Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

The tape-head is the little square boxy bit which the tape rubs against. Two tiny screws hold it in place, adjusting these alters how the head 'sees' the tape.

(Not a good description, bound to be a quick Youtube guide - well worth doing).

If you're cleaning the head then clean the rubber pinch-wheel too, it'll be caked in brown muck.

When you push the tape in it works a mechanism to bring the tape head out and start it all running.

Push a big screwdriver into the tape-slot as if you were installing a tape, you should be able to push the spring-loaded mechanism back and start it all going. (You have to do this quite quickly otherwise the mechanism may try to trap the screwdriver. Can release it all by just pressing 'eject' button).

(Is it all still connected to supply & speakers?).

Right. Got it more or less working:

https://youtu.be/_UisEu-2OZo

It seems there is a little bit of play in the cassette mechanism but prodding the eject button re-positions it a bit so you can get it to work. We shall see how well this copes with Glasgow's shit roads on my commute to work tomorrow.

It is at least easy enough to open the radio up with it still connected up in the car for fiddling/testing purposes.

Tape head. Clean this bit with cotton buds and something which doesn't leave a residue. It's tiny mounting screws are adjustable. Run the unit with the lid off and a tape in it and listen to the sound coming from the speakers. Adjust as necessary, sounds like your one is either too high or too low and is only reading half of the width of the tape.

rFsQJpp.jpg

Set the unit running and clean all the brown shit off this rubber wheel bit whilst it's turning with a cotton bud, etc.

jagtyd2.jpg

I'm not sure if you can get isopropyl alcohol anymore. I used to use it at work for calibrating instruments.

Window-cleaning vinegar may work well. Doesn't have the aroma of Old Spice but also helps keep my armpits fresh too.

You can.  You can buy it in the little head cleaning kits.  I've seen them at supermarkets and picked up a couple from Maplin when they were still around.

A little goes a long way.

Vinegar's not a bad shout but a bit on the acidic side.  Needs to evaporate quickly...

At the moment it's the only cassette tape that I have which is a complilation of "rock and roll hits" ranging from the 50s through 70s and of which very few are the original recordings.

Once my cassette to 3.5 audio jack arrives it'll be one of the assorted 8000+ tracks on my iPod...

Tape head. Clean this bit with cotton buds and something which doesn't leave a residue. It's tiny mounting screws are adjustable. Run the unit with the lid off and a tape in it and listen to the sound coming from the speakers. Adjust as necessary, sounds like your one is either too high or too low and is only reading half of the width of the tape.

I couldn't find any screws to adjust it, it is mounted on a plastic base but winding those screws in/out seemed to make no difference. The fact that popping the tape in and out can fix the issue suggests that there is a certain degree of free movement in positioning of the head...

^ It does. Maybe there's no adjustment with your existing unit, I was going by memory from messing about with 80s tape players.

But if you can make the head sit right and play your choonz by pressing eject / play a few times then that's fine.

After a bit of use the cassette player is now working reliably, it doesn't look hideously out of place in the dash either. I've sourced a proper Acclaim example but that is still only MW/LW so I may stick that in the Doloshite and keep the Unisef in the Acclaim for it's FM functionality...

post-19482-0-90543500-1532959662_thumb.jpg

I clocked up another 400 miles this weekend with me driving up to Strathdon via Glenshee, Braemar etc and then over to Aberdeen and back down to Glasgow on the motorway. Averaged 45mpg and used almost exactly a full tank over the trip (no oil or coolant use). That's 4000 miles travelled since purchase!

post-19482-0-70398200-1532960053_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-70127900-1532960060_thumb.jpg

I really must get my finger out and get the rough idle speed and shit exhaust sorted. I reckon it could probably do with new front pads as it has started squeaking a bit under a heavy braking.

I've done sod all with the Doloshite to be honest, been too damn busy. I have some car shows to attend soon so I need to replace the engine bay fuel lines and pack the nice new holes in the front panel/wings with filler and give it a fresh rattle can blow over....

post-19482-0-86149700-1532960475_thumb.jpg

You can. You can buy it in the little head cleaning kits. I've seen them at supermarkets and picked up a couple from Maplin when they were still around.

A little goes a long way.

Vinegar's not a bad shout but a bit on the acidic side. Needs to evaporate quickly...

IPA can be obtained from popular internetz auction sites.

The Doloshite was looking a bit grubby and neglected so I figured I'd give it a wash...

By driving it to work in the rain.

post-19482-0-59081200-1533559018_thumb.jpg

Really need to use this car more. Ended up convoying Along the M74 with a delightfully tatty V reg VW Camper, which was cool

Really need to use this car more. 

Aaaaaaaand, now I remember why I don't.

Had great fun bombing down the motorway listening to classic rock with the window down, car was going really well. As I stopped at a set of lights near Anniesland Morrisons a taxi pulled alongside and the driver informed me that when I braked only the N/S brake light came on and the O/S rear light went out. Classic British Leyland earthing problems.

Shortly after this meeting I went to reverse into a parking space outside my flat and the bloody thing stalled and refused to restart. I didn't want to crank it over masses as the starter is outrageously loud and it was midnight so I pushed it into it's space. My back hurts now.

post-19482-0-62927300-1533596925_thumb.jpg

I also found out that seemingly the pipe twixt pump and carb is supposed to be metal and routed away from the engine over the gearbox, mine has always been rubber! So that'll need sorting and I suspect will end my fuel vaporisation issues given this only started when I fitted some PVC pipe as a temp fix to get it out of the garage.

A second hand set of Civic brake calipers also landed today and actually function so they'll be getting fitted asap.

Is this the dash panel you need on the Acclaim? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-1984-TRIUMPH-ACCLAIM-4-DOOR-FUSE-BOX-LID/302248071789

s-l1600.jpg

Complete exhaust available from Germany for a couple of hundred delivered: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMASAF-Full-Exhaust-System-Triumph-Acclaim-1-3-1982-1985/401363680212

See what you mean about the HT leads too.  I can ask at our local motorfactors for you if you want, he's sometimes able to get the most obscure things in for £not-too-much.

Aye, I'd spotted the exhaust previously. It's just a bit pricey for me at the moment, I've also been burned before by exhausts (ha!) arriving that don't have a hope in hell of fitting so I'm quite wary of buying something as far afield as Germany...

By all means ask your local place, I think my last chance before ordering custom length ones is the hope somewhere will have them sitting on a shelf in a store room somewhere!

(I'm ignoring the fuse box cover for now, it's invisible unless you're under the dash and I is poor ;) )

Video content!

I really enjoyed watching these. Not sure if it was the detail you go into or just your soft, soothing Scottish accent but it kept me watching. I was worried about you getting run over as you wandered around on that road though.

One small thing - don't leave the ignition on for too long without the engine running. If the points are closed and coil is powered constantly (i.e. points not switching), it can cause them to overheat and damage them.

Only other thing is that it's a shame you didn't do an engine startup in the walk around video. Something very satisfying seeing an engine start.

That'd be 'cause I'm from Leeds.

Although in fairness people up in Aberdeenshire thought I was from the borders or Edinburgh, Southerners think I'm Scottish and one drunk lass in Carlisle insisted I was Irish...

Living in Scotland for 18 years has given me an ever changing mongrel of an accent!