Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

Papped.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FAME AT LAST!

I'll just resort to playing with my Corgi model one, with working steering don't you know!

I need to acquire one of these at some point!

Can it come to Scotoshite Mistah,?

I see no reason why not, other than I don't know the where's and when's and work shifts may disagree...

The colour is Ember Glow

Really must get it out and polish it, there really is nothing wrong with it other than the floppy wipers, its just a bit dusty.

That's a genuine nice colour -  I've been thinking about a colour change on the herald when it actually gets some time spent on it. 

The Rowan Tree Marsden's pub, Armadale.its the one beside the Asda.

7.30ish Last wednesday of the month - so the 28th of March.

Sounds good to me.

I've got two.  Will fish them out

Oooooooooh.

In Triumph news I went out this morning to do some bits and bobs. Tightened up the alternator belt so we'll see if that stops squealing, starter is still super sluggish in a "no power" kind of way but will just about start the engine. Once the engine has run it's back up to strength again...

Then I detached the bodge-tastic downpipe with the goal of bodging it even further, spent fucking ages carefully lowering a power supply out of the window of my 3rd floor flat down to the street for my grinder to work for about 3 seconds and then refuse to turn back on. FFS. Naturally it is forecast to rain for the next million years.

I've also had to buy some METRIC spanners and a new welding mask as I've realised I've left mine 200 miles away in the boot of the 1850HL...

I've got a pair of NOS front wings for one of these lying about, just sayin'

I think they'd be better off going to a worse car, dare I say it! My O/S wing is a bit frilly towards the back of the arch but overall they aren't too bad, now rear arches/lower rear wing repair panels on the other hand...

DEDICATED

Involves attaching two long extension cables together down at the car, lowering a length of string from my bedroom window, tying the plug of the shortest extension lead to the end of the string and using that to hoist the plug back up to my bedroom window while trying not to clout my downstairs neighbour's windows with the bit where the two extensions are attached. Obviously it's never as easy as that as usually the plugs/string gets snagged on the ornate stonework around the bay windows of my building, it also means me being upstairs and all my stuff being three flights of stairs away, potentially making an opportunistic thief's day...  

GR8 NEWS.

Especially for those of you who wanted to see the smoked lights fuck off...

post-19482-0-48441600-1521725918_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-65432100-1521725925_thumb.jpg

Unplug cable, undo 4 nuts, take off light, replace light, plug in cable, do up 4 nuts. Job done. I also gained a working reverse light out off the swap.

Also got my grinder going and cleaned up the downpipe and flange, just need a nice day to bust the welder out...

GR8 NEWS.

Especially for those of you who wanted to see the smoked lights fuck off...

attachicon.gif29060714_10216168902754492_6139087407855073325_o.jpg

attachicon.gif28828288_10216168902714491_8685340663980902389_o.jpg

Unplug cable, undo 4 nuts, take off light, replace light, plug in cable, do up 4 nuts. Job done. I also gained a working reverse light out off the swap.

Also got my grinder going and cleaned up the downpipe and flange, just need a nice day to bust the welder out...

Is that an extension cord trailing from your flat and across the public footway?

MU026_FULL_BODY_CAST.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit

embeddable_10d3c887-0daf-48ea-86a0-5ac6b

More Acclaim bar room bore info:

The only difference between the Triumph Acclaim and the Honda version is the seats. Apparently the Honda seats were not right for the UK market so they use Ford Cortina seat bases

I thought the Triumph Acclaim used Morris Ital front seat frames?

If you ever require a dry place to work on your car with electricity, mig welding plant and tools less than an hours drive away just let me know.

Cheers! I may well take you up on that depending on if the Acclaim needs much for it's MOT next month. I pulled out the rear seat today and found some... Interesting things.

post-19482-0-18796300-1521825104_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-36562100-1521825112_thumb.jpg

This could be interesting come MOT time depending on if they manage to poke holes in it, I couldn't but I also didn't try very hard. At some point that driver's side "repair" will have to come out and be done to a better standard. As long as there is no holes it's all good, rear seat passengers aren't worthy of seatbelts anyway.

I also investigated the wiring to the ignition:

post-19482-0-79723100-1521835168_thumb.jpg

Seems legit, I twisted the cables together a bit tighter and wrapped the whole lot in electrical tape to reduce the chances of me shorting something out with my knee. The non-functioning passenger side door lock and this wiring suggest the car has been broken into at some point...

I also did something very unusual for me and cleaned the inside of my car...

post-19482-0-50100000-1521825319_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-58876700-1521825324_thumb.jpg

A bit of warm water and fairly liquid goes a long way on vinyl it seems! I also found the bonnet and roof skins to be incredibly thin, just washing them caused a lot of flex. No wonder the roof is dented...

good god man its a honda engine not a dollopofshite give it some revs! it wont piss oil everwhere above 2.5k

:evil:

Before the exhaust fell off I gave it the beans quite a bit, great little engine. I'm limiting myself for the sake of keeping my neighbours pacified, it really is outrageously loud... 

I like tinted lights normally but the ones you had on didn't look tinted, they just looked dirty.  Stock ones are an improvement as a result.  If you're worried about rust in the back, remove the seatbelts, otherwise you might get an 'excessively corroded seatbelt anchorage point' or something like that.  Pretty sure this one is old enough to be allowed no rear seat belts.