driver's seat was also much less collapsed...

Replacement seat diaphragms are pretty cheap.

Now I feel bad for thrapping Reliants up and down the motorway at 65-70,which I think was around 4800rpm...

The last time the Doloshite's engine touched 4,000rpm it dismantled itself in protest. A decent engine may change my opinions in fairness...

With regards the seat, the base isn't all that bad aside from being a bit flatter than it probably should be. The issue is the back rest, there is a steel bar which runs up to support the headrest which digs into my back, presumably the padding has disintegrated over time. Probably a simple enough fix I've just never been arsed as I very rarely drive the car for more than an hour or two at a time...

I seem to have agreed to collect a Triumph Herald 1200cc OHV engine, sight unseen, advertised on Gumtree last night.

The good news is that it's free and only a few miles away. The bad is that I have no idea if a 1200 Herald engine will actually mate up to the Doloshite's gearbox, but it was free. So fuck it.

Dolomite 1300

This unit provides power and torque figures of 58 bhp (59 PS/43 kW) at 5500 rpm and 92 Nm (68 lbft/9.4 kgm) at 3300 rpm respectively.

Herald 1200

Claimed maximum power of the Herald 1200 was 39 bhp (29 kW), as against the 34.5 bhp (25.7 kW) claimed for the 948 cc model.

But then free and I guess the dollys original engine could have been putting that out around that at the end of its life.

...60mph on the motorway is still 3,800rpm in top....

:shock:  - that is a lot of revs to be buzzing in your eardrums. I thought the CX was a bit high at 2700rpm (60mph), but 3800 is a lot  :shock:  :shock:  .

Out of interest, what is the final drive ratio on the Doloshite - is there no taller final drive available?

:shock:  - that is a lot of revs to be buzzing in your eardrums. I thought the CX was a bit high at 2700rpm (60mph), but 3800 is a lot  :shock:  :shock:  .

Out of interest, what is the final drive ratio on the Doloshite - is there no taller final drive available?

You could fit a diff from a 1500/1850 to improve rpm at motorway speeds but you can't really afford to loose the acceleration... O/D Spitfire gearbox would be nice but they command decent money as Spitfire owners all want one.

Even the Acclaim with it's 5th gear is doing 3,000rpm at 60mph, exactly the same as my '05 Civic!

This free engine can only go well. If it fits in the dolly, tremendous, a working engine is better than a dead one. If it doesn’t fit, no problem, sell it on and top up the piggy bank.

That’s a win-win in my books.

All I can think of in a constructive manner is that you are in a similar situation as dollywobbler with the Fox. Same engine, different car, so there may be differences between the engines but you have the original to swap parts over so it all comes together nicely.

Crack on I say!

I can't remember if the Herald/Dolomite gearboxes are a straight swap but the engine backplates are easy enough to swap over. The front plate will probably need swapping too as that has the engine mounts on. That's a bit more hassle as it sits between the block and timing chain cover but still pretty simple.

If it won't fit you could run it 'on the bench' to assess its condition, if it sounds good with no smoke clean it up, paint it and flog it on for a tidy sum. All within your capability.

If you do this ^^, make sure you have the camera filming so we can all see your grumpy neighbors reaction to an engine being run out on the street with no silencer!

This free engine can only go well. If it fits in the dolly, tremendous, a working engine is better than a dead one. If it doesn’t fit, no problem, sell it on and top up the piggy bank.

This is my thinking. The thing is 6 miles away so I can't really lose*.

If it won't fit you could run it 'on the bench' to assess its condition, if it sounds good with no smoke clean it up, paint it and flog it on for a tidy sum. All within your capability.

I do like the concept of firing up an engine on the pavement outside my flat... 

Several local Shitters offered help with transport and the esteemed Mr 320Touring will be aiding my engine collecshiun by way of veg powered Germanic steel. (Shame it's nae the Oxford tho).

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

Don't poke the rust.

post-19482-0-33451100-1550851635_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-52878200-1550851642_thumb.jpg

OH FUCKING SHIT STICKS. I WENT AND POKED THE RUST.

Suspicions of Bodge It and Scarper Ltd quality repairs confirmed. Waste of a decent repair panel, that.

The original arch hidden underneath still had giffer touch-ups in the wrong shade of green. Was probably half decent prior to the "repair"... TDC do panels to cover the area affected so it's aaaaall good*