Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

As thus I have another blue car (gotta' have a blue car and green car for driving around different bits of town for football politics) 

That's the slight problem I have with my 306 cab. Dark blue, but with the added nightmare of this dealer logo:

post-19900-0-10630100-1520724948_thumb.jpg

"RANGERS"

and these dealer plates:

post-19900-0-44719900-1520725009_thumb.jpg

"www.rangerspeugeot.co.uk"

[garage no longer main dealers - https://www.rangersgarage.co.uk ]

Which is perfectly fine for swanning around with the roof down in sunny Wiltshire, but a little thought has to be given when parking (or even driving!) anywhere round the "Dear Green Place". (Hmmm, I suppose that could be used as an excuse for a Roland Garros purchase)

Nope, I'm just incredibly good at identifying door handles and rubbing strips.

(I am legitimately shocked that I guessed correctly!)

Looks to be a lovely little giffer mobile, best of luck to you!

Also, if it's a bASe, I will eat my hat.

It's an "L" which is the lowest spec of Acclaim you could get, doesn't even have headrests and had narrower tyres than my Dolly 1300 when new! It does have a pushbutton MW/LW radio though...

So you're buying another Honda then?

Tronda Aclivic?

It's been for sale for quite some time at a price I couldn't really get behind, much less afford!

Used to be Jimbo's (The Cornhill yard chap) wife's daily car and I'd pass it parked up in Portsoy and Cornhill quite frequently. He sold it to a young guy who fitted bucket seats, a new radio, alloy wheels and tinted the lights before killing it and selling it as a non-runner.

An Acclaim owner up near Aberdeen who I know was going to buy it to break for spares but the fella wouldn't sell it if it was going to be broken, the current owner then bought it as a non-runner and found the timing belt had snapped on the non-interference engine. 

He then replaced the timing belt, had the rear arches repaired and had the car resprayed (I think he works at the body shop!), he also bought the original seats, wheels and radio from Jimbo who still had them at his yard! 

It seems to travel about Scotland a fair bit to car shows but is invariably trailered to and from locations. The MOT history is fairly clean though.

I seem to recall it being up for about £1200 for ages but it's not a fantastic example, it's a base spec car having lived a good chunk of it's life in the north east as a banger racer's wife's car and has had a hasty respray and plenty of overspray. However for £850 I think it's probably alright!

Yup, was up for auction and for sale for £1200-1500 for ages. Unsurprising it never shifted as 320's pics show the rear of the sills and rear arches will need some MIG tickling ASAP.

I may attack it with my arc welder, although I've budgeted £300 for it's MOT.

Aye, it and the Dolly will share daily duties. The Civic will be moved on once the Acclaim has landed and been evaluated.

Insurance sorted, £215 for the year with a £50 excess, that includes agreed value, use for commuting and third party cover on any other vehicle over 20 years old. Compared to the Civic which was £680 a year despite using my no-claims bonus which had a £500 excess...

Collecshun is tomorrow night, now bricking it slightly.

I also went to visit the Doloshite to collect my jack/stands/crooklock from it's boot, so I can confirm it still exists. Poor old thing, at least it has a 75 keeping it company.

post-19482-0-93505100-1521049887_thumb.jpg

The danger here is the Doloshite work gets avoided as the Acclaimoshite gets tinkered with 

I never* get myself in that sort of mess

The handy thing is that in 2 months the Doloshite will be MOT/tax exempt and there will be no constant rush to work on it, I can tinker at my own pace/budget and use it as a 2nd car for local dithering and a backup for when the daily is out of action. It's rarely broken to the point of being unusable or dangerous, it's just constantly mildly fucked... 

When the Dolly randomly loses all of it's electrics or the handbrake is useless you forgive it because it's old and crap, when the Civic blows headlight bulbs all the time or won't hold on a hill it's annoying, because it's a different sort of old and crap.

Any daily motor is going to require work/money, my theory is that if the money has to be spent I may as well spend it on old crap I actually like! I've really wanted to try owning an old car that isn't a Dolomite for quite a while but if I wait until it's a sensible idea they'll be well out of budget.

COLLECTED.

post-19482-0-86127000-1521156599_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-99585600-1521156604_thumb.jpg

Plus points:

It drives fantastically

It sounds great

It is super comfy

It is bASe

Spare set of wheels, un-smoked lights, mudflaps and various other bits and bobs in the boot

The original manual, service book etc is all present.

Free Haynes manual

Free Triumph Acclaim brochure

Free set of pliers in the glovebox

Negative points:

Windscreen wipers are both too short and the passenger side one is decorative only

Fan belt screams like an utter bitch at anything under 3k rpm.

It has ugly welding to the arse end of the sills and smol holes in the lower rear wing

Ignition barrel/shroud is loose and can be a pain in the arse when turning the key

I managed to snap my one and only door key in the petrol cap lock while filling up in Dunfermline, the spare was already snapped...

As I went to overtake a lorry the exhaust manifold and downpipe took a dislike to each other and parted ways at about 4.5k rpm, the car is now very loud. Evidence of prior paste bodgery is present

Neutral points:

I've already ordered new keys and converted the petrol cap lock to a screwdriver special

Radio only works on one speaker and that sounds fucking dire, is it even supposed to have two speakers?

Further assesment shall occur when it's not pitch black, freezing cold and raining.

Neutral points:

I've already ordered new keys and converted the petrol cap lock to a screwdriver special

Radio only works on one speaker and that sounds fucking dire, is it even supposed to have two speakers?

If they're notable concerns, I think you're doing alright* with this one.